Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Compuzen

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
A few questions about my (new to me) SS

Hey guys. I have found most the stuff I've been trying to figure out on here or through Google, but had a few questions that you all might know off the top of your head.

I see on some of you guys cars there's an SS emblem on the trunk. I have one in the front grill, seats, and mats, but not one on the trunk. Anyone know why that is?

Next is that it came with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm in love with the way this car sounds. It reminded me of the Mustang GT 500 from Gone in 60 seconds the first time I got down on the gas. (thats the best way I can describe how it sounds) I know its Magnaflow, but not sure which model.

I'm adding a couple pics so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

From the pics, can you tell if its a complete system? I see systems that are cat back, axle back. It kinda looks to me like the cat is gone, unless thats it over the red tunnel brace. Also, can you tell from the pic if the headers are stock or aftermarket?

I hope none of that sounded to dumb. I'm still getting to know this car and am one of those people that wants to know every square inch of my ride.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Compuzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Gibby'SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Hi and welcome.

It's likely the prior owner removed the rear emblem.

It appears your exhaust is pieced together? Your headers are aftermarket. There are cats present. They are the large cans just where the headers curve underneath the car. You can see in your photo where the O2 sensors are connected in the area of the cats. Some of the exhaust piping appears factory? Maybe aftermarket headers and axle back. It's hard to tell.
[COLOR="Blue"]CAI Intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and full exhaust, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, TFS Gen X 255 heads, custom VVT cam by Pat Guerra, RX Catch Can, Pedderized suspension, ghosted side markers, Technostalgia tail lights, Big Worm spears, Forgestar f14 in gunmetal, Nitto Invo 275/315

455HP/422TQ.
Gibby'SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Compuzen

Ah, thank you!

I did see those and wondered about it, but I wasn't sure they were big enough to be cats lol. I'm going to measure the pipes after the cats next time I'm under it to see what size they are.

If it is pieced together, it might be why I couldn't find anything online to match it. I'm not complaining though. It sounds great. All the guys at work love it too. I might do one of those famous youtube videos of the sound and post it up lol.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Many of the aftermarket exhausts come in several pieces. That being said, it looks like your exhaust is pieced together since the metals all look different colors.

A rundown of your exhaust:

Long tube headers - Rusted, not sure of brand but it doesn't appear to be made of 304 or 409SS. That would make them mild steel which would be most likely Pace setters.

High flow cats or off road pipes - These are connected to the headers. Can't tell if they're cats or not since a few people make off road pipes that look like cats.

Resonated X pipe - That muffler looking thing in front of the tunnel brace.

Muffler delete - Straight pipes from the resonator to the tips. It looks to be pressbent as well. The section from the rear end to the tips looks to be aluminized.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
It looks to me like headers and high flow cats mated to the stock exhuast and a magnaflow axle back.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
I'm with axis!
Also you have some suspension upgrades as well on it too!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Compuzen

Thanks axis! Now I have a better understanding of what's on there. I appreciate all the help guys.

Litle88, it looks like there's a lot of suspension parts added. Looks like everything connected to the rear wheels and rear sway bar are Spohn aftermarket parts. I know there's a Spohn front sway bar also, but haven't been able to get under there yet to check the rest out. I might make a post with the suspension stuff later, but here's some pics of what I saw on the rear end.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
It looks to me like headers and high flow cats mated to the stock exhuast and a magnaflow axle back.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
None of the Camaro's came with that resonator. That's definitely aftermarket. The only thing OEM on that exhaust is the piping from the cats to the new resonator. You can tell by the color. Unless that resonator is magnaflow, the only thing I see that's MF is the tips. That axleback tubing looks to be common aluminzed muffler shop tubing. It's also pressbent which is a giveaway. I'm fairly certain the MF muffler delete axleback is mandrel bent.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Looks to be essentially a custom Magnaflow 15090, Lots of Shohn suspension parts, Pfadt Springs and its hard to tell what brand of headers. I'd say you scored pretty good with all the aftermarket stuff!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Compuzen

Thanks Tyler! I wasn't sure if the springs or shocks were stock or not. Still not sure about the shocks. The only thing I can tell under the hood is it has a cai. I don't think there's been any engine work done.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuzen View Post
Thanks Tyler! I wasn't sure if the springs or shocks were stock or not. Still not sure about the shocks. The only thing I can tell under the hood is it has a cai. I don't think there's been any engine work done.
Well that and the car more than likely has been tuned (since it's running long tube headers) - which means no powertrain warranty.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Well that and the car more than likely has been tuned (since it's running long tube headers) - which means no powertrain warranty.
+1 unless they are running some sort of antifouler on the 02 sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compuzen View Post
Chances are the struts are stock. Most people won't replace them unless they are worn out or they are upgrading to coilovers. Please feel free to call, Pm or email me anytime with questions. We are always happy to help.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Compuzen

What would void the powertrain warranty? If its tuned?

My engine light does come on sometimes. I checked it with my reader and it comes up as an O2 sensor error. I figured it had to be from the exhaust modifications. Does that mean no tune?

I just read up on the antifouler mod for the O2 sensors. I'm gonna give that a shot soon lol.

Thanks again!