Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
Baron3600

Drives: 2018 HBM Camaro 1SS A8 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodah View Post
Just mainly people who have driven both and how much more power they can actually feel in the v8 vs the v6. Cost isnt that huge of a factor.
Both engines are great. I own a v6 and have driven a few different SS's, manual LS3 and auto L99. Yes the power difference is noticeable. My v6 is a quick car, but it does not compare to the brute force torque the SS makes when you hammer it. And being you own a v8 Charger, you will probably notice the low end torque difference.
Baron3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
tbis

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodah View Post
I test drove a '10 LT and it seemed to lag a little from the time I pushed down on the gas to the actual start to really feel the movement.

I barely have to touch my R/T and its allready moving so I'm wondering if thats the diffrence.
A lot of us put in ported throttle bodies for that reason. Mine is good now. When we had a Jeep Grand Cherokee a srt8 had perfect response maybe Chrysler's makes better throttle bodies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

[SIZE="100"]
tbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
do yourself a favor and get the 1LE. it's twice the car. with all the options i got on my 1ss i could have just got the 1LE package and been much happier... sigh

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
TSW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT Coup
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTool View Post
I look at it like this. In the near future my wife is going to buy a Chevy Equinox. So does she want the V6 or the 4 banger. Just like a Camaro, let's say there's a heavy person in the passenger seat, maybe someone in the back and some stuff in the trunk, the temp outside is 95 and the A/C is blasting and your going up a hill. I want to be able to accelerate and feel it. So it's a V8 in the Camaro and a V6 in the Equinox. Gotta have the big engine. If you have the funds, get the big power.
You DO see the contradiction in your statement right? The Camaro V6 has more power and less weight to carry loaded than the v6 Equinox, yet you say you get the V6 in the Equinox for power ! lol I know what you meant though, just funny to read it.
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Sodah

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTrunkMusic View Post
do yourself a favor and get the 1LE. it's twice the car. with all the options i got on my 1ss i could have just got the 1LE package and been much happier... sigh
I notice on your sig you got the dual exhaust, how do you like that? I always uncheck it in my 10000 diffrent builds/colors/options on the chevy site because I planned to get a borla S-Type or ATAK.
Sodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostnkost View Post
+1

Installed CAI and TB and what a huge difference! That is enough speed for me as well with NY stop and go traffic although it is always fun to punch it when I get on 495.
How much did you pay for the CAI and TB? Did you do it yourself or go to a shop?
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #21
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
You DO see the contradiction in your statement right? The Camaro V6 has more power and less weight to carry loaded than the v6 Equinox, yet you say you get the V6 in the Equinox for power ! lol I know what you meant though, just funny to read it.
I didn't think much about it as you can tell. LOL. Yah, I just meant that I do not want to be irritated and mad at myself when my vehicle is not getting with it, because I bought the small engine.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
If you can afford to 1LE/RS an d the extra gas is no big deal then go for it!

If the car is a daily driver like mine the V6 is a great way to go. I bought my '13 last November and I already have 22K on her.

Although I'm switching jobs and now my V6 will be in the garage. Think of picking up and ZL1 12 or 13 as a trade in!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Traded my '12 LS for a '10 SS and I daily drive mine every day. Was worth the extra $$ in gas. I get ~3mpg less on average. 16.5 vs 19.5
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
it all depends on purpose for which you will use car, your budget, and what you just want in the long run. If funds were not an issue to me, i would getl= a vette convertible looand be done with it. however, money is. i am looking a 2 LT vert and coupe, both 13 and 14's. i am 55, and looking for fun transportation, within a budget and a daily driver in midwest. the speed limit here in kansas city on interstates is either 65 or 70, of which the v6 will go to. there is no place here i could use 400 plus hp legally, unless i took it to the kansas speedway racetrack here, which i wont do. i wont be drag racing anyone either. so, the ss to me is overkill. i have test driven both v6 and 8, and yes, the 8 hauls ass, of which it should for 400 plus hp. but, it depends on what you plan to do. if you are going to track the car, and race, then you would be silly to get a v6 for that. the v8 makes more sense then.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
Never drove the v6 but I know there's no better feeling then the power of the SS. You deffinetly won't regret it. I daily drive mine

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #26
Firebird2xc

Drives: car
I'm driving my 6 cylinder RS and love this hell out of it. It's not just pure power that makes a car, mind you. That extra money you could drop on the SS pays for a LOT of things like Dynamat, muffler/catback kits, intake kits, catch cans, booming stereo upgrades, etc.

I've fired up a V8 before and the roar was impressive, but between the sticker, the pump toll, and the insurance, plus the cash I had left over for mods, the V6 was an easy choice. Would I have gone SS if money was no object? Probably. But the V6 I've got is giving the most bang for the buck out of any V6 pony car out there- and I drove the competition.

If you really wanna know- drive the V8 and the V6. Then consider options. Then ask yourself how often you're really going to be able to kick it hard and just fly.
Firebird2xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #27
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Ive driven them all. Pre Delivery Inspections are sometimes a perk when it's a load of Camaros that comes in.
There is a definite power and handling difference between the V6 and the V8. I personally would not recommend the V6. The V6 does give you a nice little thrill behind the wheel especially in Camaro and CTS but if power and handling is something you really want it will lack in comparison to the SS and the 1LE. Also the 3.6 lt. V6 is used across many of the GM lineup and though it does give a good amount of power for a V6 engine, I have seen too many issues with the engine that would keep me away from it. At around 30K miles and up we see a lot of leaking front covers, leaking water pumps, and timing chain tensioners and guides that need replacing with this engine.
The LS3 V8 though is a whole nother ball game. It will put you back against the seat properly and fill your ears with the sweet sound of heaven. And the 1LE suspension package will give you the much desired handling to go along with it. You will not be disappointed with either the SS or the 1LE. (There is also the option of adding certain parts of the 1LE to a regular SS through GM accessories now to.)
If you have the means to do it then go for it. Better to be happy and buy the car you really truly want than to settle for something less and find yourself wishing you had done it differently.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
SCHMIZE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Let me put it this way, the v8 will be cheaper in the long run...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2