Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 03-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #477
bluegoat06

Drives: Pontiac G8GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Well realistically the TQ difference makes for a better motor.

I know the title is LS3 vs Coyote but maybe it should be Coyote vs LT1....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Or Voodo vs LT1, and The Voodo engine is only 5.2L
bluegoat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #478
bluegoat06

Point in case, why we're so focused on comparing engines (And it seems the discussion goes to the extent of comparing flywheel HP, lol)? do we race the engine down the track, or the whole car ? Vader ?? It's funny again, you called my comments racer, wtf ? are you taking your LS3 and slapping that biatch to your back when you race ?
Have you seeing what the Coyotes can dyno when slapped to the heart of the Stangs in stock trim ?
compared that to the Camaro LS3 and please tell me how the damn Coyote is not the better motor, hahahahaha
Fack, going through the pages just gave me a damn headache, lots of valid points either way, but also a lot of BS and shoulder chips, i'm just glad to HP war is still on...
Old 03-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #479
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoat06 View Post
Or Voodo vs LT1, and The Voodo engine is only 5.2L
Voodoo is a special low production hand built motor. I'll take the LS7 if we talk old motors vs. new.

If we are talking new vs new then we get to use the LT4. That wouldn't be fair because of F/I vs N/A....

We'll see what comes for the Z/28 successor. I imagine it'll be called LT5 Homage to the old ZR1 LT5 from 89-95.

That's a good motor to use for comparison in this conversation.

The '92 LT1 made 300 HP and 350 TQ.

The '92 LT5 made 405 HP and 385 TQ.

The blocks were the same external dimensions the bore and stroke were slightly different but the final CI was 350 or 5.7L.

The external packaging was quite different because of the 32 valve and OHC arrangement.

Notice the drop in TQ compared to HP. The weigh went up substantially btw.

Fact is pushrods have better packaging and less weight with better numbers.

Last edited by Firefighter; 03-13-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #480
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
I like technology in motors like in my LFX and the LT1.. but there is definitely something cool about a big cubic inch pushrod motor with a lopey cam. Both are impressive motors, but the LS3 has the cool factor.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #481
bluegoat06

Quote:
Voodoo is a special low production hand built motor. I'll take the LS7 if we talk old motors vs. new.

If we are talking new vs new then we get to use the LT4. That wouldn't be fair because of F/I vs N/A....

We'll see what comes for the Z/28 successor. I imagine it'll be called LT5 Homage to the old ZR1 LT5 from 89-95.

That's a good motor to use for comparison in this conversation.

The '92 LT1 made 300 HP and 350 TQ.

The '92 LT5 made 425 HP and 375 TQ.

The blocks were the same external dimensions the bore and stroke were slightly different but the final CI was 350 or 5.7L.

The external packaging was quite different because of the 32 valve and OHC arrangement.

Notice the drop in TQ compared to HP. The weigh went up substantially btw.

Fact is pushrods have better packaging and less weight with better numbers.

Fact is, I hope the z28 or Z06 will be more affordable in 3-4 years
I like my Stang, but it's only a temporal item to fill in the missing gap I had into my stable
I promised to myself I'll have an LS7 something in my garage one day, I really don't care a lot about the LT1 and the damn DOD hardware.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #482
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Fact is, I hope the z28 or Z06 will be more affordable in 3-4 years
I like my Stang, but it's only a temporal item to fill in the missing gap I had into my stable
I promised to myself I'll have an LS7 something in my garage one day, I really don't care a lot about the LT1 and the damn DOD hardware.
Give it a minute and there will be a DOD delete kit available... lol

I would love an LS7 based motor in my car. That 4.125 bore and those LS7 heads... sounds good to me.

The new LT motors take advantage of DI tech, which is good stuff...

Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #483
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Misspoke... oh well still weren't we speaking motor for motor?

Also you can't tell me you honestly believe that a V6 Stang is faster that a 1LE.

Stock for Stock and equal drivers, 1LE will win easily. Hers is modded though to use gearing to make up for the torque disadvantage that comes from a V6. Mod for mod the V8 will win but you can make up torque with gears, just depends on your final goals though since you will have to be in high gears at a lower speed.

Back to engines though, one advantage the 5.0 is the ECU Ford used. It is extremely fast, has widebands so it can adjust the WOT AFR. Also makes remote tuning very easy. Disadvantage is that it's extremely complicated, way too many tables.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #484
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Point in case, why we're so focused on comparing engines (And it seems the discussion goes to the extent of comparing flywheel HP, lol)? do we race the engine down the track, or the whole car ? Vader ?? It's funny again, you called my comments racer, wtf ? are you taking your LS3 and slapping that biatch to your back when you race ?
Have you seeing what the Coyotes can dyno when slapped to the heart of the Stangs in stock trim ?
compared that to the Camaro LS3 and please tell me how the damn Coyote is not the better motor, hahahahaha
Fack, going through the pages just gave me a damn headache, lots of valid points either way, but also a lot of BS and shoulder chips, i'm just glad to HP war is still on...
Dude. Its a engine vs engine comparison. ANYONE who brings up the displacement excuse is using the same one that all the front wheel drive toy box cars have said to me so yeah I consider it COMPLETELY ricer. You obviously haven't raced enough people other wise you would here that excuse as well. I can't tell you how many times I have heard well my engine makes over 100 HP per liter so its better. Its a meaningless stat. I don't give it ANY merit AT ALL.

