Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Chantelle_0666
2014_2SS_RS

Drives: 2014_2SS_RS
Excessive Oil Consumption Problem/Unhelpful Dealership/Warranty Issues

Last spring I bought a brand new 2014 Camaro 2SS. Before the first oil change my "low oil" indicator came on, I took it to the dealership and it was down roughly 3 liters of oil. The dealership thought it might have came low from the factory, leading me to believe they didn't do a proper inspection and delivery.

The oil consumption problem has persisted, my Camaro has gone through roughly 9 liters of oil in the 15,000 KM (1 liter per 1,600km) it has been driven. So far the dealer has inspected it and cannot find any leaks/problems with my motor. They have now switched my oil to full synthetic (which will not do anything) and want to continue "monitoring"my oil consumption (until the warranty runs out no doubt). I have now made a formal complaint to GM and they are investigating.

My cousin bought a new 2014 Stingray last spring which also had oil consumption problems (not as bad as mine) and it was determined to be "within spec" by GM's engineers and they wouldn't do anything for him.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone had success in having a situation like this rectified?

Chantelle_0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
What we see are several things. One, if LS3, the valley cover baffle may not have been bonded properly during assembly and sucks oil right in around the edges. TSB on this so warranty should cover.

If L99, then driverside valve cover baffle as well, but that is rare.

Most though come down to driving easy (babying) during break-in and that does not allow the rings to properly seat due to the factory oil fill being M1. You only get that first few hundred miles to accomplish proper seating, or ring/cylinder wall "wear in".(TSB's on this as well if you search) If babied, odds are the rings never seated during this brief window and once the cylinder wall glaze sets in, the rings cannot seat further so excess blow-by and oil consumption are the result. We if determined that the oil consumption is excessive (more than 1 qt every 1000 miles depending on country your in) then we tear down and install new rings. Personally I always cut the glaze and re-hone, but GM will not reimburse for this as so many techs do not understand how to do so properly and if cut to deep, then it is another issue. (Only takes a few minutes so I do it to ensure good seating) You as a consumer, get a totally different guide to engine break-in than we as techs get so this is among the #1 issues we see under warranty (and timing chain stretch on the 3.0 and 3.6L V6's).

We are NOT to discuss this with customers though and are instructed to only say "We haven't been made aware of any issues" so keep on them politely. There is NO reason these engines, or any new engines should consume oil like this.

Also, the AFM allows more oil mist inside the crankcase and that contributes as well.

Do a search here for the APEX thread on engine break-in to see the instruction page that comes with every replacement/crate engine to see how to properly break the engine in and avoid this in the future. I have yet to see one use oil after breaking in properly. Good luck!!
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
I just got the August issue of consumer reports and was surprised to see them rip the Germans ( audi, bmw, porsche, merc ) and subaru for excessive oil consumption in late model vehicles. Good article.

Also a couple of reviews of the new mustang and the challenger.

p.s. save the hate for CR. I read a lot of different reviews. the more the better.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
OP is your car auto or standard as that determines which engine you have. Mine is the auto L99 and I've gone up to 9000 km with virtually none used other than maybe a half liter.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
speedygonzales

Drives: 99 z71, 2012 2SS
If it is not an external leak, it is either an internal or consumption problem. Either way, there could be evidence of the issue. Either oil going into the coolant or into the intake tract and eventually into the combustion chamber.

Checking the coolant for traces is one thing to look at. Using a scope to visually check the intake is another. Looking at the plugs is another.

If the consumption is slow, the evidence may not show on the plugs. While it sounds like your consumption is high, from a spark plug stand point it may still be too low a rate to show up. But it's always good practice to look.

You should have a 5 year 100K powertrain warranty in addition to the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty. Engine problems would be covered under both.

Fix your garage pics so we can see them
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
What's a liter?
Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #7
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
What's a liter?
A liter of Cola, Farva!
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #8
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
A liter of Cola, Farva!

3 liters is a lot of oil then!
Old 07-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Chantelle_0666
2014_2SS_RS

Drives: 2014_2SS_RS
1 Liter is roughly 1 Gallon. So far they are continuing to "monitor" the problem. This weekend I had smoke start blowing through my air conditioning vents and they cant seem to trace this problem either. Getting pretty fed up.

Chantelle_0666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantelle_0666 View Post
1 Liter is roughly 1 Gallon. So far they are continuing to "monitor" the problem. This weekend I had smoke start blowing through my air conditioning vents and they cant seem to trace this problem either. Getting pretty fed up.
no no no- a liter is NOT a gallon- it's about a quart.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Yup a liter is slightly less than a quart... OP give us some more info on your car.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
issue, oil consumption, problem, warranty