Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #29
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
I attended the BBOMG/CAMARO NATIONALS in Oshawa during the weekend of June 10-12, and GM was scheduled to make a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT on the Saturday.

I was hoping this was going to be the anticipated news, that many of us here, were waiting for. Well, it NEVER HAPPENED!
Their big news was the ZL1 coming to Canada & the introduction of an optional auto transmission...BIIIIIIIG DEAL that's old news.

Once again GM is laging well behind the competition, and will have to catch up, IF they choose to ever bring back the Z28. I thought it was the most opportune time to release such an announcement, with Transformers 3 debuting next week.
They had the Z28 movie car at the show, I guess that was to show what we're NOT getting (see pic below) .

They still haven't even released the final HP & price on the ZL1 and it goes into production in Q1 of 2012. My prediction is they're going to over price themselves to the competion, as history has dictated.

Oh well, I guess it's time to start playing around with my SS, and do some tasteful & minor mods (cosmetically & mechanically), to make mine more enjoyable...if it's even possible, to enjoy it more than I do now.

GM, KEEP AN EYE IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR, YOU MIGHT SEE THE BOSS 302 COMING UP REAL QUICK AND PASSING YOU!

Attachment 254240
GM isn't going to talk about an upcoming model until the one currently in the pipeline is out. There was pretty much no talk about the 'vert until the coupe was out. And until they came out with the vert, they kept quiet about the ZL1. After the ZL1, then they'll get onto the Z28 or whatever else is next
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I don't know why people are holding out for a car that will be basically an SS with a track package. There obviously won't be any drastic weight loss I mean look at the Boss 302 it weighs more than the GT. They're not going to put an LS9 engine in it like some people have stated they expect. They obviously are not going to make the Z28 overshadow the ZL1 like so many on this forum are desiring.
I don't think anyone thinks the Z28 will better the ZL1 in every way. The main thing that people want out of the Z28 is handling
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
You have actual evidence to back this claim up?

I was actually speaking based on what the New Boss 302 is. There are engine enhancements and a bunch of suspension enhancements and it still weighs nearly 100 lb more than a GT. Everyone is expecting this incredibly lightweight Camaro, saying it the Z28 has to lose at least 400lb, with this generation of Camaro I'm just saying don't hold your breath. I want nothing more than all you guys/gals that want a Z28 to get one but I just don't see it happening with this body design. Hopefully the 6th Gen Camaro will be more of an evolution as well as a step backwards, in the weight department, so that you can all have the Z28. That all being said if Pdaft can get a Camaro hitting 1.3 G, then GM should have no problem making a Z28. I just don't see it happening at this point in time. Also I think it would be a lot more fitting to bring the Z28 back with at 5.0 L V8 as per heritage.
Those that say they expect a 3400 lb Z28 are usually shot down pretty quick by everyone else. Dropping 200 lbs is the max that most find to be reasonable and plenty of people still consider that ambitious. Besides, I bet many would probably be fine if it weighed just as much as an SS as long as it delivered the handling expected of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
No evidence of ZL1 having 750hp, GM announced 550hp, and then later said it would have more than 550hp. All, yet to be seen.
I'm with the OP; Interested in hearing about the Z/28 (if there will be one).
Technically ... they originally said '550+' and now say 'more than the CTS-V, so '556+'
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Personally i dont understand all of the hype on the Boss. I was at a show and someone pulled up in one. The guy next to me jumped up and was like saying how fast it was. But when he mentioned 444hp, i was shocked. A Camaro SS with headers, exhaust, Cai and a tune could beat that. Assuming they mean at the crank and not the wheels.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
Personally i dont understand all of the hype on the Boss. I was at a show and someone pulled up in one. The guy next to me jumped up and was like saying how fast it was. But when he mentioned 444hp, i was shocked. A Camaro SS with headers, exhaust, Cai and a tune could beat that. Assuming they mean at the crank and not the wheels.

Neither the Boss nor the Z28 are about hp
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Yea i understand that but if im correct the boss is still solid axle...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #33
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
You did know the auto ZL1 was the big announcement right??
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #34
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Yep, and from what I understand it doesn't really hurt things too much on a nice smooth race track.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #35
Txmxracer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Did you know that the ZR1 is on leaf springs? Those do not hurt the performance of that car too much!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #36
SSRSLY
Lady Racer

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Their big news was the ZL1 coming to Canada & the introduction of an optional auto transmission...BIIIIIIIG DEAL that's old news.

Once again GM is laging well behind the competition,
Lagging behind? Putting an auto in the ZL1 puts them ahead of the manual-only optioned GT500; it opens up an entirely new market of people who can't or don't want to drive a manual, but still want the baddest car available. Waiting this late to formally and officially announce it just means they get at least one model year before Ford can try to engineer an auto option for the Shelby, assuming they weren't already working on one due to rumors.

Quote:
An IRS does not magically make a good handling car. It's more about suspension geometry and spring rates; a properly set up live axle can handle just as well as an IRS, and be stronger in a straight line.

2014 Ford F150 Tremor
2012 Shelby GT500
SSRSLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #37
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRSLY View Post
Lagging behind? Putting an auto in the ZL1 puts them ahead of the manual-only optioned GT500; it opens up an entirely new market of people who can't or don't want to drive a manual, but still want the baddest car available. Waiting this late to formally and officially announce it just means they get at least one model year before Ford can try to engineer an auto option for the Shelby, assuming they weren't already working on one due to rumors.

An IRS does not magically make a good handling car. It's more about suspension geometry and spring rates; a properly set up live axle can handle just as well as an IRS, and be stronger in a straight line.

Yes
Yes
No
Yes
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #38
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmxracer View Post
Did you know that the ZR1 is on leaf springs? Those do not hurt the performance of that car too much!
It's still an IRS
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #39
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:

Look at the #'s it's huge bang for the buck. But gimme a Z28!!!