Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Exclamation Had the "snot" scared out of me today...

So, today I am driving across town to an appointment, and as I obsessively do with my ride, I glance at the four pack of gauges expecting to see the usual.

However, when I look down, I see the oil pressure is practically ZERO, and I am pretty sure my blood pressure was the opposite at that point. I quickly checked the engine temp gauge, and thankfully it was at about a third, so no immediate danger.

Luckily, I was near my dealer, so I was able to pull into the service bay within five minutes. Shut her down, popped the hood, pulled the dipstick-- a bit of vapor/smoke here, and my heart still going faster than the car usually does.

The service manager is a friend, so he came out and had me start her up, and... the gauge pack was completely dead. There, thankfully, was plenty of Mobil One in the engine and no danger there, but the gauge cluster is kaput.

I kind of felt a bit the fool at this point, but like many here, I love my ride, so no regrets.

To get to the point... (Sorry), does anyone have the fuse location for the cluster or another idea why it could fail? I like to be prepared when I bring her in, and my searches here haven't been fruitful.

Thanks to all,

Jason

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know. But I can only imagine your relief when you figured out it was some minor electrical issue. Whew.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Macfolk
J.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I don't know. But I can only imagine your relief when you figured out it was some minor electrical issue. Whew.

Seriously so. The idea of that amazing 6.2 seizing is a nightmare I never wish to see.

Love this car!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
There should also be an indicator (idiot) light in the dash as well. I don't trust the gauge cluster so I check fluids regularly.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
not sure what date you purchased the car or mileage, but shouldnt this be covered by the warantee?

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
Macfolk
J.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
not sure what date you purchased the car or mileage, but shouldnt this be covered by the warantee?
It is, but I prefer to know as much as possible myself. The service guys are good, and my rep in particular excellent, but it's still my ride and my responsibility.

Thanks,

Jason

Love this car!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
The Manuel is your friend, just pull the fuse and put it back in. Happen to me not long after I bought it, when I got home I located the fuse, pulled it put it back in haven't had an issue since..

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster

Drives: 02 Hyundai Santa Fe and 13 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
The Manuel is your friend, just pull the fuse and put it back in. Happen to me not long after I bought it, when I got home I located the fuse, pulled it put it back in haven't had an issue since..

I think he asked where it was located.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Sword5

Drives: 2010 2SS
Good thing it was only the snot scared out of you and not the ****.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
I would have been in full panic mode and shut it down immediately. Glad you don't have a serious issue!
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfolk View Post
... I kind of felt a bit the fool at this point...
Hell no... a fool would fail to check gauges, or would just keep driving, or would blow it off. A wise driver checks that stuff out, ASAP, to make SURE that it's nothing catastrophic... you did it correctly, no fool there!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
djb525

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS M6 Black
Mine stopped responding once. Un-plugged it, started the car, then turned it off. Plugged it back in, started the car again and it fired right back up. Pop the whole cluster up starting near the cup holder and slowly work your way back, theres one harness under it.