Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #57
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
I will be picking up a 2013 manual in a couple months and this thread makes me a little disappointed. I'm hoping it can be tuned out, but a tune is not something I want to do anytime soon. :(
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #58
cbass

Drives: .
Can anyone with the hill assist make a video showing how it works?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #59

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
I will be picking up a 2013 manual in a couple months and this thread makes me a little disappointed. I'm hoping it can be tuned out, but a tune is not something I want to do anytime soon. :(
I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix anytime soon...GM will no doubt ingnore this just like they have the octane table/fuse pull issue for the last 3 years or so...

Get an after-market tune out for something to work the way it should, and there goes your warranty...Also this hill assist may have too many liability issues for any after-market tuners to want to mess with...my $.02
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #60
ShowSStopper
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS Black Coupe
I'm thinking I wouldn't like it. Much like skipshift, it throws a wrench in the gears and makes you think too much instead of just enjoying the car. Too many assists and driving starts to feel like work.
ShowSStopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #61
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix anytime soon...GM will no doubt ingnore this just like they have the octane table/fuse pull issue for the last 3 years or so...
I don't see how GM can ignore it. I wouldn't have purchased the car if I had encountered the HSA on a test drive. This won't be good for sales when people hear about it, and more importantly experience it first hand on a test drive.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #62
2qwik2katch

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post

I agree. I have been on this site for a while lurking around and my order for my 2013 is almost going to ship. I hope it is not as bad as everyone says it is. I have always driven a manual but from what I am reading even the pros are stalling because of it.
2qwik2katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
I don't see how GM can ignore it. I wouldn't have purchased the car if I had encountered the HSA on a test drive. This won't be good for sales when people hear about it, and more importantly experience it first hand on a test drive.
Maybe then the only thing I would suggest is you guys taking your cars back and start raising hell with the dealers..."I stall out every time on a hill!!...WTF???...This isn't hill assist...It's automatic hill stall-out!!!!"....
Old 09-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #64
nash

Drives: 2LT Manual 2013 White Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
A step back in my opinion. I've only had the car three days but I do NOT like this feature. I haven't stalled a manual car on a hill in over 20 years, but I've stalled this one half a dozen times. If anyone can figure out how to turn this feature off I'd love to know.
I'm with you, I hate this feature. I know how to drive stick on a damn hill. The brake stays engaged after I'm giving it gas - just totally crazy.

Cest la vie, I'll have to adapt I suppose
nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #65
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Could be wishful thinking, but maybe they thought ahead and have the hill assist with it's own fuse so a simple fuse pull would disable it?

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #66
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
"The brakes will automatically release when the accelerator pedal is applied within the two-second window. "

That is from the owner's manual. Sounds like they need recalibrate it if it's not actally releasing at the touch of the throttle. But then I don't see how it would work if it did release then. When you first rev the motor, your going to roll back into the car behind you if your not quick on the clutch.

Please shit can this feature for '14/'15 when I may be getting my next one.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #67
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
I was riding with a friend in his 2013 M6 SS....from a stop sign on a steep hill...the "assist" held the car back as we tried to pull away...killed the car.
I've had the same issue here several times now and getting very annoid by it. After owning the car for a month I am ready to trade it off. The Corvettes don't have this feature so why did Goober Motors put it on the ZL1? The delay takes too long to disengage.

Gosh Dang Fire.............
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #68

Just a thought...Maybe the key to working around it is what makes it come on in the first place?...A gyro-scope? A level?...Does it sense rolling backwards while in gear, then applies? Maybe the way around it is if possible, never come to a complete stop, or if you do, be in nuetral?....
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #69
horrido

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I've got a 2013 1LS. Been driving manuals my whole life, so I know how to take off on a hill. I'm not sure what people are talking about with this two second thing. I've got a stop light on a hill on my way to work, so I know how this operates. If I take off perfectly, I don't even know the brake assist is there. In fact, it wasn't until my second week owning the car that I realized it even had one. I only realized it was a feature one day when I didn't notice the normal slight roll back you get if you are engaging casually.
horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #70
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
I hate the hill assist. It caused me to stall my car twice while trying to pull into my garage. I tried to go and the car wouldn't because the hill assist had activated then when the car was finally ready to move I wasn't and it stalled.

I have figured out how to keep it from engaging though. If you are on hill keep it out of gear and the brake pressed until you are ready to go. For those that are well versed in take offs on hills it should be a piece of cake for you.

Keeping a car from rolling on most hills is easy if you know how far you need to release the clutch for the car to go forward on its own without using the accelerator. Once you understand that when on hill all you have to do is release the clutch to that point and the car won't roll, you won't have to rev it, and won't have to use the brake to keep the car from rolling back when you are ready to take off.

When I'm on hills the only time I've ever used the brake is when I pull it out of gear waiting for a light and when I know the light is about to change I would put it in gear and do what I described above.

Hopefully everything I said makes sense.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote