Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
IndianaSPEED

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS Yellow
Camaro V6 2LS: On a Budget.. how to add a more aggressive sound?

Hey guys and gals. I just started up an account here a few minutes ago. I bought my 2012 Camaro V6 2LS in February of 2012 and love the car a lot. Unfortunately I have a couple of gripes. (1) The Heritage Wheels are steel, heavy, and the gray trim is cheap looking. (2) The exhaust sound is decently low at any speed. I will be getting new wheels soon and I am looking at increasing the sound of the vehicle.

Any recommendations on what I should? I am on a very tight budget and want something that keeps the car in a "stock" condition with very limited modification. Someone told me that I should consider a Flowmaster 40 series muffler which will give the car a more aggressive sound. Would I need to purchase two of them? Any advice on what shop I should go to in order for them to be installed?

I am not mechanically smart when it comes to cars... :/

Thanks for reading!
IndianaSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
MRT-V1!.. or mrt-v2 if you want sound thats cheap thats the way to go. its a axle back system. system is like 470 shipped and another 80-100 for a shop to install/weld.

as far as rims you can look around here for a good deal. buy used if you can. or just plasti dip the ones you have and if you like the look get them powder coated
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Do a muffler delete but add a Magnaflow resonated Xpipe to clean up the raw raspy sound.

Resonated xpipe is under $100 usually and a muffler delete is basically free plus the cost of a pipe and install.

If you do the muffler delete, go with 2.5" or 3" pipes after the xpipe to give a much deeper sound.

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
The cheapest you can do, is replace youre stock mufflers with SS mufflers (must be LS3), most people throw them away, so you would only pay installation.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Yea but the SS mufflers sound RASPY on a little 6.. Not good IMO.
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I just installed the MRT V2 on my 2012 1LT convertible. At first I was concerned with the drone around 2000 RPMs but in the last week it has toned down quite a bit. Since you have a coupe the Dyno Max VT seem to be a good choice. But both will give you a more aggressive sound while accelerating through the gears.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
IndianaSPEED

Thanks for the replies. I looked into Muffler Delete and I liked the price but didn't like that it may be technically "illegal" for me to not have a muffler here in Florida. I was considering switching the LS to an SS Muffler but don't know if it will sound good. The MRT2 exhaust system is tempting but a bit over my budget. Any opinion on a Flowmaster muffler or something else similar? Performance increase isn't too important for me on a cheap exhaust/muffler mod. I do plan on installing a CAI intake system to the car in the near future though...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Dynomax Bullet $100 + install :biggrin1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2TZ1vqElHS8
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
If you want to stay really cheap...I'm guessing less than a few hundred dollars..well then really your only choice is a muffler delete, and then replace your H-pipe with a Magnaflow resonated X pipe (it is actually a muffler with the internals in the shape of an X so you won't be without a muffer). I doubt it is illegal to run without a muffler...maybe so but I'm guessing they meant it is illegal to run without the catalytic converters.

The part number for the Magnaflow X is 11386. Find yourself some decent exhaust tips and you may be able to stay in around $200 to $250 with installation.

It will be much louder than stock, but the resonated X will control the rasp, and help with in-cabin drone. You will not want to do the delete without the resonated X.

Past that, if the sound is too much then you'll want to add mufflers at the rear, which will put you in the $400+ range by the time you count parts and labor. At that price range, you could just consider setups like the MRT 2.0, Dynomax, Flowmaster American Thunder, and maybe a few others. The flowmaster seems to have a good tone in low and mid rpms, but also seems very raspy when you stab the throttle or upper rpms.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
IndianaSPEED

^Thank you for the reply. I am really starting to lean on this idea. What kind of shop can do this (Pep Boys, Midas, and etc...) and do I have to order the X pipe and any other parts beforehand?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I'd just wait & save for what I want if I were you. I love my Borla axle back exhaust. It is reasonable as exaust systems go. Send a PM to Apex Chase. He is great at talking to your about what you want for your build & your budget & getting you the right product at a great price. And unbeatable service. Just IMHO Here is a professional quality video of my exhaust.
#!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Do the muffler delete w/the magnaflow x-pipe you will get a decent amount of drone. But it eliminates 95% of the rasp. Like stated above the magna x-pipe is a muffler and will meet the muffler law so deleting your rear mufflers won't cause an inspection failure at any shop thats worth two cents and as stated some states it's the converters some you need both i know in NH no mufflers no passy luckily glasspacks qualify as mufflers before i got the x-pipe. Did hafta argue with the dealership for a few about it though.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
While removing the mufflers may not technically against the law you need to be careful of the loudness, some areas have sound ordinances that you could violate if your exhaust is too loud. A frien of mine and I was out one day and he took off kind off aggressively but not so much as tho spin the tires , well a cop heard the car and we got pulled over. He just got a fix it ticket. But if he had not put mufflers on it in 30 days that fix it ticket would have then been a $200 fine...
Just be careful and most of all before making any mods check your local laws.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Those dynomax bullets don't sound bad at All. I wonder what it would sound like with the magnaflow resonated x-pipe.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote