Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #57
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I have heard spraying "pre blower" is not terribly effective in keeping IAT down. If I am wrong please tell me, I am up in the air on adding meth as well. I have IAT issues. Adding a larger heat exchange resivior as we speak to help.

Doing my build I did endless research on the different systems out there, and working with my builder, Cunningham Motorsports, who specializes in late model EFI performance cars, mainly Vettes. All the Vette guys LOVE using the ALKY Control kit. They have the lowest failure rate, Julio hand makes each kit specific to your application using only the BEST components out there; brass fittings, failsafe measures, the best pump made and all parts are made to be run with 100% Meth, so no worrying about erosion. These aren't windshield wiper solution kits & there's no cheap parts used. The last thing you want is some shitty parts failing and you're screwed!
Here's some basics of using the ALKY system to help out, it's a no lose situation (as long as it's installed correctly):

By injecting a fine mist of methanol directly into the engines incoming air charge has a substantial cooling effect. As the methanol injection mixes with the hot incoming air charge, it quickly converts from a liquid state to a gas state (steam). In doing so, it absorbs significant amounts of heat from the air charge. Depending on the build of the motor, whether naturally aspirated, supercharged or turbocharged; intercooled or non-intercooled, decreases in air charge temperatures will vary between 50-200+ degrees with cylinder temperatures dropping as much as 300 degree’s.

When combined with engines already out-fitted with air-to-air or air-to-water intercoolers, you will experience lower decreases (approx. 40-80+ degrees) in air charge temperatures due to the intercooler already removing a large portion of the heat from the air charge. While initial air temperature drops are not as significant as non-intercooled engines, lower overall air charge temperatures are achieved. Testing has shown that when combined with either air-to-air or air-to-water intercoolers on supercharged or turbocharged engines, nearly all the negative added heat from the supercharger or turbocharger can be removed.

When using pure methanol, greater decreases in air charge temperatures with higher increases in octane can be achieved.

Increase Horsepower Safely By Up To 10-15%
Most significantly, initial horsepower increases are due primarily to the significant reductions in air charge temperatures offered by methanol injection. Along with the initial cooler air charge temperature, comes a denser air charge. This creates a greater expansion of power within the cylinder, since pressure is directly proportional to temperature. The combustion process also turns the Meth droplets into a vapor which also helps to create a pressure raise (much in the same way as does a steam engine) and prevents the temperatures in the combustion from rushing to a sharp peak (as it does in a standard engine) and then dropping off. Instead, the combustion heat increases more slowly, reaching a lower peak temperature and descending more gradually. In addition, the longer overall combustion duration creates more pressure than does a standard engine’s cycle.

Due to the significantly cooler air charge temperatures, cooler cylinder temperatures and dramatic increase in octane offered by a methanol injection system; you can now safely run higher amounts of boost with more timing than ever before without it.

Plus one of the side effects of meth injection is the “steam cleaning” effect it has on combustion chambers, pistons and valves. With a methanol injection system you can help reduce and remove carbon deposit/build-up in your combustion chambers. This reduces the chances of developing carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, which can become heat soaked and lead to pre-ignition.

Since we installed the ALKY Control Meth system with direct spray into my CAI, Inc Intake Tube we've confirmed the following:
*Reduces air charge temperatures by 50-150+ degrees
*Reduces cylinder temperatures by up to 300+ degrees
*Increases 91-93 octane pump gas by 8-20+ points
*Allows me to safely run more boost and timing
*Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression
*Removes carbon build-up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves
*Reduces and helps eliminate engine damaging detonation and pre-ignition

Hope that helps clear things up for you.

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #58
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Did you measure your IAT before and after ?? Did you see the 50 degree drop ?
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #59
Kronix

Quote:
Monitored on many occasions, both during dyno runs & data logging while driving in different conditions. Never saw 50 degree drop, I used that as a bottom line number that was seen on other cars running a water/Meth mix, mine was usually 70 degrees and above drop in IATs. I run straight 100% Meth.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #60
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Monitored on many occasions, both during dyno runs & data logging while driving in different conditions. Never saw 50 degree drop, I used that as a bottom line number that was seen on other cars running a water/Meth mix, mine was usually 70 degrees and above drop in IATs. I run straight 100% Meth.

But never on the track, correct?

100% is the best way for power (octane) but you're selling yourself short on the cooling effects without using distilled water. A 70/30 or 50/50 will improve cooling greatly.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #61
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:

If you are looking to control the IAT's on the drag strip you'll need to spray somewhere other than pre blower. I tried that a few years ago and it did nothing as in the way of cooling the iats.

Same deal with nitrous pre blower. It had zero effects on lowering the IAT's.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #62
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

How much over ambient temp do you run now ?
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 06-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #63
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If you are looking to control the IAT's on the drag strip you'll need to spray somewhere other than pre blower. I tried that a few years ago and it did nothing as in the way of cooling the iats.

