Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 05-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Jamey

Drives: Blue 1969 w/ 850 hp 540
MSD ignition run on

I just installed a 6AL and pro billet distributor on my 69 Camaro. It has the original style alternator with the external regulator. The car continues to run on after the key has been shut off. I’ve been through the install guide and the trouble shooting steps. I put the diode in right where the appropriate wire comes out of the alternator. Then it will shut off, but the indicator lamp in the car stays lit, regardless of the engine RPM, and the voltage meter in the cars stays only at about 12 volts at idle and 12.5 volts at higher RPM. It’s typically a couple volts higher than that. I’ve used a meter on the connections on either end of the diode. There isn’t much current downstream of the diode. I’ve verified that it’s installed in the correct position/direction. I’ve also replaced the diode with a ballast resistor (two post style). With the ballast resistor, the car won’t shut off again. The only thing I can think of is that I’m not installing the diode in the correct location?

I really need some help here. I’m about ready to chuck the whole thing. I’ve wasted my entire weekend on this.
Jamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
By continues to run do you mean its like you did not turn off the switch? Or does it cough sputter and half assed run for a few seconds? Verify that you are using switched 12 volt power to the unit controls. Check your timing carefully if you pulled the existing distributor and replaced it. One tooth off will cause you fits!
Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #3
Jamey

No, I mean it continues to run like the key is on. I turned it off and waited 2 minutes and it showed no sign off shutting down. It isn't sputtering or dieseling, it's running. The timing is correct. I've checked it a couple of times.

I understand that this is a common problem on older cars. I've followed the troubleshooting recommendations w/ no success so far.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
First thing is to make sure that the 12v thats is supposed to be switched is indeed going to 0 volts when the key is off. Thats about the only thing that will keep it running like you describle. It takes fuel and fire to make the engine run, remove just one of them and she's dead as a hammer.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #5
Jamey

The switched power source is the lead that previously went to the positive side of the coil. It goes dead when the key is off. The issue is that the 6AL is connected directly to the battery, and apparently there is a very small amount of current that feeds the alternator indicator lamp inside the car that is enough to keep the box firing.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
And you did install the diode inline from terminal 4 of the voltage regulator out to the charging indicator lamp?
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Jamey

No I didn't. The wiring diagram in the technical data doesn't show exactly where to put it, just says between the alternator and the light. I put it right outside the alternator and that didn't work.

If you've had to do this, how do you connect the diode? Maybe I'm thick here, but I really expected to find something in the package of stuff w/ the MSD box with wire ends that I could just splice in w/ butt connectors.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Jamey

No, I did not. The wiring diagram from MSD leaves a lot to be desired. I know which wire coming out of the alternator would let it shut off when I tured the key off, so I pout the diode into that line, right outside of the alternator.

If you've done this before, how do you splice in the diode? Solder it? Anywhere in the wire that comes out from pin 4?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Jamey

Here's the solution. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images