Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
B. Bumble Bee

Drives: '10 SS.
'10 SS Sticking Speedometer needle

Have a manual transmission, if it matters. When accelerating hard while in motion- say from 30-50mph as a starting point, the speedometer needle seems to not 'lower' all the way to that point, then goes up, as the speed increases, incorrectly. Another way to put this is: after hard acceleration while in motion, the needle reads 50-65mph higher than i'm actually going. When I come to a complete stop- the needle is stuck at the 50-65mph mark, and the only thing that fixes it is shutting the car completely off(then it 're-sets' and works properly until I have a particularly hard rolling acceleration again). Best example of this is on freeway interchanges, where you might have to slow from 65-ish, to 30-ish, and back up, fast.

Used to only register about 35-45mph 'too high', but it's worse, now. It's also only about 90% of the time when I do this type of acceleration. Iff I accelerate hard from a stop...no issues w/ accuracy.

The digital speedometer(and my gps, for that matter) have also verified the digital sped is always 'true'.
B. Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
if the digital MPH is correct and the actual speedometer is not, i suspect a bad gauge considering they probably get the same signal from the same place. i never look at the actual speedometer, if it bugs you you'll have to get it fixed or replaced. might be a shop near that works on clusters so you can avoid replacing the whole unit and reprogramming
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I'm like TommyTheCat. I bet I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever
actually looked at the speedometer needle. I use the digital reading all the time. It
may cost more to repair than it's worth unless it really bug you.

Tags
speedometer, sticking