Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 05-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
shinedaddy

Drives: 1969 Firebird now, 1969 Camaro soon
New to Camaros, so advice needed on this 1969 beauty for pricing?!?

Hello all
First post here
I have recently fallen in love with the 1969 Camaro. I have a 1969 Pontiac Firebird but I want a Camaro now. I really like the hockey puck stripes, and the old style headlights. I foudn one I really want but I dont know how much it is worth honestly. A little about the car...it is in REALLY great shape, was a near total restoration on what was needed but a lot of it is original, most of it is actually. Less than 30,000 miles, numbers matching. Original engine. interior is sweet, all mechanical parts excellent. i mean this thing is nearly perfect in every way.

I am including a picture so you can see what I am thinking about. What do you think it is worth in todays market?

If you want more info please ask away, and thanks a lot for any help

I figured this is the place for a Camaro expert, right?
Attached Images

shinedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
A good start would be to go on E-bay.
There's dozens of '69 Camaros for sale there. Check those asking / selling prices.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
1954 Belair-man

Drives: 2010 Camaro IOM 1SS M6
Nice Camaro looks clean from the picture. Hard to give you a value amount from just a picture there's many other factors to take into account. Take it to someone in your area that knows these cars and they should be able to give you a good reasonal value. Good-luck
1954 Belair-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
shinedaddy

yeah I have been studying ebay. It seems a nice 1969 can go for anywhere from 25-40k. This man is asking $48 but might go down to $45 and MAYBE a little lower.

I was thinking $35k would be fair, judging from what I see on ebay. I figure someone buying there already knows what they are worth and what they SHOULD be paying.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
@ 35K I would assume this is listed as maybe a numbers matching or a true SS car.

I would have the numbers verified by a professional -- it's a small price to pay if you are unfamilliar with what to look for.

The car will be worth more and hold it's value if it comes with documentation like the original sales receipt and protecto plate.
Keep in mind that clones can be made so the VIN and trim codes alone are never enough to verify its a 100% true SS.

I am only telling you this because I know of a couple of people that found out only after that they should have $$paid more attention to the details. Often times 2nd 3rd or 4th owners have no idea that they have a clone. Unless the owner has the documentation it's always going to be a question no matter what!

Cyrus
Old 05-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsadryheat79 View Post
@ 35K I would assume this is listed as maybe a numbers matching or a true SS car.

I would have the numbers verified by a professional -- it's a small price to pay if you are unfamilliar with what to look for.

The car will be worth more and hold it's value if it comes with documentation like the original sales receipt and protecto plate.
Keep in mind that clones can be made so the VIN and trim codes alone are never enough to verify its a 100% true SS.

I am only telling you this because I know of a couple of people that found out only after that they should have $$paid more attention to the details. Often times 2nd 3rd or 4th owners have no idea that they have a clone. Unless the owner has the documentation it's always going to be a question no matter what!

Cyrus
The documentation can be forged so it's best to get the car checked out by a professional.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
shinedaddy

assuming it is a true numbers matching car, is it worth $40K? $45? I am looking for a solid number because I have t make an offer if I want it.

I have been checkign ebay and the range seems to be about $24-35K.

what do some of you think?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
69s are fetching a premium right now in part because most of the cars have been restored or "pro-toured". The latter can fetch more than a resto.
And the date coded castings are getting harder to find.

What people are asking and what they take are two different things.

I saw a really nice SS 350 AC car.....14K original miles unrestored (rust. tears, dings) go for $45K.....as unrestored cars are easier to authenticate......bolts....casting dates...etc.

On a restored car you have to put your own value on it.....It is expensive to restore a car.....$30K+ but everything is being forged these days.
So beware.....
-Blocks can being restamped (date codes can't)
-Trim tags can be drilled and forged
-Build sheets can be forged as can protecto-plates

That really nice looking SS could have easily started life as a straight 6.....you have to be a real expert to distinguish....then its just an opinion.
Because when you do a frame-off resto and take the body down to the metal.....you can build anything you want....you just need to know the recipe.

So....on a restored car you have to put your own value on it.

The SS in the picture looks very meticulously retored.....almost too much....bias tires, rally wheels, fresh matador red paint, so shiny you can see the Bently reflection...I would need to see the interior and engine comp...but whoever restored it shoved at least $30K into it........the AM/FM stereos in operational condition are $800 alone. You couldn't build that car for $25K, so that would be a good price.

I buy and sell the 1st gens and I wouldn't ever drive one on the road.....I think they drive like sh*t.......

A 2010 drives much better and the AC and stereo work better too.

Good Luck.

Last edited by speedmon; 06-01-2012 at 12:57 AM.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I've bought 1st gens online before. They came with original pics like that one asking $30k+. from those pics they were worth it.

Once I had them send me detail pics of the wiring and certain areas with the cars on lifts, that are always suspect, I wouldn't give them ten grand. I have ruled out dozens of cars just from detail pics

Here's a good bit of advice for you. Anyone that gives you a value of a car just by looking at a couple of pics like that, doesn't know how to buy a classic car

One more thing.... Those are hockey STICK stripes, not hockey PUCK stripes.. LOL!!! good luck in your search

This is a great Camaro forum, but not for first gen info. Head over to the team camaro forum for a much stronger knowledge base on the older cars
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeast Rod Run View Post
Head over to the team camaro forum for a much stronger knowledge base on the older cars
Is that camaros.net?
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
yup or even go over to camaroforums.com
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Go to this site and look it up.

http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/makes.html
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote