Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
ALLT4

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
Why do people even ask this type of question, it's a purely personal decision. If the 6 cylinder had 400 HP and was 5 grand cheaper I would still have bought the V8. Others maybe not.
ALLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #16
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
True..........some like DD and some like A . Does not mean the guy who likes C is settling for less.

Last edited by OUR72GTO; 08-18-2009 at 01:48 AM.
OUR72GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #17
lostinvt
Serial #589!

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS
Definitely a personal preference....
I went with a 6 for a few reasons...
First was cost....
Second is I like the toys and gadgets....so I would have rather gotten my 2LT with all of the goodies than a 1 SS and find myself wishing I had the gadgets I enjoy.....
The power that the 6 has is definitely impressive...I've had vettes and a RAM SRT-10 with the Viper drivetrain....and I can say that, yea, it's not a 505 HP viper engine, but it's no slouch...and for daily driving, who really needs the power?
Yea, I wish I had the V8 rumble....but I'm happy with my car!
lostinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
V8=Torque. My L99 was running like a V6 until GM worked on it. Night and day difference. My car now pushes me back in the seat all the time. Nice to have that feeling when you hit the gas.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #19
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
I'd go for the 8 cylinder. You can always add goodies as time/budget allows (minus the RS package, but I prefer the classic look anyway).
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
...I could afford an 8, but with the 6 I still get a car that I'm completely in love with, and I'll be saving myself extra money which is going to come in handy!!
kudos to you my friend.... gahh :upset:... Must... have .... DISPLACEMENT!

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #21
2010 CAMARO SS RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
i had the same problem but i decided to go with the v8. you will be much happier with it than a v6. if decide v6, just remember an audi a8 might wanna race and lets just say you will be very embarrased
2010 CAMARO SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #22
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Most guys on this board will never take their car to a track, so the 'track power' thing of a V8 is BS. Several will not likely keep their car as a collector item, so the long term value thing is BS for those owners. Many simply want to say they have 426 HP and talk of being pushed back in their seat from a light like it makes their manhood gargantuan.

If you truly plan to keep the SS for the long term, maybe hand down to family members (kids, etc.), I'd say go with the V8 cause long term it should be a collector's item and I believe it will increase in value over time, but as a daily driver that value may not actually keep up with that value.

If you plan to race it, well why buy a new car like this and beat on it at the track rather than have it for a street car and have a track car for hobby. If you like impressing the HS kids, scream away from every street light with 426 HP and spend your hard earned money on impressing people that'd only give you the time of day because you have a V8 SS, get the V8.

If you want a great value for the money that will not disappoint you with power, but will get the occasional HS kid saying 'oh, it's a V6', get an LS or LT.

It comes down to maturity and/or investment. The SS will be a car for the ages while the LS and LT's, although will be a valuable car long term as well because they are the 'return of the Camaro', will likely not grow in value as the SS.

There are many operational benefits in having the V6 and as stated here, you get an awesome car that as you pointed out, can have all the 'bells and whistles' with the money saved from buying an SS that you may squeeze into for the extra cost. If you were to get a loaded SS and hold it for a while, that car will probably become a decent investment AND a fun car at the same time.

Personally, I had a V8 Hemi Magnum AWD and the V6 LT does not disappoint me at all in comparison ... and the Magnum was no slouch, but I was'nt driving around town looking for a street race regularly either.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]

Last edited by calflan; 08-18-2009 at 09:05 AM.
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #23
GOLDDOG

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
I recommend the V6. Plenty of power for what I needed it for, back and forth to work. Though that extra horsepower and 0 to 60 time really pays off when your racing from one stop light to another. This whole idea of racing people on public streets pisses me off!!!!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #24
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
Most guys on this board will never take their car to a track, so the 'track power' thing of a V8 is BS. Several will not likely keep their car as a collector item, so the long term value thing is BS for those owners. Many simply want to say they have 426 HP and talk of being pushed back in their seat from a light like it makes their manhood gargantuan.

If you truly plan to keep the SS for the long term, maybe hand down to family members (kids, etc.), I'd say go with the V8 cause long term it should be a collector's item and I believe it will increase in value over time, but as a daily driver that value may not actually keep up with that value.

If you plan to race it, well why buy a new car like this and beat on it at the track rather than have it for a street car and have a track car for hobby. If you like impressing the HS kids, scream away from every street light with 426 HP and spend your hard earned money on impressing people that'd only give you the time of day because you have a V8 SS, get the V8.

If you want a great value for the money that will not disappoint you with power, but will get the occasional HS kid saying 'oh, it's a V6', get an LS or LT.

It comes down to maturity and/or investment. The SS will be a car for the ages while the LS and LT's, although will be a valuable car long term as well because they are the 'return of the Camaro', will likely not grow in value as the SS.

There are many operational benefits in having the V6 and as stated here, you get an awesome car that as you pointed out, can have all the 'bells and whistles' with the money saved from buying an SS that you may squeeze into for the extra cost. If you were to get a loaded SS and hold it for a while, that car will probably become a decent investment AND a fun car at the same time.

With an SS you get to say 'I have a 426 HP car' that may get you a beer occasionally at the local pub and make all the HS girls think you're the Sh** !!... but you'll still be turning heads and loving your car in a V6.

Personally, I had a V8 Hemi Magnum AWD and the V6 LT does not disappoint me at all in comparison ... and the Magnum was no slouch, but I was'nt driving around town looking for a street race regularly either.
Were you trying to impress those HS girls too? Way to go out on a limb and insult the entire V8 owning world.

Anyway like I've said before the V6 is a much bigger improvement over previous generations than the SS as far as performance is concerned.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #25
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Apologies GT, suppose I'm striking back at those that downplay the V6 so much.

I really don't appreciate further dividing the 2 groups.

Have never seen such disention between same model car owners as between SS and LT's on this board. In previous Camaro clubs I've been a member, there was very rarely confrontations between model owners. Can't think of a time when I ever saw this with 2nd gen owners club.

Understood I am clearly not helping the sutuation with previous post.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #26
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
Apologies GT, suppose I'm striking back at those that downplay the V6 so much.

I really don't appreciate further dividing the 2 groups.

Have never seen such disention between same model car owners as between SS and LT's on this board. In previous Camaro clubs I've been a member, there was very rarely confrontations between model owners. Can't think of a time when I ever saw this with 2nd gen owners club.

Understood I am clearly not helping the sutuation with previous post.
NP, I understand where you are coming from I have had my 1996 3.8L (which I love too) since 2002, so trust me I know. Unfortunately I posted about this a long time ago here and people dismissed it by saying the 3.6L V6 is a totally different animal than the old 3.8L. Although this is true, some things never change and many people will always have their close minded bias about a V6 in a Camaro. Just ignore and enjoy the car.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Get the V-8! I'm glad I did.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
lostinvt
Serial #589!

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS
Wow...I didnt realize that this is going to turn to divided!
Personally I totally agree with calflan, but it's personal preference.
Do you NEED the V8? Unless you're going to race, no.

But then again, do you NEED a camaro?

It's what's important to you. Both powerplants are more than adequate for cruising around on the highway and around town....
lostinvt is offline   Reply With Quote