Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Awesome info!
Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice

I see why it was love at first sight. The GM cut-away and the crash test videos let you know the car loves you back.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
the camaro just outclass' the mustang in both side and frontal impacts,can't believe that the mustang does not have side curtain airbags..???mustang buyers should check in to the safety comparisons before making decisions on the mustang,
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
ToFast

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWMAN View Post
the camaro just outclass' the mustang in both side and frontal impacts,can't believe that the mustang does not have side curtain airbags..???mustang buyers should check in to the safety comparisons before making decisions on the mustang,
Did you see how the passenger in the back of the mustang hit the window?Ouch! They need to add airbags!
ToFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToFast View Post
Did you see how the passenger in the back of the mustang hit the window?Ouch! They need to add airbags!
A SRT8 owner raised a question in the LSA thread and I found these videos to create a reply. I thought you might find them interesting. The side impact damage is surprising. The rear seat occupants appear to be safer than the driver.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #20
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I just showed Kim the video of the Charger......She's not happy with me right now.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #21
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
hard to believe the force the charger got hit with, after the Same impact in the Camaro that makes it look trivial.

Looks like we are much safer in the Camaro..
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #22
JusticePete

The 5th gen Camaro is not a 4th Gen Camaro. Study the pictures of the GM cut-away. Research the materials beyond the information included in the thread. Watch the crash videos. Study the Pedders USA Camaro Performance in the chart and watch the videos.

[u2b]1xOM3Z_-fdM[u2b]

Ask yourself, do I need braces on the rock solid 5th Gen?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #23
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Yes, absolutely you do.....

to hold you in the seat better.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #24
Hawgredcamaro

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2LT Camaro
Ok, so it's always hard for me to watch them destroy cars like this but I understand why they do. And, I'm guessing the government makes all manufacturers do this to make sure they are road worthy before they will let them sell them in the US. My question is, do they do this to ultra expensive, hand built cars too like the Rolls, Bentleys, Ferrari's and such? If so, what a waiste!!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Chr...14880961919019
Hawgredcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #25
JusticePete

Yes they do.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #26
GetInTheCar
...and just go

Drives: 2010 2LT Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Bump becuase the Camaro5 community needs to know how well built a 5th Gen Camaro is.
I can personally attest to that. When I hit a pole with the right front going around 25 mph, the air bag deployed, I thought I'd broke my kneecap from how hard it hit the dash, but the shoulder belt had me pinned - no whiplash. Like it was holding me in it's big cuddly arms. And that lovely large crumple zone in the front kept the suspension damage to a minimum, although I did end up having to replace the steering rack.

I can't say I was glad to see my car mashed, but I was glad I wasn't driving anything else (and glad the other guy was liable). What isn't there to love about this car? I DO love mine more than ever, for how well it protected me, and for how, after a lot of sheet metal repair, welds and paint, it's almost back to it's old self. Now THAT'S a real muscle car.
GetInTheCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetInTheCar View Post
I can personally attest to that. When I hit a pole with the right front going around 25 mph, the air bag deployed, I thought I'd broke my kneecap from how hard it hit the dash, but the shoulder belt had me pinned - no whiplash. Like it was holding me in it's big cuddly arms. And that lovely large crumple zone in the front kept the suspension damage to a minimum, although I did end up having to replace the steering rack.

I can't say I was glad to see my car mashed, but I was glad I wasn't driving anything else (and glad the other guy was liable). What isn't there to love about this car? I DO love mine more than ever, for how well it protected me, and for how, after a lot of sheet metal repair, welds and paint, it's almost back to it's old self. Now THAT'S a real muscle car.

When people complain about the weight of the Camaro they do need to take into consideration the benefits of the additional structure. The videos and your personal experience speak volumes. The structure also makes the 5th Gen respond incredibly well to suspension modifications. Now we can have the same robust structure in a Vert and ZL1.

Thank you Chevrolet!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #28
JusticePete

Strut Tower Bars are once again a hot topic on Camaro5 as GM added them to the Vert and will have one on the ZL1. GM added the strut tower bar to the Vert because they cut out the roof and needed to add reinforcement in several areas. Adding the bar to the ZL1 is part sizzle and part we already have it so why not use it.

No one has been able to document an improvement in handling with a strut tower bar. We know that we pull 1.4 gs in turns on street tires with peaks of over 1.4 gs on all OE arms and without a strut tower bar. If you like the look, add a strut tower bar. If you think you need one, take another look at the crash and track videos in this thread.