Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
JB @ C and L Machine

Drives: Ordered 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
Listen to you.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread and possible solution.

If thats how you operate... You should be ashamed to post the dealer you work for. Your showing your true colors. Camaro Scotty here I come
JB @ C and L Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #30
aldaran

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS/RS
If this is the type of work they do, I wouldn't want them to touch it again. As mentioned above, take it somewhere else and asked them to pay for it. Why would you want the body shop, who is upset by this point, work on your car again?
aldaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #31
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaran View Post
If this is the type of work they do, I wouldn't want them to touch it again. As mentioned above, take it somewhere else and asked them to pay for it. Why would you want the body shop, who is upset by this point, work on your car again?
Excellent Point!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #32
Russell James

Drives: Camaros
Send a post card to the owner of the dealership that you will never buy another car there or spend one more dollar of service business because the body shop manager is an asshole. Done.

Then get the rest of the work done elsewhere.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #33
Alarick

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS
I do have a call in to the GM at the dealership, two actually.
As well as a call to the claims resolution department at Allstate.

One thing that a lot of people seem to be missing is that the shop manager is trying to tell me that Allstate is going to pay for the clear bra twice.
I'm no insurance adjuster but that does not seem right.

Either for some reason Allstate has no issue with just throwing money away because their approved shop can't do work they where already paid for, or he is just trying to get me to leave because he knows they screwed up and is hoping I will just drop it.

One of the first things I asked when they said "We will have a clear bra installed here" was if they could in fact install it on fresh paint, and of course they said "Yes, it's not an issue"
I thought maybe they knew something I did not, and that it would not be an issue.

It went into an Allstate approved shop without paint swirls and I even told them that "I have nightmares about swirl marks" when I asked if their detailers knew what they where doing.

No one, no matter what car they drive be it a $500k exotic or an $8k Kia should have the paint on their car be in worse shape after a visit to the dealership than it was before.
$200 to repair it or not.

The body shop manager said that he "wanted me to be a happy customer" then right after that said "nothing we can do here will make you happy, go someplace else"
All it would take to make me happy is to have the repairs done right
(obviously they where not since people with more paint experience than I are saying that they should not have put a clear bra on fresh paint no matter what) to fix the swirls they caused, and fix the cut in the paint their clear bra guy caused.

None of that is too much to ask.
The fact that I had to drive over to the shop about at hour each way to actually get an update that contained any real information, and then to have the manager tell me in so many words to pound sand, and that I should be happy and thankful with the work the provided, swirl marks and all..
That's not exactly acceptable.

I never treated my customers like that when I worked for Chevy.

For those that mentioned the 800 number, I have it, and I know how that whole process works from when I used to work as a service adviser at a different Chevy dealership.
I'm saving it as a last ditch effort.

While I am more than a little pissed at the dealership, actually suing them may not be cost effective for either party.
Gratifying, yes, but it would be much cheaper and far less hassle to get something this minor handled out of court.

Oh, and the Chevy dealership I used to work at, the detailer we had there knew how to keep swirls out of paint, and did a great job taking the swirls out of my 98 Z28 that I bought used.
If a lone detailer at a tiny dealership in the middle of nowhere can do it, a large dealership should not blink twice.
Alarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #34
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Call the Chevy 800 Customer assistance line.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #35
Alarick

Oh I have no intention of letting them touch the car again.
Monday they will be getting estimates from other, more competent shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaran View Post
Old 04-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
Before I moved to S.Fla from the Midwest I was informed by the supervisor that S.Fla was not service oriented and to not expect the level of service I received in the Midwest.I sadly have found this to be true,good luck on getting your problem fixed,I hope that all goes well.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #37
Blackwolf

Drives: 02 Grand Prix, 99 Z71 10 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSizzle View Post
Swirl marks are going to happen no matter what, it is normal for clear coat to swirl after washing and waxing. I am not a professional, but have friends in the body industry
Sorry, but I totally disagree with this statement! With the right care swirl marks should NEVER happen. And for this to happen at a body shop with a so called "qualified" detailer makes it even less acceptable. I'd be fit to be tied if it happened to my car. Another reason why you should NEVER let a dealership wash or detail your car unless you verify that they know what they are doing. (Not many do)

Don't give up until they fix your car correctly!
"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."
Aaron Gold, About.com

Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #38
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
I did not read the whole thread but this is what I have been told and was my experience.