Same deal with nitrous pre blower. It had zero effects on lowering the IAT's.
Thank you AGAIN. Putting in the larger resivoir in on Tuesday. My tuner not advocating the pre blower meth situation but I keep hearing everyone sing its praise.
Ice ice ice and more ice is the plan
Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #64
Kronix

Quote:
But never on the track, correct?

100% is the best way for power (octane) but you're selling yourself short on the cooling effects without using distilled water. A 70/30 or 50/50 will improve cooling greatly.
Correct, not on actual track conditions, but street simulated yes, but it was cut short because I moved back from Cali to NJ at the beginning of May. I only use 100% because that's what Julio Don suggested I run through his system. But now that I'm back home in NJ, we're going to be adjusting the tune because of the higher octane here. I always run 32 oz of Torco per 20 gallons and it would bring up Cali's 91 to about 95/96, so with 93/94 here I should be right around 100 octane, then throw in the Meth and it's practically race fuel 110+ octane. But we will be testing on track conditions, and I'm curious to see the drops because of the higher humidity here compared to virtually none there.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #65
Kronix

Quote:
You really should give Julio Don a call, he's very accessible or shoot him an email, and he just loves explaining exactly what you'll see as far as results with different set ups & conditions. He's down in Florida and runs quite a few different set ups for R & D, and if it can drop IATs in muggy, humid Florida summers, then I feel pretty confident that the results will be similar here in NJ.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #66
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:

I'll have to check the old logs and that will take some digging. All of my info pertains to the track. I do not log anything on the street. I just wanted to clarify that. I usually start a pass at 16 or 17 degrees C, maybe 20 or 21 if I get hung up in staging for a while. I usually end around 60 degrees C but again I need to verify that will the logs.

Quote:
Thank you AGAIN. Putting in the larger resivoir in on Tuesday. My tuner not advocating the pre blower meth situation but I keep hearing everyone sing its praise.
Ice ice ice and more ice is the plan
The ice works because it actually flows the ice cold water through the blower. The best example I can give about the ice working is Camaro fest last year. It was hot/humid, temps in the mid 90's, da about 4k. Mid afternoon my 680 rwhp was running 10.14 at 136. While everyone else was almost .5 off.

Quote:
Correct, not on actual track conditions, but street simulated yes, but it was cut short because I moved back from Cali to NJ at the beginning of May. I only use 100% because that's what Julio Don suggested I run through his system. But now that I'm back home in NJ, we're going to be adjusting the tune because of the higher octane here. I always run 32 oz of Torco per 20 gallons and it would bring up Cali's 91 to about 95/96, so with 93/94 here I should be right around 100 octane, then throw in the Meth and it's practically race fuel 110+ octane. But we will be testing on track conditions, and I'm curious to see the drops because of the higher humidity here compared to virtually none there.

The track is a different animal. It's impossible to hold it wot on the street for 10,11, or 12 seconds and no one every does that on the dyno. Besides the heat rising off the track and all the other variables involved the track test stand alone.

I'm looking forward to how your set-up does on the track. Then you/we will have data from the same car and different scenarios. Something we don't have yet.

If you aren't dependent on the meth for octane I'd like to see you run a 70/30 or 50/50 mix to really get the cooling benefits.

With your set up now you should really be on race gas if you see the track. You never know what is coming out of the pump and race gas is the best way to make sure of your fuel's octane. Plus it smells gd too!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #67
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
You really should give Julio Don a call, he's very accessible or shoot him an email, and he just loves explaining exactly what you'll see as far as results with different set ups & conditions. He's down in Florida and runs quite a few different set ups for R & D, and if it can drop IATs in muggy, humid Florida summers, then I feel pretty confident that the results will be similar here in NJ.

Give yourself about an hr if you call Julio. He will talk your ear off!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #68
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Beer time
Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #69
Kronix

Quote:
The track is a different animal. It's impossible to hold it wot on the street for 10,11, or 12 seconds and no one every does that on the dyno. Besides the heat rising off the track and all the other variables involved the track test stand alone.

I'm looking forward to how your set-up does on the track. Then you/we will have data from the same car and different scenarios. Something we don't have yet.

If you aren't dependent on the meth for octane I'd like to see you run a 70/30 or 50/50 mix to really get the cooling benefits.

With your set up now you should really be on race gas if you see the track. You never know what is coming out of the pump and race gas is the best way to make sure of your fuel's octane. Plus it smells gd too!!
Oh I can show you some stretches of butter smooth, straight as an arrow roads in Cali, that'll let you stay WOT and everything becomes a blur But I definitely know what you mean & I enjoy following your advice cause you've usually been there, done that!

Quote:
Give yourself about an hr if you call Julio. He will talk your ear off!!!!!!!!
You nailed that one all right!! And keep a pen & pad ready to take notes, cause he is a human encyclopedia on Methanol systems.