Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Detroit @2SS

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Transmission smell

I just bought a 2015 Camaro 2SS with a standard six speed transmission. I had it about two months with just over 2000 miles on it. The problem is I've been smelling my transmission burning since I got the car. I'm experienced driving stick shifts and I thought it was because the car was new and needs to be "broken in". However, it still smells like something is burning. Can somebody help me out. I'm taking it to the dealership next week to see what's going on. Thanks
Detroit @2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymeion View Post
I just bought a 2015 Camaro 2SS with a standard six speed transmission. I had it about two months with just over 2000 miles on it. The problem is I've been smelling my transmission burning since I got the car. I'm experienced driving stick shifts and I thought it was because the car was new and needs to be "broken in". However, it still smells like something is burning. Can somebody help me out. I'm taking it to the dealership next week to see what's going on. Thanks
Daymeion,

My apologies regarding your transmission smell. Although I understand your displeasure, it's great that you'll be proactively reaching out to your dealer for an official diagnosis. Keep us in the loop and updated on your service visit. If necessary, I can contact the dealer's Customer Experience Managers if you have additional questions. We'll look forward to your updates .

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Transmission is not burning, it is the clutch. The smell is normal for about 3-5k miles. It is the coating on the clutching burning off.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymeion View Post
You can check whether the clutch is slipping.

Put the car in fourth or fifth gear. Go gradually up to 2000rpm. Now floor it and see whether the tach follows the speedo or surges ahead momentarily.

If it tracks the speedo, relax! New cars do smell.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Transmission is not burning, it is the clutch. The smell is normal for about 3-5k miles. It is the coating on the clutching burning off.
This, I experienced the same thing with my SS, mine went away after about 8k miles, but im mostly on the highway
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Mine also did this when new. It lasted for about 1,200 miles and haven't smelled it since.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Usually only should happen when you ride the clutch (for example, uphill driveway). That is, clutch partially engaged & too much throttle. Happened to me once.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Detroit, its a Camaro problem, Ive driven manual transmissions all my life (Im 68) and my camaros clutch sucks..

anyone ever get a new clutch out of GM?
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #9
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit @2SS View Post
Noticed this also on a brand new 2014 2SS Manual. First time it happened I pulled in to a parking lot and lifted the hood, looked under the car, etc. and then figured it was maybe the car in front of me earlier, ha ha. Next time, thought it smelled like a preserving oil coating burning off the the factory installed NPP Exhaust. Or the Tire-Shine stuff the dealership put on got on the brake pads. -- Happens off and on; seems about every 5th day I drive it ... at some point I briefly smell the oil burn odor during a stop at an intersection. Had car for 2 weeks and less then 600 total miles on odometer now. Did your dealership agree with responses in the thread saying this is normal oil coating burning off from clutch area?
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote