Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #127
Camarorss350
camaro blogger

Drives: 2010 Black on Black SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Camarorss350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@ST View Post
Looks like a copy of the Edlebrock unit.
Not for nothing but this supercharger was available on the ZR1 before the Edelbrock unit was on the market, therefore Edelbrock copied the LS9 blower, if you wanted to state that...

...correct?
Camarorss350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #128
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Not sure how GM works..

But the Ford Racing Supercharger kits usually carry 1 year/12,000 mile Powertrain warranty assuming you installed it under your factory warranty. Typically, the kit has to be installed by the dealer for the warranty to be valid. However if your Speed Shop has a good working relationship with the local dealers the warranty is still honored.

If GM is smart they would sell this as a total package with a calibration that's covered for some type of Powertrain Warranty.

One thing to remember too, both Magnuson and Vortech offer Powertrain warranties for additional costs. I had thought about this option when I had my 07 GT. But you couldn't do any additional modifications...
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #129
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
For the LS3 only? Where's the love for the L99?

What's your guess for the price of this beast, 8 grand?

I'm guessing GM will provide a tune and a waranty with this.

all you have to do is a LS3 conversion... AFM/VVT
Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #130
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Do they warranty the vehicle after installing the supercharger?
Who's THEY? GM, the installer or the manufacturer of the supercharger? I assume you mean GM. I suspect they (GMPP) will only warrant the actual parts you bought from them.

What if you do everything that is necessary to your camaro's engine to produce 650+ hp and you waste your stock drivetrain, I'd like to hear GM's response to that.

I'm sure somebody will be offering one of those Great aftermarket warranty policies just like the other SC's.
SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #131
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I'll be the first to chime in (and assume I'll be wrong) but GM is not going to provide a warranty without providing a carb compliant tune!

What that means is...a big o'l supercharger running way under it's limits!

Much like when GMPP sold the Ecotec M62 supercharger kit for their sportcompacts (Cavaliers and Sunfires...some Pontiacs and even had one out there for the 2.4). It was carb compliant, running a very safe 6 psi and had to be installed at the dealer (for I think around $1,500)!

The warranty....1 year or 12K miles!

This is not the holy grail of superchargers from GM guys...this is an option, an expensive one when you consider all the additional parts required to work!

That's my thoughts...I could be wrong...I could be right. But I don't see GM selling this and mking 600+ rear wheel HP.

If if does go to market as a viable option, expect less than 500 crank HP, low boost and no other mods will be allowed to maintain a simple, 1 yr/12K warranty.

Again...my thoughts...GM will not bring a high HP application for public use and provide a warranty that was not originally installed in a car...GM won't, can't!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #132
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
I'll be the first to chime in (and assume I'll be wrong) but GM is not going to provide a warranty without providing a carb compliant tune!

What that means is...a big o'l supercharger running way under it's limits!

Much like when GMPP sold the Ecotec M62 supercharger kit for their sportcompacts (Cavaliers and Sunfires...some Pontiacs and even had one out there for the 2.4). It was carb compliant, running a very safe 6 psi and had to be installed at the dealer (for I think around $1,500)!

The warranty....1 year or 12K miles!

This is not the holy grail of superchargers from GM guys...this is an option, an expensive one when you consider all the additional parts required to work!

That's my thoughts...I could be wrong...I could be right. But I don't see GM selling this and mking 600+ rear wheel HP.

If if does go to market as a viable option, expect less than 500 crank HP, low boost and no other mods will be allowed to maintain a simple, 1 yr/12K warranty.

Again...my thoughts...GM will not bring a high HP application for public use and provide a warranty that was not originally installed in a car...GM won't, can't!
Totally agree.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #133
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow.
i have a VERRRRRRY close connection at my dealer... the more in find out from the horse's mouth, the more i will relay on this.

Amazing!

V
Old 07-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #134
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
I think the big thing for many of us here will be less about max HP and more about having a supercharger installed which would not invalidate warranty

I would happily "settle for" 550-575hp if I knew my warranty was intact and there is definitely a "feel good" factor to an OEM tested / supported part - especially one as expensive as a supercharger

Given the interest in superchargers in our community this could be a very smart move for GM since to date I believe they have lost a lot of potential revenue by not having a solid set of GM offered / supported upgrades for this car.

Every day I am happier that I bought a camaro. No rush to upgrade the beast - between college fees for kids etc - but nice to be able to have some plans / ideas for down the road
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #135
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaymoreZ28 View Post
I think the big thing for many of us here will be less about max HP and more about having a supercharger installed which would not invalidate warranty

I would happily "settle for" 550-575hp if I knew my warranty was intact and there is definitely a "feel good" factor to an OEM tested / supported part - especially one as expensive as a supercharger

Given the interest in superchargers in our community this could be a very smart move for GM since to date I believe they have lost a lot of potential revenue by not having a solid set of GM offered / supported upgrades for this car.

Every day I am happier that I bought a camaro. No rush to upgrade the beast - between college fees for kids etc - but nice to be able to have some plans / ideas for down the road

nice.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #136
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-f...staxi-com.html
IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #137
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:

...warrantied performance upgrades are rarely the "highest" level of performance you can get. As an avid computer gamer as well, I know that the cost of living on the "bleeding edge" of the hobby and performance is any warranty you may have had when you bought the unit was invalidated as soon as you overclocked it...same applies here.

the other options I have been looking at is from this little shop down the road from me. comes with a 3yr/36k mile warranty as well.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hpe600camaro.html

Perhaps you've heard of them?
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #138
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That is pretty damn cool.

A little pricey

Damn cool. Well done GM!

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:49 AM   #139
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
Now where is the LS1/LS6 version?! ;-)
Ooo... There's a GREAT question!!! I think there is a market for something like this, and it might actually fit UNDER THE COWL! KUDOS for that question

Quote:
Originally Posted by besherman View Post
What are the differences between the LSA and the LS9?

How will an LS3 equipped with this new GM supercharger compare to the upcoming Z28 (LSA-equipped) Camaro?

Thanks,
Bruce
I believe Z28 will have the smaller 1.9L LSA SC. Even IF Z28 were to come with LSA, and even IF it were put generate more than CTS-V's 556 horsepower, I think you guys with TVS/TS SCs are going to put down more power to the tire. Considering most RWHP numbers I've seen from Vs are closer to 450-475, and you guys are getting 500+, I think LSA would have to be certified at more than 580 RWHP.

JMVHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue View Post
This appears to be just the manifold/intercooler. No drive system, no calibrations. CARB EO certification requires that every item changed on the car be included in the kit the EO # is attached to.
Example the GM E-Rod kit. http://tinyurl.com/28vl6jb
This will be sold as an "off road use only" part. (I hope I'm wrong, but....) No warranty, no emissions certification.
Not sure why anyone would do this over an LS9 crate engine, if you wanted an all "GM" SC car.

The LS9 requires a raised/window hood on a C6 ZR1, the Edelbrock fits under a stock hood.

I have a hard time seeing KB getting an EO on their kit. Nothing against them, just that a 2010 Camaro kit pretty much "requires" using the stock airbox lid for certification. Does KB have any EO'd systems for other cars?

Don't expect that to happen. Not till EATON reduces the rotor assembly price to everyone (and why would they?).
GMPP is notorious for having prices 40% higher than the aftermarket. The part goes thru to many steps in their distribution chain. The exception are crate engines. There they rule!

If you want an EO'd, complete, bolt-on supercharger kit you'll need to look to the aftermarket. God Bless Em:flag2:
Thanks for reminding me about the hood clearance on Corvette. I completely forgot about that!

IMVHO - GMPP has to do a lot in order to get a fair market share of SC customers out there. You, IMHO, bring up great points, along with posts from others. There are way too many other COMPLETE kits that either have ceritification or are seeking certification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@ST View Post
You are absolutely right, and Kenne Bell uses the stock air box on their 50 state legal kit making 660 RWHP with a 3.5 in pulley.100% stock car except for the KB. Im sure I can get Jim at KB to fax me a dyno sheet to post. For more power after 660 rwhp, you will need to upgrade to the comp filter kit. Thanks Adam
Do you mean 560 RWHP? I have not seen reports much more than this. This was the 2.8 kit; I haven't seen numbers for 3.6s yet though Please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Gmhightechperformance needs to aquire a unit from each Maggy, Edlebrock, Kenny Bell, Whipple, and this new GM LS9, and send them all to Ted Jannetty for back to back testing at 6,8,10,12,14 psi (using appropriate pulleys) on a stock LS3!
Let the games begin!
Maybe even throw in a mildly modified motor.

Does everone agree?
They've done Maggie and Edelbrock, and they were within a few of each other. It'd be interesting to see how much the KB/Whipple SCs improve upon those, if any. That's a WHOLE lotta' work though!!! I'd still LOVE to see that though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Headlines with more speculation than fact?????
Not sure where this started “Expect no less than 650hp’s with this kit, if combined with the correct drive system and LS9 internals. I bet this is speculation. ”Most supercharger could claim the same, yet as a bolt on it will be significantly less (and would probably come standard with a pulley limiting it to no more than 7psi).
It should probably say, expect to bolt on 150-175 hp, and more if you rebuild the bottom end and lower the compression. We sure know the blower is capable of much higher PSI as proven by the LS9
And this “* For L99 Camaro owners - this may be installed on your motors since the LS3 and L99 motors share the same heads. All you have to do is delete AFM and VVT (basically an LS3 conversion).” Who at GM has said the AFM and VVT have to be removed? I think that’s also speculation. If it’s shipped configured for a stock LS3, then I would wager the AFM and VVT could remain. (Though personally, I would remove the AFM and while I had the heads off, install a VVT blower optimized cam)
Sorry to be critical, but I was surprised to see this on the headline rather than in the discussion (where we all consider the “what ifs”)
I believe that can be safely implied because they DO share the same heads. I recall someone around here trying to keep the AFM on their SC-car, and with what we've seen from companies like MAST and we're going to see from Texas Speed (a SPONSOR ) it seems there may be a chance AFM could stay. I remember one or two companies on G8 forums trying to keep the AFM and were having success. I imagine ADM or Jannetti (among many others) would probably have something to comment about regarding this. I'd remove the AFM on my car, but if someone wanted to keep it, I believe there's a way to do it.

Quote:

I believe GM has a long ways to go in order for this to fly. Those thoughts were already covered by others but fair points, IMVHO, nonetheless.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #140
Tech
Tech

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via AIM to Tech
will it be covered by warranty? if it did it'd be bada$$