Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 07-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
reocamaro

Drives: car
Northern Virginia M6 owners. Wanna help?

Hey Guys/Gals,

I'm in the business of learning how to drive my car, I've put 20 hard miles on the car since last saturday. Anyone willing to help me refine my six speed manual skills? I want to not get discouraged, but I'm absolutely sick of stalling this damn awesome car out of first gear.

Thanks.
Justin.
reocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
reocamaro

After reading a couple threads on here about experienced drivers having clutch problems, it makes me wonder if getting this car was a bad idea.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Well I heard from other Camaro owners that you have to give it a lil more gas when you leaving from a dead stop... keep working at it and you will get better ...Hang in there!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Flaminbird

Drives: 2000 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Flaminbird
If I can learn....you can too . I learned on my old b/f's 98 SS back in 2001 . I couldnt drive my Formula home when I bought it but being I'd practices months earlier in the SS I knew I could do it. It only took me one outing in a school parking lot and I was driving it to work by Monday
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
reocamaro

That's what I need, this weekend I'm going to take it to a parking lot or maybe a school. I will NOT be tooo discouraged. I was hoping I could have someone who knew what the gearing felt like and the right place to shift would be available to ride along with me.

ANY TAKERS??? PLEASE?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
thesnoopster

You just gotta get the feel of it ....it will come to you ... I been driving manuals for a very long time until my knee couldnt hack it no more (and after surgery) .... I will come to you like clock work
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
reocamaro

Thanks for the support, Snoopster!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Wow you are putting waayyyy to much pressure on yourself. I want you to read my recommendation below, and as you do so, imagine how you yourself is going to this when the time comes and what the results are going to be. Once that happens, and you do it, the topic will never cross your mind again.

1. Think about how this mechanism works. Gears are spinning and while in neutral, not engaged with the rear tires (even in gear with the clutch depressed). As you start to release the clutch, the gears engage and torque is starting to apply to the driveshaft and rear wheels. As a result, this creates a drag (bog) and extra force is going to be required to maintain RPMs (driveshaft torque). This is where the accelerator comes in. Once enough compensation has been applied, the clutch can be fully dissengaged. This will eventually all happen in one fluid motion.

2. Get your car to a level, safe open place. Vacant parking lots preferred, closed or empty private roads, etc.

3. In first gear with the clutch depressed, very slowly start to release the clutch. About 10 degrees or 3 inches off the floor you will start to feel the car slowly rolling slowly (and if you've been releasing too quickly, you will also hear the RPM slow). When you hit this point, push the clutch back down to the floor. Your car shouldn't have moved more than two inches forward, if anything at all. Repeat until you've memorized exactly where this engagement point is and you can actually very slowly start to roll the car forward without ever touching the gas.

3. Once you've mastered this (less than 5 minutes), at the point the clutch engages, start to use the throttle. You'll only need to press the throttle slightly (maybe 1,500 rpm tops). Once you've blipped the rpms up enough, you can either push the clutch back down because you are now rolling forward, or you can release the clutch all the way, and now you're driving.

4. Now you can drive any manual car in the world cause they all work the same.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
reocamaro

Thanks, Inferno. I agree with you completely on the first sentence of your post, and will take your advice.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
thesnoopster

Good advice Infern0 .... ..... as long as you didnt give him advice on "how to keep ya car dirty" LOL J/K

Hey reocamaro check out the Virginia Camaro Club website, they are a good group of people with all generation camaros. We usualy meet up every saturday at brusters in Stafford.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
as long as you keep the RPMs up when you shift your fine. This was my first stick and I would drive and just shift slowly to learn it better. I would keep my clutch depressed and shift the gear then as i release the clutch just keep on the gas to maintain the RPMs and it will transfer over smoothly. just like what inferno said. you'll eventually have an unconscious memory of where the engagement point is

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Hate to say it.... but I'm a girl.... suck it up and drive the car. This car is so easy compared to the other car's I have driven manual. Loosen up it's fun!!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
reocamaro

SS, it doesn't seem like you hate to say that at all :p
Old 07-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnoopster View Post
Good advice Infern0 .... ..... as long as you didnt give him advice on "how to keep ya car dirty" LOL J/K
Oh SNAP!!! That's a pretty good one. I'll give that one to ya.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote