Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Is this like the lexan windows in nascar where they have the three metal bars on the front windshield. Is that something we would need? Or are these windows thicker? I'm interested in doing front window and maybe quarters. With the door windows will they still be able to roll up and down?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
From what I read it seems like those bars would only be needed if you decided to exceed 150mph?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
OPTIC_ARMOR

Drives: gmc sierra
NASCAR actually mandates the bracing for crash safety. They utilize a 1/4" window which is much more rigid of course than the 3/16" that we recommend for most street and drag applications. But there truely is no need to go any thicker than 3/16" for 95% of the vehicles out there. However with that said if you are running in a sanctioning body that requires 1/4" such as some road race organizations we can accommodate you.
OPTIC_ARMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #32
OPTIC_ARMOR

Drives: gmc sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Ok it looks like there's a clarification for the price of the drop-in black windows as I was just informed by Optic Armor.

Here's the link he sent me:

http://opticarmorwindows.com/FAQ.html

I'm trying to find out if the price of $500 is for both front and rear together or for each window.

I'll let you know soon as I find out.
the price is per window, thanks again guys!
OPTIC_ARMOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIC_ARMOR View Post
the price is per window, thanks again guys!
Thanks for the clarification!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Bump for anyone who hasn't seen this. We're almost halfway there! Even if you just replace the front windshield, that's going to lower the overall vehicle weight, pulls weight from the front area, helps reduce body roll around corners, and 250x stronger than the factory windshield means no worrying about rock dings cracking your windshield!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #35
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Put me down
Old 06-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #36
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would like to do the fronts and quarter panels only which I think are all glued on, however I don't know anyone who knows how to install these, maybe the dealership can? I mean theyre smart for a dealership I must admit but they haven't done anything like this either.

What if im interested in taking the car to 200mph, if this is stronger than the factory glass it should be no problem, even if its just glued on?

HELP lol.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #37
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
I would like to do the fronts and quarter panels only which I think are all glued on, however I don't know anyone who knows how to install these, maybe the dealership can? I mean theyre smart for a dealership I must admit but they haven't done anything like this either.

What if im interested in taking the car to 200mph, if this is stronger than the factory glass it should be no problem, even if its just glued on?

HELP lol.
The dealership should be able to either do the install or refer you to their glass shop and they can do it.

Optic Armor recommends bolting the windshield for speeds as high as you're going. They have pics on their website.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Has anyone looked into contacting their insurance to get an allowance to replace the front windshield? Mine is beat to hell and I'm considering the swap for that reason alone, that and I'm addicted to weight loss...

-edit- I'm going to answer my own question - reached out to State Farm to see their response. If we can get them to pay for legitimate claims and apply the $ to the Optic Armor we may get a ton more people on this.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Has anyone looked into contacting their insurance to get an allowance to replace the front windshield? Mine is beat to hell and I'm considering the swap for that reason alone, that and I'm addicted to weight loss...

-edit- I'm going to answer my own question - reached out to State Farm to see their response. If we can get them to pay for legitimate claims and apply the $ to the Optic Armor we may get a ton more people on this.
But then people will have to "magically" all need new windshields around the same time
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
But then people will have to "magically" all need new windshields around the same time
Hence my statement of 'legitimate' claims. I'm not looking to scam my insurance company, just play within the rules and get the return on the insurance premiums that I pay. They may not allow it for only pitted windshields, however you never know unless you ask.

P.S. Sorry for your loss, saw it in your thread when it happened =/
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #41
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
Hence my statement of 'legitimate' claims. I'm not looking to scam my insurance company, just play within the rules and get the return on the insurance premiums that I pay. They may not allow it for only pitted windshields, however you never know unless you ask.

P.S. Sorry for your loss, saw it in your thread when it happened =/
They do allow it for pitted windshields, it's called a sand damage claim. Happens where I live all the time. I was considering going through my insurance but why when I will have to pay the deductible which is the same price as the windshield.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #42
diamondmike

Drives: 2SS/RS
are the front windows blacked at the edges?

7.83 @ 172 and 1.15 60ft 5th gen
4.93@143
diamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote