Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Silver2011SS

Drives: Silver 2011 SS
Self-driving cars.

So I have been watching a lot of news lately about most car makers working on self-driving cars. Recently I saw an interview with someone that said that their goal is to make it so the self-driving cars are 100% safe and have 0 accidents on the road.
A lot of our freedoms have been taken in the name of safety and I am wondering if I am the only one who is paranoid about our nanny government. Do you think that 10 years from now we will be told that it is illegal for a human to drive any car on a public road in the name of safety?
Something to think about.
Silver2011SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2011SS View Post
So I have been watching a lot of news lately about most car makers working on self-driving cars. Recently I saw an interview with someone that said that their goal is to make it so the self-driving cars are 100% safe and have 0 accidents on the road.
A lot of our freedoms have been taken in the name of safety and I am wondering if I am the only one who is paranoid about our nanny government. Do you think that 10 years from now we will be told that it is illegal for a human to drive any car on a public road in the name of safety?
Something to think about.
No. You are over reacting.
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
MyRideIsHere

Drives: 98 z28, 13 LS, 14 SS, 14 ZL1
You're not paranoid if they are REALLY out to get you...
MyRideIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
2 things I will never let the govt take: my right to own a gun and my ability to drive a car. If any of that happened Texas would secede anyway so it doesn't really matter .
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Never happen. It takes 30 years for 90% of the market to update to new technology
Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Electric,hybrid or self driving cars are never going to see my driveway. I really enjoy driving and hearing the sound of a V8 motor. Life has so few pleasures this is one i'm never giving up.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
No. If anything we'll see an autopilot option before a mandate for computerized driving. Technology is not foolproof either considering humans design it.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
I hate all of it! I just can't trust it with my life! And I love driving , not being drove!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
Silver2011SS

Drives: Silver 2011 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrulie View Post
Never happen. It takes 30 years for 90% of the market to update to new technology
Never happen. : Are you sure? Did you ever think 15 years ago that there would be X-ray scanners that would take pictures of you naked on every airport in the name of safety?
It takes 30 years for 90% of the market to update to new technology. : You might be correct on this one. By then I might no longer care but that does not mean that it could not happen.
Silver2011SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Just as you aren't legally required to install modern safety equipment (seat belts, airbags, stability control, etc) on an old car, chances are you aren't going to be legally required to not drive.

On the other hand, I can see insurance companies eventually making it cost prohibitive to drive a 'traditional' car.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
Unrulie

Ok maybe. But not in my lifetime. They can't even make a phone that shuts off while driving if a Bluetooth isn't enabled, Or make a car that don't rust. And where is the Jet pack that they talked about 25 years ago. The government just put down the use of drones for deliveries.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
DGthe3, have you heard of snapshot from progressive? I know, commercial there, but state farm has one too and I'm sure other composites aren't far off. They monitor your driving and adjust insurance rates accordingly. The only car that I have that would qualify is my Camaro and I'm not about to stick that thing on it. My rates would go through the roof! Not that I'm dangerous, but it's a sports car!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
Unrulie

Could you imagine a self driving car in a foot of snow. and how would pothole avoidance work? In Michigan, we have potholes that will swallow a Prius. And what about emergency construction lane closures.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
Unrulie

I could see one lane on certain freeways dedicated to self driving cars