Very few body shops can paint a clear coat car in an enviornment as sterile as the factory. Impurities in the air get into the clear coat when they spray it on. They try to rub it out causing swirl marks in the clear coat. You can also get these from car washes with brushes etc. Most people are not that picky and after a few car washes it blends in. I had this same problem with my 4th gen and ended up using a 3M swirl mark remover I bought at NAPA. I did the whole car twice and it turned out pretty well. I use Zaino products now. You should not have to do this yourself but neither should I. I finally wanted it done right si I did it myself
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #39
Alarick

Updates...
I had a paint corrections guy come over on Monday to take a look at the issues with the paint, and give me an estimate.

He brought alot more issues to my attention.
Like fisheyes, scratches on the rally stripes from the buffer, a couple of gouge marks from the buffer, some hazing in the paint from the buffer, damage to the remaining clear bra on the hood from the buffer, starting to see a pattern?
As well as the original issues of the swirl marks from washing that they tried to "fix" with "concealer" and a buffer....

Since he takes care of swirl marks and scratches in the paint of cars like this, I tend to trust the mans judgment.

That car belongs to one of his customers.

Here is the "fun" part...

Apparently through the grapevine of dealing with Allstate, the several messages left for the GM of the dealership, the complaint lodged with the 800 number, and the guy running the dealership's facebook page the body shop manager heard that I was not happy with their work.

He called me up while out at lunch, and asked me to bring my car over so he could look at it.
No big deal, I only live about 45 minutes to an hour each way from the dealership, so I head on over.

Once I get there, he claims he can't see ANY of the issues in the paint, the fisheyes, specs of dirt, or even the two rather large and long CUTS in the paint from where their clear bra guy used a razor knife to trim the film while it was ON MY CAMARO at first...

After asking him how he could not see it, and mentioning that you could feel it, he acknowledged those two marks and said "oh, that will buff out"......

He then starts to berate me like a parent talking down to their child who just drew on the wall with their crayons, starts to point out some "bird crap" that was actually a bug sitting on the trunk lid and a water spot (I have not washed my Camaro since I got it back and it rained yesterday) saying that the "bird s**t bleached the paint" and that I was not taking proper care of my car.

You know, the one that's garage kept while I spend on average of 3 or more hours a day lurking on here reading posts on washing, waxing, detailing and all things Camaro, that Camaro..

I am pretty steamed at this point, and asked him since he can't tell the difference between a water spot and bird crap, how does he expect to see any actual damage, and that he should get his eyes checked.
Told him we where done here, that I'd be in contact with Allstate to take care of this.

He being the fine model of good customer service that he is snapped back "Oh yeah, I look forward to hearing from Allstate" in the most condescending tone possible.

Of course that turned off the filter that keeps me from saying what is on my mind a good 70% of the time, and I responded to him that I hope he looks forward to hearing from the Chevy CS line again (who called me back as I was writing this) like when they called while he was out to lunch earlier"

To which he shouted over his shoulder as I was getting into my Camaro to leave and I quote "No, you're out to lunch sir!"
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #40
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
Guy sounds like a flaming dickbag...
I had to have my bumper replaced before Christmas when it spontaneously fell off....(thats my story- deal with it) and I did not have any of those issues - I mean I waited two weeks for them to get the stupid parts, which, for a brand new car seemed almost impossible...?? - but...no issues with paint swirls or any of that BS....
I went to a bodyshop tho, not my dealership. I was paying cash to avoid insurance going up so it was def much cheaper.

If that's something that happens in the biz as other people have posted they need to deal with it so that when you get your car it looks brand new...

And if you rolled away happy and didn't see it until later they should STILL be doing whatever they can to fix the issue - esp a dealership....
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #41
rjcamaro
312 HP

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Sorry but a monkey can take out swirls with the right equipment. And pads that are clean along with the right product. It's not rocket science these people just don't know or just don't care about their work. Goes without saying never bring your car back to them.

Last thing good businesses guarantee their work.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
RPO_Z28

Drives: 2007 C6Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB @ C and L Machine View Post
If thats how you operate... You should be ashamed to post the dealer you work for. Your showing your true colors. Camaro Scotty here I come
You missed my point but that's OK. My reputation here is spotless regardless of how you feel.

You're in Jersey and bought in Wisconsin. Hopefully your attitude won't get in the way when you have to rely on a local dealer for service and they know you bought it way out there.

Scotty's a great guy so you're in good hands. Hopefully you won't need to rely on anyone but him.

Be well.