Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Topher5000

Drives: Yellow 2SS/RS
Missed shifts with A6

When I bought my SS 3 months ago, the shifting could be quite jerky, but it smoothed out after a week or two. I usually drive in M but let the trans shift. I called the dealership & told them that I'm not worried about it, but I'd like something in my file.
Several times now, I've had the trans not shift up if I drive it relatively aggressively. I don't speed, but I do like to get up to speed quickly. I don't go fast enough to spin the tires, or even get close to spinning them though. When this happens, I have to either shift to D or use the tap shift.
Lately I've been driving in D. Yesterday, I came to a stop sign, & when I went to go, the car just revved up & didn't move. I put it in park & then back in D & it was fine. I may have been able to shift to M & then back to D to fix it too. Next weekend's a long weekend up here, so I'll wait until after to take it to the dealership.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just curious as to what it could be & how long it would take to fix it.
Also, with a new car with 3000km on it, is it reasonable to want a new trans put in? I know they're not cheap & I'll be happy with it being repaired, but I can't shake the feeling of going to a discount store & buying a refurbed TV, if you know what I mean.
Topher5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5000 View Post
When I bought my SS 3 months ago, the shifting could be quite jerky, but it smoothed out after a week or two. I usually drive in M but let the trans shift. I called the dealership & told them that I'm not worried about it, but I'd like something in my file.
Several times now, I've had the trans not shift up if I drive it relatively aggressively. I don't speed, but I do like to get up to speed quickly. I don't go fast enough to spin the tires, or even get close to spinning them though. When this happens, I have to either shift to D or use the tap shift.
Lately I've been driving in D. Yesterday, I came to a stop sign, & when I went to go, the car just revved up & didn't move. I put it in park & then back in D & it was fine. I may have been able to shift to M & then back to D to fix it too. Next weekend's a long weekend up here, so I'll wait until after to take it to the dealership.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm just curious as to what it could be & how long it would take to fix it.
Also, with a new car with 3000km on it, is it reasonable to want a new trans put in? I know they're not cheap & I'll be happy with it being repaired, but I can't shake the feeling of going to a discount store & buying a refurbed TV, if you know what I mean.
It happened to me once in 'S' mode. Early morning, cold car, heavy acceleration in first and thought it was never going to shift to second. Stayed at 4K for longer than I expected. Finally, shifted.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Normal. Those are the characteristics of the 6L80.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Topher5000

Is it not moving from a stop in D normal too?
I'll still take in to the dealership & have it checked out anyways. Can't hurt & at least something will be on file if I have problems later.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If your car is staying in a gear for a while (after letting up on the gas) before it decides to upshift, its very common for the A6s.

It usually happens when you mash the gas for a quick burst (short time) and then let off. The tranmission tends to stay in the lower gear at a higher rpm for a while before it decides to make the upshift. Sometimes it can take a long time (many seconds). But usually if you just go back to giving the car gas (lightly) the tranmission will go ahead and make the upshift.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
In "S" mode it does that to me now and then and I tracked it to accidentally bumping the right hand shift paddle which puts it on M mode. Once I shift to D then back to S again it seems fine.

Now, there could be other causes, but in my case it seems to just be accidental.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Topher5000

Thanks for the info guys. I won't worry about it then. I'm pretty sure it only happens when I mash the gas for a short time.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
Ok I give up. What is "S" mode? And how do I activate it?
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 20112SS View Post
Ok I give up. What is "S" mode? And how do I activate it?
Automatic transmission cars have D for drive and M for manual mode. If you don't touch the button shifters on the steering wheel in M mode, it will change gears just like D does, only more aggressively. This is referred to as Sport mode. As soon as you hit a button, it goes into manual mode.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing

Last edited by bi11ymc; 07-27-2010 at 07:20 PM.
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Put the car to M and do not touch the shift buttons on the back of the wheel, that is SPORT Mode. The cars will hold a gear longer up to 1 minute depend on throttle postions and car movements. Prime example is going around a corner and giving it gas. After straightning out it will hold the gear for a while ready for you to romp on it again.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
In "S" mode it does that to me now and then and I tracked it to accidentally bumping the right hand shift paddle which puts it on M mode. Once I shift to D then back to S again it seems fine.

Now, there could be other causes, but in my case it seems to just be accidental.
you do know you don't have to shift into D and back to S to get it to go from manual to sport? You can just press and hold the right shift button on the steering wheel for a few seconds and it will go back into S mode from M mode.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2019 C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Put the car to M and do not touch the shift buttons on the back of the wheel, that is SPORT Mode. The cars will hold a gear longer up to 1 minute depend on throttle postions and car movements. Prime example is going around a corner and giving it gas. After straightning out it will hold the gear for a while ready for you to romp on it again.
Cool! Thanks for the info. I though I had a typo because I was looking for an S. I only have M
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal 20112SS View Post
Cool! Thanks for the info. I though I had a typo because I was looking for an S. I only have M
actually the S will show in your DIC where it shows D when you are in Drive and M+gear selected you are in when in Manual. the lower left corner of the DIC beside the Odometer
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
you do know you don't have to shift into D and back to S to get it to go from manual to sport? You can just press and hold the right shift button on the steering wheel for a few seconds and it will go back into S mode from M mode.
Oh jeez, here we go again. That's only for later VINS or cars with a new flash. Mine (#12768) won't do that.