Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
Clutch Issues?

So this has potential to make me sound clueless, be prepared...

I drive a 2010 2SS M6 with 13k miles on the clock.

Question is, while at the track for the Wednesday night drags I ran the car 3 times. On my third run at about half track the clutch began to slip badly obviously causing the rpms to spike at times. It almost made me think I was losing traction...

I do not use the bleach box for pre burnouts, I did not slip the clutch or dump it hard while launching. Could this clutch be ready to be replaced do to mileage? Did the clutch possibly just heat up on me causing it to slip? Any help would be appreciated as I'm about to either purchase a new clutch or....?

I did smell clutch after the third run but I immediately believed it was the other persons car. I believed this cause like I said I never abuse the clutch in any way. I ran a 12.90 with a 2.36 60' times, that right there shows that I'm not launching good, lol...

Any imput on what to look at or how to gauge the severity of this would be much appreciated. By the way I stopped racing the car and let it cool down completely. I then left the track and drove approximately 75 miles home with no problems noted whatsoever.

Jason
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Bogey99

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Jason,

Im no expert but I am a fine example of someone who tasks their car driving it pretty aggressive daily. I have unintentionally slipped the clutch a few times getting a strong smell. Anyway, I just hit 30K and have had no indications of clutch slip. I know you have discounted the possiblity of traction being lost but maybe its possible that you did. Did the clutch smell come from your car for sure? Did you have everything turned off (stabilitrak/trac control) during the runs? I dont think you should be having an issue at 13k unless you have just abused the living shit out of your clutch.
Bogey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Car was bought used from a 71 year old lady. I've owned it for about 450 miles. Like I said I don't ride or slip the clutch and the car has a total of 4 passes on it. All passes except for 1 were ran with the traction control ON. I had several friends at the track with me and were watching when my rpms were spiking half track like I was losing traction. They all said Damn dude your clutch slipping? Immediately after pulling back into lane 4 staging...

I'm guessing that the old lady was a shitty driver? The pedal hasn't done the notorious pedal to the floor stent. And driving the car now seems completely fine. What would cause it to slip at the track after 2-3 runs?

Thanks for the help

Jason
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Check your brake master cylinder level. If you smell clutch you MAY have that level in your resevoir lower than normal. Just check. What was your trans temp? Was it ^? I'm no expert either but these things could indicate problems, but @ 13000mi with clutch slip? I don't think so. You could check the clutch plate and pressure as well(not real easy but this could tell you a great deal). One last thing, do you notice any leaks from transmission, clutch? As a last resort have it checked. What is your normal 0-60? Just curious. Might be wise and would be a good opportunity if you're racing to pick up the high performance racing clutch and components if the they make them.
Troy Lawson
Old 05-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Thanks Troy for the useful info. I'm going to check the clutch today like you indicate. I was te there is a window "nickname" that can be taken off to see a small amount of the clutch in order to check its life. Good thing is, if I do get a clutch I spoke with the chevy dealership and they will instal it while they fix my rear main seal leak.

I was just extremely disheartened by this clutch experience as I've drag raced several vehicles over 10 times a night with ZERO incidents. My buddy Josh, "Pyroboy" has near 620 rwhp and currently has no issues on his stock clutch.

As for my transmission, no leakage anywhere under the car. No funky noises whatsoever.

Jason
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
You probably heated the plates up enough at the track on the first run to get them slipping, and once they cooled down they gripped properly again. I doubt the stock pressure plate and springs are tight enough on full release/full launch to keep it from slipping under drag strip pressure anyway....even if you're NOT abusing it. Of course, the previous owner could have slightly crystalized the clutch/pressure plates before they were properly broke-in...kinda like new brake pads need to be worn-in properly so they won't crystalize and become slick. If you're gonna routinely go to the track, I'd definitely get a heavier clutch installed, and in no time you'll get those times trimmed down to 11's instead of 12+!!
10forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
You have to watch them little old ladies.. Heck I bet she has timeslips left over in the glocebox from her runs..

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Jason... I sent nick a text to text you. Is the cbrake fluid dark and thick looking? mine was at 13,000 and I never tracked or slipped the clutch and I'm not a shitty stick driver. It's the drawback of a combined system.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Your buddy is lucky if he gets no slipping at over 600 WHP. The stock clutch is pretty good below 500 wheel but over that, it's pretty weak. I know A LOT of ppl that have clutch issues related to power. They just can't hold it, ESP after multiple runs.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
I had the stock clutch for a while and it never slipped at over 600RWHP but I was affraid of it and changed it out to a Twin Disc ZR1 clutch.

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
SSZYLN

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
Same exact thing happened to me 2x now. Bone stock with 14k miles...had traction and stability control both completely off. First time I thought I might have missed the shift, but by the second time I know it was the clutch slipping. First time was 1-2 shift and the second time it was the 2-3 shift. I will be adding the remote reservior for the clutch fluid separating it from the brake fluid and upgrading to DOT4 synthetic at the same time. I hope it makes a difference.
SSZYLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Those of you with an M6....you should add the remote resivoir to seperate out your clutch/brake system.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147129
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
DarkObsession

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2/LS3
Yeah, it's likely that the fluid got too hot and caused the clutch to stick/slip.

And Josh is replacing his clutch - I believe - because if he didn't now, he was going to have major issues soon enough
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
SnoopyAce7
(ʘ‿ʘ)

Drives: The one with a roof rack
[Tried] to do a burnout after several successful ones in the past, revved to 4k, released the clutch (too slowly), and smelled clutch thereafter. I knew it didnt feel like a burnout so luckily i was able to stop before prolonged damage. For the next week or so it felt like my clutch was "mildly glazed", with a little bit of slipping when i would start from a dead stop. I was very worried about what damage was done. Changed out the clutch fluid noticing much dust and dirt in the fluid. After a few days, no more slipping and the clutch feels like before the failed burnout. Driving hard (i.e. at the track), will increase the contamination of the hydraulic clutch fluid. Try this and see if it helps. http://rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html