Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #29
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
cops rarely ever "don't show up to court". At least here in VA every cop schedules all the people he gives tickets to for one day and he just sits there all day as the people he ticketed come in a single file line waiting for the judge to take points and pass fines...lol gotta love the pigs.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #30
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
You should be fine

It is a small enough ticket that you could do it yourself without having to pay the Lawyer fees.

Years ago I got nailed for 91 in a 55. Hired a Lawyer, paid him $300, had to do 20 hours community service and still had to pay a $400 ticket the day of court.
So I paid a total of $700 with a Lawyer but kept it off my record.

Not so long ago I got clocked at 104 in a 70. I called the prosecuting attorney and met with him. We agreed after an extremely long lecture that If I did 40 hours of community service He would knock it down to a loud muffler to keep it off My record. Did my service and appeared in court. I got fined $470 and wrote them a check.

So I saved money avoiding the Lawyer fees. And I have slowed down after the last one. Its just not worth it.

And yes, the cop was not at court on either time. I will say that you better have everything worked out with whomever before you appear before the Judge. The last case He wanted to throw me in jail but He said because I had done the community service He would let it slide?
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #31
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Well it sucks I was coming back from the Sealy Camaro event here in Texas which was about 2.5 hour drive from where I am. I was about 15 mins from my house and I got nailed by a cop. I was on a highway I've never been before and I had no idea what the speed limit was (it was about 12:30AM and I was the only person on the highway), similar high ways in the area are usually 70mph and sometimes 65 at night. I was going 74 in what apparently was a 60. I've never fought a speeding ticket before so I don't really know if I should do it or not. All I know is that if the cop doesn't show up they'll waive the ticket, but I don't know what else there is that goes into fighting a ticket. If anyone has advice please let me know.
Forgive me for not reading everyone else's posts first. But, if I may.

1. I'm an officer. No, I didn't write you the ticket (nor do I like to write tickets).
2. You can request a trial by Judge or jury and set a date. If the officer does not show, your ticket is dismissed. This happens every once in a while. But...not often. If the officer has to go in to court during his off time, he'll get paid extra. So, unlikely he'll miss it.
3. Fighting the ticket out right won't work. This is not meant to be disrespectful, but the Judge will say, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse." In other words, "I didn't know it was 60mph" won't fly in court. Just because it's not posted doesn't mean you can go 100mph either. So, ... that's what they will say.

Or you can do a drivers safety course or ask for probation.

I hope that helps you (from someone who has probably gotten more tickets that given.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
My 2 cents based on experience: if you have the time to burn and it's not going to cost you a vacation day from work, go to court and hope the cop doesn't show up. If he does, tell the judge you were hoping the cop wouldn't show up because you're in a tough financial position right now and really can't afford a ticket. Politely ask if he'll reduce the fine and let you go to traffic school so it doesn't show up on your record. That's probably all you can do at that point.

One last thing - make sure he filled out the ticket correctly. If he made any mistakes (e.g. wrong highway number, color of the car wrong, etc) the ticket is invalid - at least that's how it works in CA.

Good luck.
Duper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #33
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

^True
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #34
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duper View Post

One last thing - make sure he filled out the ticket correctly. If he made any mistakes (e.g. wrong highway number, color of the car wrong, etc) the ticket is invalid - at least that's how it works in CA.

Good luck.
I'm looking at my ticket and it doesn't have my vehicle's license plate written on it anywhere.

In the vehicle license section it says:
Year-2010
State-TX
Number- and it's blank..

That's the only possible mistake on the ticket. I feel like he should have written my license plate number on it, right?

Also the only traffic lawyer cost $175 and that's just to get a plea bargin. Advice? Thoughts? I'm thinking of going to the court house tomorrow and seeing what my options are.

Last edited by BaylorCamaro; 11-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #35
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
It can't hurt to know your options. Good luck

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #36
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Go into the court and show the prosecutor the missing plate. Be nice. Be respectful. Let them know that you've been informed that incomplete tickets have been dismissed due to failing to prove all the elements. That you were driving...on this day...in THIS VEHICLE...at this location...at these speeds. If you are missing THIS vehicle, how can they prove it? I might be off here, but this stuff happens all the time. In my area, I can fix my hard copy of the ticket before turning it in. That is the copy that matters. But, you can give it a shot.