Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #29
shuukazedojo

Drives: 98 Chevy Camaro Z28
I think it would be awesome if GM came out with some of the alternative fuel engines in the Camaro. Naturally, they'll have to do some more R&D on making it perform up to standard, buthow cool would it be for GM to make a Hydrogen powered CAMARO??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even a Flex-fuel or something! They have the technology. I mean, they have these engines in Silverados, why couldn't that eventually be translated to the Camaro?

I don't think it's reasonable to expect anything like that in the first few years of the 5th Gen, but maybe soon after?!?

What do you guys think about something like that?

And, BTW, I agree that 30mpg is an awesome target to shoot for with a 400hp+ gasoline powered engine! I would be thrilled!!!!!!!
shuukazedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 AM   #30
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
Guess DerScotsman will be the first to sign up for the Berlinetta model Camaro with a small V6 and great mileage. LOL. Maybe GM will surprise everyone and make that a hybrid model to boot.
LDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #31
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
Think most of GM has gone Flex-Fuel, I don't see why they wouldn't in the Camaro. Could be another bragging right of theres, see first sports car to use alt-fuel. As far as gas mileage in a sports car? I'm not buying it for that, if it has it okey a bonus.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiablo View Post
Guess DerScotsman will be the first to sign up for the Berlinetta model Camaro with a small V6 and great mileage. LOL. Maybe GM will surprise everyone and make that a hybrid model to boot.
What relates Berlinetta to gas sipping V6?

I had an '82 Berlinetta that was a V8 as my first car.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #33
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
LOL - the Berlinetta was sold as such a high touch car I always associated it as the opposite of the SS and Z28s. I know, I know, a little unfair, but it's all in fun.

My buddy's '74 LT -- which from what I can tell was the equivalent of the Berlinetta, depending on year since it was the "Lusso Turismo" or luxury touring model -- had a V8 and would scream. So again - it's in jest. Something though has to be the powder puff of the lineup and the SS and Z28s won't get that designation. Any other suggestions?
LDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I already poked fun at you about this, didn't I EllwynX?
Berlinetta was (as far as I could tell) the "base V8"...I'm not positive, I've never had too much to do with Berlinetta.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #35
EllwynX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I already poked fun at you about this, didn't I EllwynX?
Berlinetta was (as far as I could tell) the "base V8"...I'm not positive, I've never had too much to do with Berlinetta.
I remember. heh And I don't take the least bit of offense.

BUT, if the V8 in the Berlinetta was the 'base V8' that puts it as the equivelant of the 'base V8' Z28 in 2009.

Sooo... A 2009 Z28 would deserve just as much joking teasing as the Berlinetta did/does.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #36
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
Think most of GM has gone Flex-Fuel, I don't see why they wouldn't in the Camaro. Could be another bragging right of theres, see first sports car to use alt-fuel. As far as gas mileage in a sports car? I'm not buying it for that, if it has it okey a bonus.
If the car is tuned to run exclusively on ethanol, then it'll make very good power. The equivalent octane in pure ethanol is something like 105. Worse fuel mileage, though
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 AM   #37
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllwynX View Post
I remember. heh And I don't take the least bit of offense.

BUT, if the V8 in the Berlinetta was the 'base V8' that puts it as the equivelant of the 'base V8' Z28 in 2009.

Sooo... A 2009 Z28 would deserve just as much joking teasing as the Berlinetta did/does.
There were lots more options back then.
Anybody makes fun of my Z, I'm going to burn the rubber off of my tires and onto thier faces...Then I'll ask 'em if it's funny anymore. Of course, that was a joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
If the car is tuned to run exclusively on ethanol, then it'll make very good power. The equivalent octane in pure ethanol is something like 105. Worse fuel mileage, though
Yeah, that's the only downside. But I'm sure if an engine was designed around ethanol rather than catered to it, we'd see better fuel mileage. But I do like how a greener fuel is capable of more power.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #38
EllwynX

Quote:
There were lots more options back then.
Anybody makes fun of my Z, I'm going to burn the rubber off of my tires and onto thier faces...Then I'll ask 'em if it's funny anymore. Of course, that was a joke...
A quick search turned up info that there were 2 V8 engines in 1982.

The 145hp 5.0 that was the Base V8 in the Berlinetta and Z28.

And a 165hp 5.0 that was an uplevel Z28 option.

So, by all comparisons. In 1982 a Berlinetta was the equivelant (for it's time) of the Z28 in the 4th Gen, and whatever the base V8 is in the 5th Gen.

And the '82 Z28 was equivelent (for it's time) to a 4th Gen SS/5th Gen Uplevel V8.

I'm not being argumentative. LOL I'm just trying to understand the mentality some have regarding the Berlinetta, when it was, in 1982, equivelent to a 2002 Z28. Which, by no means, get's frowned on.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #39
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
The Berlinetta and the Z28 may both be the "entry level" V8 cars, but I don't consider the Z28 as a continuation of the Berlinetta. The Berlinetta was supposed to be a luxury option for the Camaro. A sort of GT. The Z28 was never supposed to be a grand tourer, just the base V8 car. They may occupy the same position in the Camaro hierarchy, but they have different mission profiles.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #40
Mr. Wyndham

Sure, I have nothing against Berlinetta, nothing at all. But any magazine articles, or old advertisements I see for Berlinetta had a woman in it. They marketed it to be the "ladies version"; power - with comfort. That's the only "perception" I have when I read about it, or see it. Either way - or however you look at it - it's still a Camaro. So who cares.

But I do admire you researching into what people thought about it. +1
Old 08-01-2007, 07:59 AM   #41
EllwynX

Quote:
Sure, I have nothing against Berlinetta, nothing at all. But any magazine articles, or old advertisements I see for Berlinetta had a woman in it. They marketed it to be the "ladies version"; power - with comfort. That's the only "perception" I have when I read about it, or see it. Either way - or however you look at it - it's still a Camaro. So who cares.

But I do admire you researching into what people thought about it. +1

If Berlinetta = Power With Comfort, I have to admit, I'd definitely buy a new Berlinetta. LOL I like comfort as much as power.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #42
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
MPG, WHO CARES

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote