Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #43
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
i just hope everyone hee who whined this will be the last V8 camaro reads this and eats their crow for lunch.
Insert foot here I was worried, too, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
All these posts and not one mention of Z/28?

Z2-what?...
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #44
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
A DI motor will respond just as well to bolt ons as the current motors do and besides the tick noise produced by the mechanical fuel pump, it will sound just as good too.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #45
American Muscle

Drives: #26 Tom Henry Racing 2010 1SS/LS3
sweet .. great news
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #46
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
This is mostly true. You also have to have your ECU reprogrammed with different fuel maps. E85 has more oxygen molecules then standard gas. Because of this, you need to inject more fuel for the same volume of air. I have a friend who ran on E85 for a while and did the math. Running E85 worked out the same cost wise as running 89 octane in his car, however you get the benefit of better preformance. E85 is about the equivalent of 100 octane gas preformance wise. I had a supercharger kit added to my '94 Subaru SVX. We did a remap of the factory ECU and added a second set of maps for running E85. I haven't replaced the fuel lines so I don't run it, but all I need to do id replace them an run a 12Vdc power switch to the ECU to tell it what maps to use.
For me, I got much worse mileage and the cost was far greater than using 91/93 octane because of this. Some states subsidize E85 so your results may vary I'm assuming the next gen flex fuel vehicles will not have as big of a mileage drop as my 10 year old truck has!
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Good news. I was a bit surprised to see that they will be lighter than the current engines. Perhaps we will see a sub 400 lb "LR1"? gen V small block?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
For me, I got much worse mileage and the cost was far greater than using 91/93 octane because of this. Some states subsidize E85 so your results may vary I'm assuming the next gen flex fuel vehicles will not have as big of a mileage drop as my 10 year old truck has!
The physics of the fuel won't change. Ethanol still has less energy per gallon than gasoline does. It does have a higher octane rating than gasoline, so increasing the compression ratio could yield a bit of a gain. But odds are, GM will still optimize the engines to run on gasoline, with the option of running E85, rather than focusing on E85 with a gasoline option.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #48
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
This is great ... now we really can compete with the Germans and Italian's

But I have a gut feeling that the modding capability's are going to be tight

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #49
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
This is great ... now we really can compete with the Germans and Italian's

But I have a gut feeling that the modding capability's are going to be tight
Compete with the Germans and Italians? Why should GM degrade themselves? I'll take an LS3 over a BMW S65 (4L V8 for the M3) or an LS7 over any 500+ hp unit from Italy any day. Lighter, cheaper, more efficient, more torque, more durable. Sounds to me like GM kicks their ass already.

I don't understand why some are saying the engines will be maxed out. Until GM says they are going to be aiming for 100 hp/L with these engines, the potential will still be there. And I just don't see them doing that. They'll still be large displacement truck engines at heart. It won't be 500hp 3.9L DOHC VVT DI V8s with a 10k rpm redline (too much hyperbole? meh). They'll need to retain all their exisiting qualities. The ability to mod these engines is directly related to one of the other advantages to ths SBC: low cost. Cheapest way for an automaker to make an engine powerful is to make it large displacement. And GM will want these engines to be about as cheap as possible because they'll sell about a million of them each and every year. Saving a few hundred bucks per engine will be utterly massive to GM.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #50
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Compete with the Germans and Italians? Why should GM degrade themselves? I'll take an LS3 over a BMW S65 (4L V8 for the M3) or an LS7 over any 500+ hp unit from Italy any day. Lighter, cheaper, more efficient, more torque, more durable. Sounds to me like GM kicks their ass already.

I don't understand why some are saying the engines will be maxed out. Until GM says they are going to be aiming for 100 hp/L with these engines, the potential will still be there. And I just don't see them doing that. They'll still be large displacement truck engines at heart. It won't be 500hp 3.9L DOHC VVT DI V8s with a 10k rpm redline (too much hyperbole? meh). They'll need to retain all their exisiting qualities. The ability to mod these engines is directly related to one of the other advantages to ths SBC: low cost. Cheapest way for an automaker to make an engine powerful is to make it large displacement. And GM will want these engines to be about as cheap as possible because they'll sell about a million of them each and every year. Saving a few hundred bucks per engine will be utterly massive to GM.
The next generation of GM engines will incorporate DI and VVT. I heard they are going to accomplish this with 4v heads but the engines will still be pushrod motors. Possibly going to use cam in cam technology or run 2 cams keeping them both inside the block.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #51
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
BADASS!

I'm still not waitin around for mine tho.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote