Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I highly doubt GM will let the 5th gen end without some kind of Z/28 Camaro being built. In my opinion, it would be a massive failure. The Z/28 is one of the, if not the most iconic Camaro trims of all time. It may have lost its way over the years but GM the 5th gen is the resurrection and that can't be complete without the Z/28. They never should have waited to bring it out. It should have been built before the ZL1.

I agree. They won't let a generation go by without a Z28. The ZL1 was timed well. They had to compete with the GT500.

My concern is the same as many of yours, between the few to be built (due to time left) and a high demand for the Z28 we will be price gouged by the dealers.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
This just in...

I've just received a communique' from a highly-reliable source within the Team that a ZEE will NOT arrive until AFTER start of production of the Gen-6 commences in Lansing...

Reason given?

If they built a Gen-5 version in Oshawa, they would be obligated by CAW rules, Canadian culture and language to call it a ZED...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I agree. They won't let a generation go by without a Z28. The ZL1 was timed well. They had to compete with the GT500.

My concern is the same as many of yours, between the few to be built (due to time left) and a high demand for the Z28 we will be price gouged by the dealers.
The mark up will be insane, you can guarantee it.

Yes, the GT500 needed a competitor but so did the BOSS 302 yet none came from GM. Sure, the 1LE can run with the BOSS but its not the same as a Z/28 would be.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
This just in...

I've just received a communique' from a highly-reliable source within the Team that a ZEE will NOT arrive until AFTER start of production of the Gen-6 commences in Lansing...

Reason given?

If they built a Gen-5 version in Oshawa, they would be obligated by CAW rules, Canadian culture and language to call it a ZED...

I never thought of that before haha
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

I never thought of that before haha
He got me good at first.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...lets center and simmer a bit......, Z/28, the way we have specified...is too cost prohibitive, its in direct competition with the ZL1, and GM does not have the marketing cohones to do it...plain and simple...aintgonnahappen.gov...., a LTD ED, yes, bells and whistles a blazing, easier to hit the pick 6 than get an allocation, but not a RPO that we seek....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...lets center and simmer a bit......, Z/28, the way we have specified...is too cost prohibitive, its in direct competition with the ZL1, and GM does not have the marketing cohones to do it...plain and simple...aintgonnahappen.gov...., a LTD ED, yes, bells and whistles a blazing, easier to hit the pick 6 than get an allocation, but not a RPO that we seek....
That very well may be true but then why not say something. Why not say the Z/28 is dead for the 5th gen, instead of "stay tuned". If they won't use Corvette engines, then at least modify the base Camaro engine for more power. With the next gen small block coming out, like we have both said, there is a lack of engines to power the Camaro. Anything they will develop is going into the Vette first. So either the 6th gen Camaro will lack high performance versions or wait for years to do it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.
I put the price at $52,999 base. That engine is way expensive and with additional drivetrain upgrades it's going to be costly.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
OldScoolCamaro

..by poking around there is enough written out there to conclude they will put a LS7 in a Camaro before the model change. They did the vert LS7 M6 Vette. That was a special deal, even though the LS7 came with the ZO6. So, question is, will it be named the vaunted Z....as it's been speculated....? No. I feel it will come with a Pedders upgrade over the 1LE package, and get some usual marketing makeup to go with it like the other one off's produced in conjunction with this line. Its gonna be a 1G ++ track screamer and street beater, and limited in allocation. Just sayin...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Bhobbs

Quote:
..by poking around there is enough written out there to conclude they will put a LS7 in a Camaro before the model change. They did the vert LS7 M6 Vette. That was a special deal, even though the LS7 came with the ZO6. So, question is, will it be named the vaunted Z....as it's been speculated....? No. I feel it will come with a Pedders upgrade over the 1LE package, and get some usual marketing makeup to go with it like the other one off's produced in conjunction with this line. Its gonna be a 1G ++ track screamer and street beater, and limited in allocation. Just sayin...
The more I think about it, the more I think this is the likely outcome. I doubt we will see our Z/28 any time soon. It will be a few years into the 6th gen probably, if they build it at all.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
OldScoolCamaro

....but I think we will know by the New York Show (end of March/beginning April) if we get it this year.....last minute announcements, like the C7....January announcement for Q3 ordering, hey by the way the ZL1 was officialy announced on the same day in the calender year as the C7 Vette..
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #26
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I think it will be a Z. I'm reading the tea leaves from good sources. Of course, there are no guarantees.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #27
OldScoolCamaro

...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
...but of course, there are no guarantees in anything.... But for the life of me, I see no fortune in GM making any decision that would include a Z/28 along with the ZL1 in the same lineup....somebody's gotta go...especially going into 2016 with a LT1 and LT4 option. Once the C7, and CTS announces powerplants we will get a little clearer insight. I see contraction, rather than expansion.
Then why build a ZR1 and a Z06 for the Corvette which is a niche vehicle produced in much lower numbers than the Camaro?
As the 5Gen Camaro ages and its main competitor offers a new generation GM needs to "build" excitement for the 5Gen not throw in the towel.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote