Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I think you might be right, they copied the zl1 anti roll bar drop points to get more roll stiffness, reducing understeer.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
MrBowTi3

Drives: 2013 1SS Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I know there were suspension improvements in 2012 but haven't heard anything new about the 2013 SS. How is the 2013 different from the 2012? I think they're the same besides the addition of 1LE.
7 inch touchscreen if you care about that
MrBowTi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
I want to know how the 1LE will do against the Laguna Seca!
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
I want to know how the 1LE will do against the Laguna Seca!
http://jalopnik.com/5931109/camaro-1le-around-the-block

Quote:
The Boss 302 Mustang Laguna Seca was the undisputed muscle car track king, but, like Phelps, its reign isn't infinite. All bow down to the Camaro 1LE, your new king.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Great article, but it isn't a 1LE vs laguna seca back to back comparo.

Oh well, I'm sure someone will do it soon.
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
Great article, but it isn't a 1LE vs laguna seca back to back comparo.

Oh well, I'm sure someone will do it soon.
I sure hope so. I'm expecting motor trend to step up. They usually have videos to go with their comparisons too. I just hope they put it against the Laguna Seca. It seems the other magazines don't think the 1LE can hang with it.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I agree if you're comparing to the standard SS but every review I've read says the 1LE has incredible balance compared to the SS and feels mroe nimble due to the suspension and electric assist steering. I'd be crious to get your opinion if you get behind the wheel of a 1LE.
Wasn't driving an SS, although I am incorrectly comparing the ZL1 from which the suspension is derived to the Boss. Perhaps the different tire set-up and lack of the MR suspension and blower weight will make the 1LE feel better balanced but it was strictly shear grip and confidence in the IRS that allowed me to go fast in the ZL1. It lacked the balance and toss ability of the Boss IMHO.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

PS. Have I mentioned the grip in the ZL1? Tenacious.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Old 10-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
I am confused how balance and tossability are present in the same car? You would think balance is tied to a car that has neutral handling (1LE) and very good limit grip on both axles.

I am not sure what to understand tossability as? Response to inputs? Easier to drift/slide?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Probably perceived lightness. The flex in the Mustang's weaker chassis will add or take away from its "perceived" capabilities. Give me a more rigid chassis to work with any day.

Also as a note the Camaro's more rigid chassis will give it a feeling/sense of being heavier than it actually is, "perceived" as less tossable. Full framed race-cars do not feel tossable they feel planted!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
I am confused how balance and tossability are present in the same car? You would think balance is tied to a car that has neutral handling (1LE) and very good limit grip on both axles.

I am not sure what to understand tossability as? Response to inputs? Easier to drift/slide?
A car that responds to directional change instantly and as a whole unit. The big difference IMHO between the Boss and the GT or GT500. The wheels turn on those cars but it feels as if the body and therefore directional change lag a bit behind. I found this to be even worse on the first C5 Camaro I ever drove (sorry, don't remember which trim level), and still a wee bit present in the ZL1, although the way this Monster deals with undulations, rough pavement, and curbs more than makes up for the delay in transient response. As I said, the ZL1 is all kinds of impressive grip with the body managing to keep up with the tires rather than leading them. No criticism, just my own personal experience and perspective. Just test drove a DB9 that while a great car overall, feel even less connected to the road. My benchmark in this category is actually the current Cayman S. Leech like with an unbelievable agility.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Probably perceived lightness. The flex in the Mustang's weaker chassis will add or take away from its "perceived" capabilities. Give me a more rigid chassis to work with any day.

Also as a note the Camaro's more rigid chassis will give it a feeling/sense of being heavier than it actually is, "perceived" as less tossable. Full framed race-cars do not feel tossable they feel planted!
Actually, I would argue the opposite. Back when I raced, many, many, many years ago, the tighter and more sophisticated the chassis, the more tossable the car. The standard Mustang, and indeed the GT500 I would not describe as toss able, the 1LE maybe.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #27
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
My 2007 GT with mods made the 2011 5.0L feel like a pig and it also had more understeer making me believe the 5.0 motor was heavier than the 4.6 3v.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #28
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
My 2007 GT with mods made the 2011 5.0L feel like a pig and it also had more understeer making me believe the 5.0 motor was heavier than the 4.6 3v.
I think the motor was slightly lighter, but the front end definitely picked up weight or the distribution of weight overall. Can't stand understeer, and while oversteer can be fun I absolutely love a neutral car. The Boss was very, very close especially on stock rubber (I screwed that up), but the kings in that category are the Elsie and new Cayman S. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't had the pleasure. All my experience with BMW's is that they always leaned toward manageable oversteer whereas Audis just plow like pigs which is why the R8 was such a brilliant departure for Audi...never considered the brand seriously before that. Mazda has also from time to time, impressed me. Ford and GM, seldom but in recent years they are moving in the right direction. I said this once before here and got shouted down for it, but a lighter Camaro with the benefits of the MR suspension I bet would be a handling dream.