Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #57
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I continue to hear these stories about rock chips......and I've never seen a picture of the rock chips.

Anyone care to share?? Story after story and no pix.
You mean from the OP? Or anyone?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #58
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMchin View Post
I have both factory paint and custom paint (IOM) done by a friend who owns his own shop and does it for a living. Both areas of the car have chips. It seems the car body lines promote rock chips, but that's just a guess. I haven't noticed the factory paint vs custom being better then the other...
I think there is definitely something to this. First of all, the front of this car is pretty big and "flat" compared to other cars out there today. Lots of surface area on the front fascia to absorb stones.

Second, the "hips" on this car are wide. They stick out there and are yet again more surface area to absorb debris.

Lastly, the tires on this car are wide and sticky. They tend to pick up junk off the road. And the way the rocker panels wrap towards the underneath of the car leaves quite an angle to take a hit.

However, the lines of this car are one of the things that make it so great. You can't have such a design and not expect some tradeoffs. Having said that, I have the same car as everyone else and I don't see the chips that some people are seeing.

I will say that I had a car and drove it in an area that put a lot of stones on the road during the winter. In one trip of about an hour, the lower rocker panels were totally chewed up. It had nothing to do with the paint. No paint could stand up to the "sandblasting" that the cinders from the road did on the car. Because I was planning on driving this car on roads where that type of debris was likely, I added mud flaps and damage was greatly reduced. My truck that I currently drive has the same issue. If you drive any car on roads with lots of debris, you are going to get chips.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #59
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
I continue to hear these stories about rock chips......and I've never seen a picture of the rock chips.

hey Tag, I found this thread with these pictures on it....
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t+chips&page=2
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #60
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
So how are people getting there rock chips repainted by the dealership? Would like to know how you approached them and said it was GM's fault?
Read my thread under warranty/TSB Paint Problems... read this!
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #61
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
Is this a pattern with the black paint?
Mine's holding up ok. I have a few *really* small chips abd a door ding, that's all.

All damage shows up more on black....I kinda wish I got the Aqua blue...
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #62
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I've lost two tires to nails and windshield from a rock. Strangly no paint issues. Save for a small spot of something embedded in the paint. I call it her character mark.
That's the best way to look at it, really!
NicksVSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #63
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
IOM here. Zero chips. My car is also thirteen months old with only 3200 miles on it. Maybe if I drove it more, I might have more chips.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #64
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

i don't know if anyone has posted a picture of a car with no chips in the gill area, but here is mine I just took it, my car has 10,300 miles on it, driven in all kinds of weather, on all types of roads except gravel and dirt roads. I would have posted one of the front bumper but i need to clean off the bugs first ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 07-28-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #65
Turbodog

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have a black 2SS and have the same problem with chips and etching. My car is 1 year old with 6000 miles. It is garage kept and is not a daily driver. It only comes out when the weather is good, and it has been waxed at least 10 times (Zaino & Mequiars). However, it has numerous chips (mostly on the hood and front), and the paint etches very easily. Two days ago I noticed some bird dropping on top that was on the car no than an hour. I immediately washed it off, but the paint was already etched. This has happened before, and the only way I could remove the mark was using compound/polish. I love my car, but I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint. I am also very disappointed in the waxes that I expected to protect against bird droppings and other contaminants.
Turbodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #66
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

So what does that mean tag? I'm a lair just because I didn't post pics of my car.
What would I have to gain buy saying my car was chipped up when it wasn't. I also don't know what I would have to gain by posting pic's of the misery for the world to see. I've just come to accept the fact that the paint isn't going to wear well on this car so I don't worry about it anymore. I have more fun with it now because I don't worry about every little mark anymore.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #67
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So what does that mean tag? I'm a lair just because I didn't post pics of my car.
What would I have to gain buy saying my car was chipped up when it wasn't. I also don't know what I would have to gain by posting pic's of the misery for the world to see. I've just come to accept the fact that the paint isn't going to wear well on this car so I don't worry about it anymore. I have more fun with it now because I don't worry about every little mark anymore.
I don't think he was calling you a lier, just that he had not seen any pictures of the chips, which I found some in another thread and posted for him. but he has not replied to that....
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #68
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I with you brother. I have decided to stop taking mine in every other month to get the dealer to repaint a new section even though they have been doing it under warranty.

I'm running it the way it is. I'm not going to fuss over it any more. Hell, I haven't even washed it for over a month. It's not worth it. I'm going to run this one into the ground and get a Z/28 when they come out. Hopefully they get a hold on making water based paints more durable by then.

Water based automotive paints are not new. California has been using them for many years.

When I watched the "how the Camaro is made" show on TV, I thought these were a powdercoat paint baked on. That's what they showed, and the primer was the same way.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #69
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonZ28 View Post
Water based automotive paints are not new. California has been using them for many years.

When I watched the "how the Camaro is made" show on TV, I thought these were a powdercoat paint baked on. That's what they showed, and the primer was the same way.
You are confused. NO powder coated paint on any GM Bodys.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #70
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
man I can't believe these problems, here I am with 10K miles on mine and narry a paint problem except for where a big rock flew out of a truck tire and popped the front just below the lower grill.. No gill chips and no scratching of the paint anywhere that I can see...
I don't konw why I am not experiencing any of those problems. just wonder if there is anyone out there like me with no paint issues.
right there with you 530 miles on my camaro drivin it past construction zones every day for 3 weeks and not one scratch on the paint its in perfect condition
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote