Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
TheMikeHancho

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Failure to start when hot

Hello everyone. I have spent some time searching for the resolution to the issue that I am having and I continue to come up short on an answer.

I am having a hard start issue where when I park the car at running temperature, go in somewhere, come back to it within 15 minutes, and the car will not start. Sometimes it takes 2-3 cranks to finally get it to start. It really depends on how hot it is outside. I have taken a video which I will link in this post. Also along with the video, the fuel lines and rails themselves are hot to the touch when this happens. Typically hot enough that you wont leave your finger there long. Please check out the video and help me come up with an answer weather it be wrapping my headers, or going with a different hood. Just curious what others have done in this situation. Thanks!

http://youtu.be/hKy9HnZv2Hk
Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I assume you are tuned since you have headers. I would look at the tune. 9/10 times its the tune
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
TheMikeHancho

Not saying that it couldn't be the tune, but is the pressure rising 15-20psi after shutoff normal?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I had a hard to start when hot problem for some time. It got worse and I suspected it was either cooking the starter OR a dying battery. Our cars are over 4 years old now so it could easily be the battery. The battery DID die and replacing it helped the hard to start condition. My advice is to load test the battery first and go from there.

My starter might still be getting cooked as I can see the marks from the exhaust leak but she does start now.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
TheMikeHancho

The dealer just put a brand new battery in it 4 months ago. The starter isn't hanging and starts great most of the time. It's just the 15 minute window after shutting the car off. I will be taking to the dealer this week.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #6
TheMikeHancho

Got word today that they cannot duplicate the issue. Come to find out they are just doing back to back starts in a mechanics bay. The service advisor told me that the car had a high pressure fuel pump and a low pressure fuel pump. So in other words, the 80psi fuel pressure that was read with my mechanical gauge is ok. I laughed it off and told him to keep working on it. I guess I should take it to another dealer.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Any updates
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I had a similar problem and mine ended up being the starter. Might be worth while to have someone run a test and see if the starter is trying to pull more than normal. The general thought with my problem is that the heat from the headers finally wore out the starter. Starter has been replaced recently and the problem is gone.
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i have the same issue, very few and far between but its there. there have been a few other people that have the issue as well...with no resolution i might add.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46987

*edit* oh i just say that you posted in that thread. yea im at a loss.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
KevininPHX

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE Garnet Red Tintcoat
FWIW...
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the starter. My experiences have always been, the symptoms you describe, are classic bad starter symptoms. I've experienced it twice in the last almost 40 years, both times it was the starter.

As an anecdote, the first time was when I was sixteen and my first car, I had this very problem and asked a mechanic friend of my dad's about it. His words were, "won't start when it's hot? Always the starter." In my personal experiences, he was right both times.
KevininPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPHX View Post
FWIW...
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the starter. My experiences have always been, the symptoms you describe, are classic bad starter symptoms. I've experienced it twice in the last almost 40 years, both times it was the starter.

As an anecdote, the first time was when I was sixteen and my first car, I had this very problem and asked a mechanic friend of my dad's about it. His words were, "won't start when it's hot? Always the starter." In my personal experiences, he was right both times.
well unless his problem differs from mine...the car cranks but doesnt fire off.