Let me ask you this, the M3 V8 is just 4 Liters but makes almost as much power as a Coyote. Do you think that engine is superior to a Coyote? It's power per liter is more and it has so called better tech. I know i dont think its better. Guy I know who is a BMW tech can attest to its problems. What about a Rotary? Its power per displacement is off the chain. Do you give that engine respect?

To answer your other question no I don't think power is the only merit on how good a performance engine is but when it weighs less, is smaller, gets good mpg, is really reliable, makes more power, lots more torque and takes to mods very well then yeah I consider it good engine. If a engine does all of those things as good or better than a Coyote then I consider it a better engine and it doesn't have to be a Chevy. I know plenty capable of what a 2011-2014 Mustang GT can do at the strip but again I remind you that this is a engine vs engine comparison. Everything else is for a different thread. No bias or chip here. I probably will own another Mustang again one day. As far as chassis dyno #'s. For one thing the drivetrain loss is different and the cars that these engines go into are irrelevent in this thread, for another you can't accurately compare two different cars, on different days, on different dyno's.

I don't know if your looking for my respect for the car you drive or the engine under the hood but I give respect to both. I however give MORE respect to the LS3 ENGINE over the Coyote. I do give MORE respect to the 2011+ Mustang GT as a whole vs a 5th gen in regards to stip performance. Geez at this point I'm probably re typing the same thing. Every argument you have I have probably addressed in this thread. Want to learn something? Take a couple of hours and read the thread cause I'm done until someone brings up a valid point I haven't addressed.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #485
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB View Post
Stock for Stock and equal drivers, 1LE will win easily. Hers is modded though to use gearing to make up for the torque disadvantage that comes from a V6. Mod for mod the V8 will win but you can make up torque with gears, just depends on your final goals though since you will have to be in high gears at a lower speed.

Back to engines though, one advantage the 5.0 is the ECU Ford used. It is extremely fast, has widebands so it can adjust the WOT AFR. Also makes remote tuning very easy. Disadvantage is that it's extremely complicated, way too many tables.
I will agree that the Coyote has a better engine mgt system stock although I'm not sure if that qualifies as part of the engine. You can however add wideband to the LS3 for like $150 or something.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #486
donk6996

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
I have had both engines in the cars we compare. I had a 2010 ss camaro and I loved it. Lots of work to the ls3. I also owned a g8 gxp. Both had a great ls3 in them and I enjoyed owning both. I can say that I own a 2012 f150 fx4 with a 5.0 and a 2015 mustang gt performance package 5.0. The mustang motor doesn't get the fuel mileage of the ss but that could be because of gearing. The LS3 is a beast bt doesn't sound nearly as cool as the 5.0 yote motor. For what it is the 5.0 is a great motor. pulls hard and is reliable. I can run 87, 91, or 93 octane with it. MY LS3s would go all check engine when stock and 87 gas. Both a great motors. I loved owning both of them. Some day I will own a z06 with the 7.0 cause that is my favorite motor. until then the 5.0 is a good ride.
donk6996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #487
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
I love my ls3 more for its superior torque down low where i need it most in a daily driver, simple as that. But i have to defend the coyote on 2 aspects that are frequently misused in here. 1 is the weight advantage, if your really gonna trash the coyote for the 12 pounds it has on the ls3, your grasping at straws. And 2, alot of people like to talk smack about all the extra complexity and blah blah thats its just more to go wrong and harder to work on, other than the infamous "cyl 8" fiasco a few years back (which was arguably cause by inexperienced aftermarket tuners), the coyote has been extrememly reliable with no other common failure points (stockwise, adding big power all motors will have there weakpoints, i think its pistons at 650rwhp for the 5.0). The ls3 is still having oil pump failures on late model cars, and i hate to say it but the problems section of c5 has a concerning amount of engine related threads.. Mine has been rock solid though knock on wood!
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:38 PM   #488
87GNX

Drives: Alot
I love the powerband in the yote up top better than the ls3/l99 in stock form, once you mod these beasts they are monsters though. The ls7 is a whole nother beast with a vette being a lighweight chassis and monster torque. Great motors all three.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 PM   #489
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Bumping this awesome thread because LS
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #490
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
was on a mustang forum the other day. they really do think the 5.0 is the greatest thing ever created on earth.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote