Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #337
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302-412 View Post
If the 6.2 BOSS had 4V heads like the 5.0 there would be a significant increase in power and tq. And being as Ford puts the 4V 5.4 in the Mustang already, if the 6.2 had the new 4V heads, it would also fit, a 460 will go where a 4.6 was. Since 67 the Mustang for the most part has been at a displacement disadvantage ( exceptions would bee the 68, 69 428 Mustangs) and no ones fault but Ford. Been a automotive tech for 30 years "lil Chef", in a dyno lab.
The new Ford 6.2 has pent roof combustion chambers and a nice valve angle. It doesn't need 4 cams as it does just fine with 2. If Ford decides to get serious with offering this motor in the Mustang platform it will be the GT500. They will use the same plasma arc lined cylinder as the 2011 5.4 GT500 motor uses and a aluminum block. Throw in all forged components with a blower and you have an engine capable of 1,000HP from the factory.

It really makes the LS3 pale in comparison. The LS9 would be the only comparable GM motor and it would still be overshadowed.

Ford is doing more with the 5.0 than GM with the 6.2 regardless of the weight difference.

Ford has their shit together and are a very agile company meaning they aren't letting bureaucracy stand in the way of innovation.

The Boss 302 is a perfect example. The motor is similar in design specs in comparison to the production 5.0 Coyote motor but has a vast many differences:

1. Specific intake
2. Forged pistons
3. Stronger powdered forged rods
4. Boss specific head made from a higher strength aluminum to include CNC porting, lightweight valve train and Boss specific exhaust cams
5. Boss specific PCM programing
6. Oil squirter delete to support sustained higher RPM's
7. Different clutch capable of handling higher RPMs utilizing a different flywheel
8. Factory oil cooler
9. Larger radiator
...and the list goes on....

The Roadrunner motor shares very little with the Coyote outside of dimensions and block.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #338
snakekiller

Drives: f150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
The new Ford 6.2 has pent roof combustion chambers and a nice valve angle. It doesn't need 4 cams as it does just fine with 2. If Ford decides to get serious with offering this motor in the Mustang platform it will be the GT500. They will use the same plasma arc lined cylinder as the 2011 5.4 GT500 motor uses and a aluminum block. Throw in all forged components with a blower and you have an engine capable of 1,000HP from the factory.

It really makes the LS3 pale in comparison. The LS9 would be the only comparable GM motor and it would still be overshadowed.

Ford is doing more with the 5.0 than GM with the 6.2 regardless of the weight difference.

Ford has their shit together and are a very agile company meaning they aren't letting bureaucracy stand in the way of innovation.

The Boss 302 is a perfect example. The motor is similar in design specs in comparison to the production 5.0 Coyote motor but has a vast many differences:

1. Specific intake
2. Forged pistons
3. Stronger powdered forged rods
4. Boss specific head made from a higher strength aluminum to include CNC porting, lightweight valve train and Boss specific exhaust cams
5. Boss specific PCM programing
6. Oil squirter delete to support sustained higher RPM's
7. Different clutch capable of handling higher RPMs utilizing a different flywheel
8. Factory oil cooler
9. Larger radiator
...and the list goes on....

The Roadrunner motor shares very little with the Coyote outside of dimensions and block.
the only real disadvantage is the dam weight, the beauty of the LS3 is its compact size and weight, something ford need to achieve with its modular engines. Ford is definitely on the right path do, their wire arc tech is a game changer.
snakekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #339
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
the only real disadvantage is the dam weight, the beauty of the LS3 is its compact size and weight, something ford need to achieve with its modular engines. Ford is definitely on the right path do, their wire arc tech is a game changer.
Seems to me like Ford is doing fine with weight. S197's are lighter than the 5th gen Camaro and the 2011+ GT and variants handle better.

We really don't need to talk drag strip as we all know where that lands.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #340
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Seems to me like Ford is doing fine with weight. S197's are lighter than the 5th gen Camaro and the 2011+ GT and variants handle better.

We really don't need to talk drag strip as we all know where that lands.
Yes we do in the hands of the better driver
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #341
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post

. . . vanquish v12 stroked/bored to 6.2l and stuffed into an s197 mustang.
I understand the aftermarket world can make it fit. However, for all the extra crap that is needed for EPA standards it will not be able to fit from the factory unless some body is reworked.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #342
BigDan

Drives: bug
SVE also put a 10.0L Boss in their SN95 chassis and you know how large the Hemi Boss heads are. There is plenty of under hood real estate in the new Mustangs and has been guys putting big cube and large headed motors in in late model mustang all alone. If Ford wants it under the hood they will make it happen. The 07-10 GT500's use the same 5.4L cast iron block found in F-350 Superduty's.

10.0L Boss Mustang

I was such a car nut when I was younger I actually sent away a VHS tape of Moss vs Colletti shootout. Funny thing back then I hated Ford's so much, mainly because of their decision to go with a 215hp 4.6L vs Chevy's 300hp LT1 and 330hp LS1 and all the young D-bags with 5.0L Fox body's. I was all about GM muscle car's all the way back then. (late 90's early 2000's) Then Chevy killed off the Camaro and muscle car prices skyrocketed and I canceled my subscriptions to Super Chevy, Chevy High Performance, Motortrend and Car and Driver and got in to diesel truck performance and Rockcrawling. The main reason why I ended up with a GT500 because its hand built fully forged supercharged engine that can handle 800hp with just a supercharger swap, strong SRA with factory 3.73's for strength, and a race weight of 3,600lbs did it for me. If the Camaro came with a LS9, SRA and lost 200lbs I would of ended up with one but GM decided to go soft when they launched the Camaro.

Funny how things change as the years pass.

Last edited by BigDan; 08-22-2011 at 09:56 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #343
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
SVE also put a 10.0L Boss in their SN95 chassis and you know how large the Hemi Boss heads are. There is plenty of under hood real estate in the new Mustangs and has been guys putting big cube and large headed motors in in late model mustang all alone. If Ford wants it under the hood they will make it happen. The 07-10 GT500's use the same 5.4L cast iron block found in F-350 Superduty's.

10.0L Boss Mustang

I was such a car nut when I was younger I actually sent away a VHS tape of Moss vs Colletti shootout. Funny thing back then I hated Ford's so much, mainly because of their decision to go with a 215hp 4.6L vs Chevy's 300hp LT1 and 330hp LS1 and all the young D-bags with 5.0L Fox body's. I was all about GM muscle car's all the way back then. (late 90's early 2000's) Then Chevy killed off the Camaro and muscle car prices skyrocketed and I canceled my subscriptions to Super Chevy, Chevy High Performance, Motortrend and Car and Driver and got in to diesel truck performance and Rockcrawling. The main reason why I ended up with a GT500 because its hand built fully forged supercharged engine that can handle 800hp with just a supercharger swap, strong SRA with factory 3.73's for strength, and a race weight of 3,600lbs did it for me. If the Camaro came with a LS9, SRA and lost 200lbs I would of ended up with one but GM decided to go soft when they launched the Camaro.

Funny how things change as the years pass.

nice clip!
camarovigoa is offline   Reply With Quote