Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #57
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
I'd take the V10 R8 (given they were the same price) for a few reason's.

1. I think it looks epic. Not overdone or overstated like most super cars, but beautiful and exotic. Neighbor's own a black one and I stop and stare regularly.

2. The V10. I for one, have fallen in love with every noise a V10 makes.

3. It's mid engined, which will make the steering more evenly weighted and should make the car feel more nimble.

4. It's AWD. You can drive it in the rain.

5. It's an Audi R8 and it's nice as shit. Have you ever sat in one of those things? Everything that isn't leather is suede (including the roof), and I for one happen to love their interiors.

That said, if I was big into racing (I'd like to be, but I haven't gotten into that much) or if I was a world class driver like some of the members here, I'd op for the ZR1.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
I'd take the V10 R8 (given they were the same price) for a few reason's.

1. I think it looks epic. Not overdone or overstated like most super cars, but beautiful and exotic. Neighbor's own a black one and I stop and stare regularly.

2. The V10. I for one, have fallen in love with every noise a V10 makes.

3. It's mid engined, which will make the steering more evenly weighted and should make the car feel more nimble.

4. It's AWD. You can drive it in the rain.

5. It's an Audi R8 and it's nice as shit. Have you ever sat in one of those things? Everything that isn't leather is suede (including the roof), and I for one happen to love their interiors.

That said, if I was big into racing (I'd like to be, but I haven't gotten into that much) or if I was a world class driver like some of the members here, I'd op for the ZR1.
They're not really close. I don't know what the UK prices are like but the US price has the R8 5.2 at an extra 40 grand before any options. The V8 on the other hand is about the same as a ZR1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #59
returnofcc
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 VW GTI
Ok, thought I should throw another opinion in.
As none of you will be surprised by, I would take the r8, and here is why.
First of all, exterior looks wise, as somebody noted, I don't want my care to be mistaken for a regular corvette. Sure, the r8 5.2 looks like the r8 4.2, but that's still a 100k+ car, not a 45k car.
Second of all, interior wise, there is no competition. The r8 is better hands down.
Performance wise, the r8 is awd, easier to drive, and while it is a little slower, it handles better.
The zr1 wins in straight line racing. Yet, as people have noted time and time again, if my sole purpose was straight line, there are cheaper and faster ways to get a 12 second car (with modding of course).
I think the two appeal to two different crowds. The zr1 appeals to the muscle car enthusiasts, the audi appeals to the european/exotic crowd.
returnofcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #60
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAntonius View Post
Every time there's a thread on Top Gear, it's the same old crap.

Here's a Top Gear Top Tip for everyone here:

Top Gear is not a serious car show. It is an entertainment show where the props happen to be cars.

Clarkson says stuff for entertainment value. He makes fun of all nationalities (seriously, stop foaming at the mouth cause he made fun of America, laugh a little, and listen long enough to hear him make a World War 2 joke about a German car). Hell, he makes fun of British cars ("assembled by a couple of blokes from melted down toilet seats in a shed in Yorkshire"). He makes fun of stereotypes because it's freaking funny.

Clarkson declared the ZR1 car of the year...he does NOT hate that car. He is well on the record of liking the Viper as well. And the Ford GT, despite it not liking him back.

R8
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This thread makes me chuckle....
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #62
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
They're not really close. I don't know what the UK prices are like but the US price has the R8 5.2 at an extra 40 grand before any options. The V8 on the other hand is about the same as a ZR1.
Yep, which is why i included that. In the real world I'd buy the ZR1, and save my 60k or w/e it is.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #63
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This thread makes me chuckle....
you are welcome!
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #64
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Adding on to returnofcc's post, the ZR1 appeals to the ones who like a better performer.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #65
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
"That said, if I was big into racing (I'd like to be, but I haven't gotten into that much) or if I was a world class driver like some of the members here, I'd op for the ZR1."

Thank you...... Ah thank you very much. 'preciate it. Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #66
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'll take the money saved on the ZR1 and buy a normal Vette, Camaro, or maybe CTS-V for the daily driver
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #67
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
lets totaly be honest here folks there no ways any of us joe blows will get in a zr1 and think when can drive it properly even in a straight line. were talken 630hp RWD. wheel spin is deadly in that car. seriously clarkson has probly driven every car out there and he fails at driving the ZR1. the stig on the other had was able to tame it and run a faster time than the audi.
any of us if we had the oporunity to drive both cars after taken both for a spin im almost positive that the R8 would be ur choice as its much more controlled and easier to drive + it looks soo much sexier than the vette.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #68
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoked View Post
lets totaly be honest here folks there no ways any of us joe blows will get in a zr1 and think when can drive it properly even in a straight line. were talken 630hp RWD. wheel spin is deadly in that car. seriously clarkson has probly driven every car out there and he fails at driving the ZR1. the stig on the other had was able to tame it and run a faster time than the audi.
any of us if we had the oporunity to drive both cars after taken both for a spin im almost positive that the R8 would be ur choice as its much more controlled and easier to drive + it looks soo much sexier than the vette.
Just did some research, not sure if the 2009 had anything like this butt...
Quote:
The main upgrade is a new traction control system that uses what Chevy calls Performance Traction Management (PTM). Essentially this works like a typical traction control system, limiting power delivery, except that it can do so right up to the maximum amount of grip available and without the driver having to modulate the throttle. Instead the PTM system handles that. When exiting a corner, the driver just needs to mash his right foot on the throttle and the car takes care of the rest.
(source)

Sounds easy enough. The GM engineers were listening to the feedback from across the pond (and everywhere else) apparently.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #69
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
But we could learn. Learning how to drive a 630 HP monster would be more rewarding...
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #70
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Some of us consider the ability to make the rear tires spin a selling point.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote