Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #71
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
Unless they HAD to change the name they should have stuck with the heritage behind CAMARO*

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #72
Moonlight

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any chinese camaro owners on here like myself?
Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #73
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
There is no way the Chinese will drive a camaro. If it ain't Japanese, they ain't buying it. I've worked with Chinese folks in engineering for the last 15 years and every single one drives a Honda or Toyota. They think American cars are junk.
Did you know GM sold more cars in China last year than in the USA?
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #74
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Unfortunately the Chinese have something we have very little of, import tariffs. They can export as many cars here as Walmart can sell, but a Camaro in China would cost about a trillion dollars.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #75
ck204

Drives: X5, FR-S
Quote:
There is no way the Chinese will drive a camaro. If it ain't Japanese, they ain't buying it. I've worked with Chinese folks in engineering for the last 15 years and every single one drives a Honda or Toyota. They think American cars are junk.
Well most Chinese engineering folks I have seen have a master or PhD, live a very modest life, they buy cars that are not expensive, good mileage, and low repair cost, and they save a good percentage of their income into the bank. IMO these Chinese people are not the targeted buyer of any premium cars, because they don't care that much about their car. On the other hand there are Chinese business owners and restaurant owners who really care about their 'status' and spend big money on Mercedes, BMW, and other luxury items.

Most wealth people in China care a lot about their status and how they look in front of other people, they want expensive, exotic cars, designer cloths, and other things that can show their status. GM is targeting these rich Chinese people with the Camaro in China, and it will be priced and equipped accordingly. Most premium options like leather seats and stuff are probably going to be standard equipment when the Camaro goes to China, just like how most Hondas and Buicks have standard leather seats there.
ck204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #76
wlee32

Drives: 2011 2LT Blk/Orange Strip & int
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
yup... malaysian... but chinese...
wlee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #77
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Check GM's sales in China. Well over 2,000,000 units. On Par with North America. Buick sales are HUGE and Chevrolet is climbing fast.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #78
KnightRider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I'm Chinese.
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #79
OrangeSS2011.5

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS Orange
I think its a good idea to sell the Camaro over there, I mean they've been selling Asian brands here for quite some time....its only fair but to change the name? I dont agree with that...I can't necessarily pronounce all the Asian brand cars but it makes no difference I say they keep the name.....just sayin'
OrangeSS2011.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #80
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
At $76K for a V6, I know when it comes time to sell mine (if ever), I'll be posting it in the Chinese Autotrader!!!

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #81
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck204 View Post
Well most Chinese engineering folks I have seen have a master or PhD, live a very modest life, they buy cars that are not expensive, good mileage, and low repair cost, and they save a good percentage of their income into the bank. IMO these Chinese people are not the targeted buyer of any premium cars, because they don't care that much about their car. On the other hand there are Chinese business owners and restaurant owners who really care about their 'status' and spend big money on Mercedes, BMW, and other luxury items.

Most wealth people in China care a lot about their status and how they look in front of other people, they want expensive, exotic cars, designer cloths, and other things that can show their status. GM is targeting these rich Chinese people with the Camaro in China, and it will be priced and equipped accordingly. Most premium options like leather seats and stuff are probably going to be standard equipment when the Camaro goes to China, just like how most Hondas and Buicks have standard leather seats there.
You are right about everything but I think everyone would agree that a V6 camaro is not a fancy exotic car and does not fit in the same category with high end Mercedes and BMW cars. I guess most engineers with a PHD would never buy a Camaro or luxury car regardless of nationality. I think as engineers they always look for most cost effective, efficient and reliable product in general.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #82
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................

.....wow - some of these posts --

(.....altho I DO like the one about "hot dogging" it or "apple pieing" it!)

Anywhoo........

This is very typical for cars that wish to maintain their branding in
China.

Chinese characters don't mimic ours, obviously....... So they have to
adjust to make it be as close as possible.

That's all that's happening here....Can't get there from here so to speak.....

The letter C in particular is problematic, pronunciation-wise. The Kei
sound that they use is what is done with all other Chevrolet's that have a
hard-C sound at the beginning (like Cruze, Captiva, etc.)

I'm glad this popped up as a story, actually....highlights the popularity
of the car.....without this no one outside of China would take notice that
the car is launching there.

Oh - and by the way - The BMW? Pronounced "Bee oh wah" or something along those lines - not just GM cars!

With everything we IMPORT into this country from China, (WALMART!!) I would think Americans would cheer that we're EXPORTING something in return!

Finally - yes, they're more expensive over there - but keep in mind a ton of modifications need to be made -- remember - even their fuels are different over there........
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #83
Skill377

Drives: 04 Toyota Camry
Good for them, more peoples to enjoy the Camaro.. the better!
Skill377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #84
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

.....wow - some of these posts --

(.....altho I DO like the one about "hot dogging" it or "apple pieing" it!)

Anywhoo........

This is very typical for cars that wish to maintain their branding in
China.

Chinese characters don't mimic ours, obviously....... So they have to
adjust to make it be as close as possible.

That's all that's happening here....Can't get there from here so to speak.....

The letter C in particular is problematic, pronunciation-wise. The Kei
sound that they use is what is done with all other Chevrolet's that have a
hard-C sound at the beginning (like Cruze, Captiva, etc.)

I'm glad this popped up as a story, actually....highlights the popularity
of the car.....without this no one outside of China would take notice that
the car is launching there.

Oh - and by the way - The BMW? Pronounced "Bee oh wah" or something along those lines - not just GM cars!

With everything we IMPORT into this country from China, (WALMART!!) I would think Americans would cheer that we're EXPORTING something in return!

Finally - yes, they're more expensive over there - but keep in mind a ton of modifications need to be made -- remember - even their fuels are different over there........
Are the camaro's shipping directly from Canada, or are they being shipped into the US? It's too bad that the camaro is foreign built, would have been nice if the US got the full benefit from this.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote