Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #29
todd69gs

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red 1LE 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-1-78x...30-p-5362.html

Boom! Long Tube Headers, Cats and no Check Engine Lights. Tuning will of course make more power, but until that day comes you can run these an not have to worry about the lights. Make sure to give us call for the best price! 443-730-9428
Just reading on your site about the green cats making more hp than the high flow cats.
Do you have any info on power increase with headers/green cats without a tune vs stock?
todd69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #30
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd69gs View Post
Just reading on your site about the green cats making more hp than the high flow cats.
Do you have any info on power increase with headers/green cats without a tune vs stock?
It would depend on a few other factors like what else you may have done to the car, the type of dyno, etc., but I would say Longtubes, plus green cats - no tune on a stock LS3, would yield ~25rwhp, and with a conservative tune more like ~35-40rwhp. I do not have dyno numbers on the green catted setups.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #31
todd69gs

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red 1LE 2SS
Thanks for the info. Very interesting.
I would assume that the car would throw a cel just based on the fact that the ecm couldn't provide enough fuel at wot with the longtubes with a stock tune.
What enables the green cats to make more power over the high flow cats?
todd69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #32
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Very true. Dont know what rock you are living under....but they do reserve the right to deny warranty If a car is modified beyond stock. Does it happen often....no......but yes they can.
Ask FrostySS what he does for a living. Not all mods void warranties. Talk to your local Chevy dealer.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:22 PM   #33
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by havelegs View Post
Like topic says if adding headers do you need a tune? I have a brand new SS and am concerned about tuning due to it possibly voiding my power train warranty if deemed it was the cause. At least with headers I can remove them and stick the stock ones back one if need be.
Yes you can run headers without a tune, but it can be risky.
1. Check engine light is an eventuality with high flow cats, or without cats a certainty.
2. Fuel maps and trims may adjust to a certain degree, but if you run lean, too often, you can go boom.

I will say I ran my 99 Formula with longtubes and no cats with a cam and no tune but the car ran pig rich. I ran autotap on it and looked at the fuel settings with a friend who knew what he was doing. I had what was called an 02 simulator plugged in that fooled the car to thinking the rear cats were still there and operating as normal. Car ran like a bat out of hell and ran rich which is much better than running lean. Again, this is not optimal, but doable.

If you run lean, you can really cause detonation and damage and even pop the motor.

As they say, you have to pay to play. Speed is expensive. How fast do you want to go?

But yes, you can do it, but I would strongly advise against it for more than a very short time.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #34
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sigh.. ..I give up on you people. I'm trying t give OP some sound advice and you rip it apart. As I said before, best advice is if you are not ready to take the plunge and run a possibility of voiding warranty.....DON'T DO IT! Simple.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #35
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Sigh.. ..I give up on you people. I'm trying t give OP some sound advice and you rip it apart. As I said before, best advice is if you are not ready to take the plunge and run a possibility of voiding warranty.....DON'T DO IT! Simple.
I don't disagree in the least. I am holding off on mine as I like my warranty for now.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #36
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Plain and simple. If you question voiding your warranty for any reason. Don't do any mods at all. It cost to play and the harder you play the more expensive it can and will get. Anything can break at any given time. Any performance mod enhances what the factory sends out the door and it decreases the life of something on the car. Yes you can do a lot of mods and never have any type of problem. But if you go to a "snake oil" shop you will hate yourself more then you will hate them. Do your research like you are now. Make a conclusion on whats most important to you and stick to it.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 PM   #37
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
So the mods I will be doing are set:

CAI which I highly, HIGHLY doubt any warranty issue would come up.
1LE 3.91 gears purchased from Chevrolet and installed by the dealer, along with the speedometer re-calibration. I talked to the service manager today and he explained that this is well within the warranty and is perfectly fine since it is available to the L99 Camaros. It does only include a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on that said part, though. Till then the car will remain as is including the AFM, which I actually like as it gives me a slight bit more MPG, we'll see how that goes after the gear gets installed.

Thanks for all your responses guys.
havelegs is offline   Reply With Quote