Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Ambient Lighting (ABL) development summary

Since the last thread on ABL was bombarded with off-topic posting and locked, I will try to open one last serious thread on the topic.

If you have actual questions about ABL then ask away. If you hate topics about ABL then please just stay out of the thread instead of posting off-topic. Some people are still confused about what ABL could have been, and what it is today.

Quick summary of ABL past:

1. We saw the picture of ABL across the dash and the whole panel on the door as well as we watched the startup video. None of these were real pictures but they inaccurately projected what GM was portraying as ABL.

2. GM announced they were having problems with ABL and was working on it. There was talk they might not have ABL in the car at all.

3. Many people here freaked out.

4. Scott(fbod) came and told us all to calm down and keep the faith; ABL would only be put in if done right. Most people cheered at Scott's presence but some were not sold on words alone. The fighting raged on.

5. GM eventually settled for ABL on just the doors because of a supposed heat problem with the dash. This ended all talk of an ABL refund could they not get it working since they did provide ABL in some form.

6. Some people continued to be angry, some didn't care about ABL to begin with, and some people chose to let it go to not be mad when they got their car. It still looks good the way it turned out but many will admit that ABL across the dash will likely look better when they get it working in future Camaros.

7. ABL will be fully functional someday in the future. It is my hope and some other people's that ABL can be installed on the '10 cars that have only the partial ABL for looks and possibly resell value. Some people will still not care but to each his own.

So there it is. Yes, some people have heard about ABL a billion times over, but some people haven't. What is an old topic for some is a brand new topic for others. Please respect the newer members lack of ABL history and keep posts on topic.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Good post.

I originally thought ABL would be stupid and ricer-ish. Once I saw the pre-pro one from Abu-Dabi, I realized it was actually pretty cool looking. Now that I have my car, I love it. But I do wish it went all the way across. I hope that if/when they do get it all working, they release some sort of kit for us bleeding edgers for a decent fee (e.g. not normal GM parts ridiculous markup) that we can install.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
How about this?

Before we rehash what's already been discussed here, everyone glance through these four threads.

If you have anything new to add then feel free to post here. We will not tollerate any rants or GM bashing on this issue. As you can see there has already been plenty of that.

Thanks,
Chris

Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS

ABL (ambient lighting) limited to the doors only?

Possible no ABL on 1st lot of cars?!?!?

How Many Cancelling Order if no ABL (ambient lighting) ?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
McGruff

^All great topics to check out (those were some angry discussions, probably the most heated on this forum)

Quote:
I hope that if/when they do get it all working, they release some sort of kit for us bleeding edgers for a decent fee (e.g. not normal GM parts ridiculous markup) that we can install.
Crossing my fingers on that. That's basically the only ABL question left on the table since ABL is finished on the '10 cars. For now it's fine the way it is but when they get it fully working on the '11 cars and on I will likely want it.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
steelmart

Drives: Camaro,TA,Syclone,IROC
Any idea when the footwell lighting will be available?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
camaro-brit

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Bumble bee
Apologies if this is repetative for some but as I knew nothing about this until reading it can I ask if this feature is actually fitted at all to the 2SS model at present. Its a nice touch and I would like it when I get mine.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-brit View Post
Apologies if this is repetative for some but as I knew nothing about this until reading it can I ask if this feature is actually fitted at all to the 2SS model at present. Its a nice touch and I would like it when I get mine.
2SS and 2LT all get it.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
Since the last thread on ABL was bombarded with off-topic posting and locked, I will try to open one last serious thread on the topic.

If you have actual questions about ABL then ask away. If you hate topics about ABL then please just stay out of the thread instead of posting off-topic. Some people are still confused about what ABL could have been, and what it is today.

Quick summary of ABL past:

1. We saw the picture of ABL across the dash and the whole panel on the door as well as we watched the startup video. None of these were real pictures but they inaccurately projected what GM was portraying as ABL.

2. GM announced they were having problems with ABL and was working on it. There was talk they might not have ABL in the car at all.

3. Many people here freaked out.

4. Scott(fbod) came and told us all to calm down and keep the faith; ABL would only be put in if done right. Most people cheered at Scott's presence but some were not sold on words alone. The fighting raged on.

5. GM eventually settled for ABL on just the doors because of a supposed heat problem with the dash. This ended all talk of an ABL refund could they not get it working since they did provide ABL in some form.

6. Some people continued to be angry, some didn't care about ABL to begin with, and some people chose to let it go to not be mad when they got their car. It still looks good the way it turned out but many will admit that ABL across the dash will likely look better when they get it working in future Camaros.

7. ABL will be fully functional someday in the future. It is my hope and some other people's that ABL can be installed on the '10 cars that have only the partial ABL for looks and possibly resell value. Some people will still not care but to each his own.

So there it is. Yes, some people have heard about ABL a billion times over, but some people haven't. What is an old topic for some is a brand new topic for others. Please respect the newer members lack of ABL history and keep posts on topic.
This was a great clarification post, but I think it should be noted that #6 is more of a biased opinion than it is a piece of information... I've actually seen quite a few people on here say that the ambient lighting on the doors is perfect, and having it on the dash would be too much.

But aside from that, hopefully this will end the discussion (a.k.a. speculation) while GM works on it and/or provides us with an answer.

Oh yeah, also... it should also be noted that a certain someone on here (not naming names ) mentioned that if/when it gets finished, there is a possibility of a retro-fit option for current cars. This has yet to be announced/confirmed, and it is also unknown as to whether or not this option will be free or cost extra for the upgrade.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Hey if they put it across the dash will just give you another reason to buy a new one, lol I really like it across the dash just wished it was color specific, but I wouldn't trade my car for love nor money. This car is awesome, I might also buy a vert when they come out but will not be getting ride of this car, my son (10) informs everyone that he is letting me borrow his new Camaro, gotta love kids. Sorry to get off topic
Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
walls

Drives: Infiniti G37S, Suzuki B-King
Wouldn't count on a kit from GM. When they put a door lock switch on the 07 GTO, a lot of previous year owners wanted to install it but discovered that they would need to buy a whole new wiring harness to do it.

That's what I recall at least. I don't see why that wouldn't happen again.

EDIT: my only point is installing it might be more money and time than it's worth.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
McGruff

Quote:
I've actually seen quite a few people on here say that the ambient lighting on the doors is perfect, and having it on the dash would be too much.
That is quite possible; there have been times when I have thought having the light on the dash would be distracting.

I only say that because GM's original plan was the ABL on the dash and it was only removed because of technical difficulties. If the original plan was to have the light there, GM must think it looks better on the dash. Maybe I should have said GM will admit the original ABL plans looked better?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by walls View Post
Wouldn't count on a kit from GM. When they put a door lock switch on the 07 GTO, a lot of previous year owners wanted to install it but discovered that they would need to buy a whole new wiring harness to do it.

That's what I recall at least. I don't see why that wouldn't happen again.

EDIT: my only point is installing it might be more money and time than it's worth.
More than likely there are already harness connections there for it, as this was something that was changed at the very last minute.

If it is available I will certainly be upgrading my car to it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I am in the same boat as RogueLeader.

Since the dropping of the Dash ABL, was a last minute situation, I would think perhaps there is a wiring in the dash already to accomodate it.

As soon as a kit comes out! (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!), I am on it.

I love the effect it has on the interior.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
the ABL actually shines through the existing colored trim panel. I took one of my trim panels and looked at the backside of it. It looks like all you need to do is supply light behind the trim somewhere and the abl will show through the section where the colored paint/film was removed.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.

Closed Thread