Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I'm with you...these are great cars. I have nothing to complain about and lots to brag about with Camaros in general.

If I can't ever use the OnStar iPhone app, I won't feel any differently about my car than I did before I knew the app existed...which is ecstatic!
Totally agree!
Old 08-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduk8r View Post
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.
I think this 31 second video addresses your question quite well.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #17
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Not on Silverados or Sierras either?
WTF?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrvr View Post
Guys...i know your upset that it won't work on your 2010 but think of how long you've gone without it. You will be fine. I don't know everything about that stuff but if it only works with the newer version of onstar than that's it. The newer version must have some type of new programming in it that allows the signal to be transferred from your phone to onstar then to your car.

The older version was only built to send a signal to and from your car. It makes sense to me. You all act like everybody must think of everything all at once. Just because they couldn't come out with this at the same time as the camaro doesn't mean they screwed up.

Who knows...maybe you can go to a dealer or something and get onstar upgraded.
That's not how OnStar works.

The unit in your car ALREADY has the programming needed to do a bunch of things remotely.

They are just being lazy and/or trying to force people to buy a new car sooner.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #19
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Here we go again
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Here we go again
I paid good money for my auto manufacturer and I am a very stern boss.

When I see my employees doing a shoddy job and/or disappointing customers, I put my foot down. When I find out which one of my lazy programmers didn't support previous model years there's going to be hell to pay.

As co-owner, I hope you will not be one of those "pushover" bosses...
Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Onstar can tell me all about my car and lock and unlock my doors. They can slow my vehicle down and it has remote start. So whats the reason again that this app can not talk to my car?
Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #22
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Don't you think that if they could make it work with the 2010's, they would? They'd make more money that way. Like it or not, there certainly can be hardware limitations. The OnStar equipment in the car could simply not have the appropriate memory space for the additional 2 way communications/commands that needs to be added for these extra features. (no, I am not saying that there is not already 2 way communications, of course there is) Last I knew, OnStar as it is cannot send a remote start command to your vehicle. If OnStar corporate can't do it, how would the app do it? OnStar is an evolving product, much like any other electronic item. I equate it to the new crop of 3D capable TV's. Do you think the TV manufacturers can go back and add 3D tech to last year's model? nope. Or for that matter, a Gigabit network switch vs a standard 10/100 network switch. - can you go back to the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade the siwtch because the Gigabit version didnt exist when you bought the 10/100, after all, they still take the same type of data and cable, right? Nope, not gonna happen. there are hardware limitations in the circuitry.

Would it be great if they could add it for the 2010's? yep. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen, at least not from GM.

it's not 100% the same, since it is a separate install, but Viper has SmartStart that will remote start/unlock/lock your car from an iphone, android phone, OR blackberry, too. it may not have the vehicle details/features of the onstar app, but the big part is there, so that's an option for you.

be upset if you want, but please don't think that GM is out to get you because you can't have it in your car.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #23
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think this 31 second video addresses your question quite well.

HAHAHA... Well said sir!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #24
nashstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
Don't you think that if they could make it work with the 2010's, they would? They'd make more money that way. Like it or not, there certainly can be hardware limitations. The OnStar equipment in the car could simply not have the appropriate memory space for the additional 2 way communications/commands that needs to be added for these extra features. (no, I am not saying that there is not already 2 way communications, of course there is) Last I knew, OnStar as it is cannot send a remote start command to your vehicle. If OnStar corporate can't do it, how would the app do it? OnStar is an evolving product, much like any other electronic item. I equate it to the new crop of 3D capable TV's. Do you think the TV manufacturers can go back and add 3D tech to last year's model? nope. Or for that matter, a Gigabit network switch vs a standard 10/100 network switch. - can you go back to the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade the siwtch because the Gigabit version didnt exist when you bought the 10/100, after all, they still take the same type of data and cable, right? Nope, not gonna happen. there are hardware limitations in the circuitry.

Would it be great if they could add it for the 2010's? yep. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen, at least not from GM.

it's not 100% the same, since it is a separate install, but Viper has SmartStart that will remote start/unlock/lock your car from an iphone, android phone, OR blackberry, too. it may not have the vehicle details/features of the onstar app, but the big part is there, so that's an option for you.

be upset if you want, but please don't think that GM is out to get you because you can't have it in your car.
On the same note... Apple just released IOS 4 and they made it backwards compatible to iPhone 3GS and 3G... Both of them run different hardwares.

When Google releases an upgrade, they make sure that ALL OF THEIR PHONES can work with it. You know how different Android phones are from each other!

So this is an endless argument. My point being that the hardware is there in our current vehicles. When a person can press a button and remotely unlock our cars, a mobile app can do it too. They just have to write an interface that will work with the existing hardware (Gen 8). IMO there are no "hardware limitations", thats all a marketing ploy!

Being a project manager by profession, my theory is that GM just did not decide to invest in the Gen 8 interface and went with Gen 9 only. From their perspective they could have thought that its not worth spending it in gen 8 since it will not help them sell additional cars... who knows, but we have been left in the dark and that is a FACT!

GM is not exactly the smartest company in the world, they have made stupid decisions before that have cost them big time.

Last edited by nashstat; 08-06-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #25
cterry
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2010 Carmaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduk8r View Post
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 AM   #26
nashstat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydrvr View Post
Guys...i know your upset that it won't work on your 2010 but think of how long you've gone without it. You will be fine. I don't know everything about that stuff but if it only works with the newer version of onstar than that's it. The newer version must have some type of new programming in it that allows the signal to be transferred from your phone to onstar then to your car.

The older version was only built to send a signal to and from your car. It makes sense to me. You all act like everybody must think of everything all at once. Just because they couldn't come out with this at the same time as the camaro doesn't mean they screwed up.

Who knows...maybe you can go to a dealer or something and get onstar upgraded.
OnStar works differently than that. This "signal" is the same signal that your cell phones receive. OnStar works on a Verizon cellular data network. Basically the OnStar module is a cell phone with additional functionality. Your iPhone/Android app will not directly connect to your car. The app will go through the internet to OnStar's center and send the same "lock/unlock" signal as the OnStar cust rep does today to your vehicle!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #27
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
OnStar works differently than that. This "signal" is the same signal that your cell phones receive. OnStar works on a Verizon cellular data network. Basically the OnStar module is a cell phone with additional functionality. Your iPhone/Android app will not directly connect to your car. The app will go through the internet to OnStar's center and send the same "lock/unlock" signal as the OnStar cust rep does today to your vehicle!
Well that should be good for when some 12 year old in China hacks the database and starts all the GM cars in America at the same time.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #28
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
On the same note... Apple just released IOS 4 and they made it backwards compatible to iPhone 3GS and 3G... Both of them run different hardwares.

When Google releases an upgrade, they make sure that ALL OF THEIR PHONES can work with it. You know how different Android phones are from each other!

So this is an endless argument. My point being that the hardware is there in our current vehicles. When a person can press a button and remotely unlock our cars, a mobile app can do it too. They just have to write an interface that will work with the existing hardware (Gen 8). IMO there are no "hardware limitations", thats all a marketing ploy!

Being a project manager by profession, my theory is that GM just did not decide to invest in the Gen 8 interface and went with Gen 9 only. From their perspective they could have thought that its not worth spending it in gen 8 since it will not help them sell additional cars... who knows, but we have been left in the dark and that is a FACT!

GM is not exactly the smartest company in the world, they have made stupid decisions before that have cost them big time.
yes, iOS4 is backwards compatible with the 3G & 3GS, but HARDWARE limitations prevent the same functionality as the iPhone 4, so it's not the same experience.

android phones, you're still talking about the software. you're not gonna get new hardware functionality.

you say that the hardware is there in our current vehicles... it's there as far as remote unlocking, and likely locking too... but can onstar currently remotely start your car? don't ever recall seeing this as an option... and it's not neccessarily just a software limitation- it's possible, but not likely.
as to weather or not they could put together an app that would let you remotely unlock and lock the vehicle as currently designed? yeah, probably they could... but then again, would such an app that can't remote start the car really be worth it? maybe.

onstar went through a similar issue back when transitioning from analog service to digital. alot of vehicles were left behind, due to hardware limitations. it's not an ideal situation, but it is what it is. I can understand frustration with this, but to say that GM is upgrading and offering new services on new vehicles, simply to force consumers to buy new vehicles is a bit over the top, in my opinon. I am not saying that they don't think about that, but I doubt that they're sitting in a room somewhere thinking of how they can screw over current owners. It's more about attracting new owners, at this point- Offering new services that other mfg's dont have.

Closed Thread