Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
Abygale

Drives: .
You might want to do a little research before driving it. If you have the RS package you'll have the P Zero summer high performance tires. They not only don't play well on snow or ice, they will get very hard when the temperatures are consistently at or below 46 degrees fahrenheit. One site I was reading described it to be as slick as a formica countertop.

From what I read about the subject there are two choices. Replace those tires with all-season or winter tires which may require a wheel change as well, or store the car when the temperature drops to below the mid to lower 40s on a consistent basis.....that's this weekend for me :(

Here's a link to one source: http://www.automedia.com/Summer_Tire...sm20080101ss/1
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Its a POS $30k car. Its not some exotic thats going to be worth something. Its already probably about $3k less than what you paid for it.

I say drive it home in the effing snow...be a man about it. It has stability and traction control. It will be easy to drive. I drove my 98ss all year through everything. Get a nice underneath wash done when the roads clear and call it a day.

Oh and as soon as the salt dries up the streets, beat the living shit out of it. She will love you more for it.

Dont be a pansy about a camaro. Unless you keep under 2,000 miles on it, odds are its not going to be worth spit in a few years. Look at how cheap 4th gen camaros are right now. Then look at C5 corvettes.

Take it out in the snow, do some donuts, some slides, have fun with it.

Or if you want to be safe, you can dig a bunker in your backyard, put a furnace in there to keep your car nice and cozy and some air purifiers and ventalation system and maybe a security guard to make sure its safe.

Oh also when driving around you can get a huge sheet of plexi glass and mount it to the front of your car so no bugs or rocks ever hit it. Forget clear bras. Oh and never park it anywhere but your bunker or it will get messed up. Im living proof of that. Well actually my car is proof of that.

Look bro, I understand you want to keep your car nice. I dont know about you, but I dont have $35k fallout out my bum hole. I drive it like I stole it and I will drive it all year to get every penny I can out of that car. In ten years the trailor trash will be able to afford them again and we are all going to be lumped in with them again. So enjoy it before the meth heads kill it.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Bellringer

Drives: my wife nuts.....

44030 is all mine!

GM
Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Its a POS $30k car.
It's a POS?

I see your point, but I wouldn't drive mine when there's salt on the road. Luckily I don't have to worry about that here.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Its a POS $30k car. Its not some exotic thats going to be worth something. Its already probably about $3k less than what you paid for it.

I say drive it home in the effing snow...be a man about it. It has stability and traction control. It will be easy to drive. I drove my 98ss all year through everything. Get a nice underneath wash done when the roads clear and call it a day.

Oh and as soon as the salt dries up the streets, beat the living shit out of it. She will love you more for it.

Dont be a pansy about a camaro. Unless you keep under 2,000 miles on it, odds are its not going to be worth spit in a few years. Look at how cheap 4th gen camaros are right now. Then look at C5 corvettes.

Or if you want to be safe, you can dig a bunker in your backyard, put a furnace in there to keep your car nice and cozy and some air purifiers and ventalation system and maybe a security guard to make sure its safe.

Oh also when driving around you can get a huge sheet of plexi glass and mount it to the front of your car so no bugs or rocks ever hit it. Forget clear bras. Oh and never park it anywhere but your bunker or it will get messed up. Im living proof of that. Well actually my car is proof of that.

Look bro, I understand you want to keep your car nice. I dont know about you, but I dont have $35k fallout out my bum hole. I drive it like I stole it and I will drive it all year to get every penny I can out of that car. In ten years the trailor trash will be able to afford them again and we are all going to be lumped in with them again. So enjoy it before the meth heads kill it.
You know the same things were said in the 80's about the Camaro's of the 60's and 70's. Look at what any decent 60's Camaro is worth now. And these new cars are far nicer and better than those old ones. If people want to take care of their car there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'd say if those of you who live in cold or snow areas want to drive your cars, just get a set of winter tires or a set of winter rims/tires so you can keep driving your cars. You could go with a 19" rim and a taller profile tire to deal with the snow just for winter.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
HALFFAST

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
lived in Ontario Canada all my life and seen what about 4 or 5 winters worth of salt will do to a car even when you wash it off and think your taking decent care of it. Salt will kill the car no matter what precautions you take. In my case I want to keep this car pristine for myself and not for some resale in 20 + years,not really concerned about that. Sure you can slap tires on it and go place to place without to much of a problem, snow and ice is not the big enemy here. I guarantee you will be sickened by the condition of this car in 5 years or so if you daily drive this in the salt.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
This is the most stylish and BEST car they've built in a Generation. I know, because I watched Chevy lawn dart themselves starting with the 1973 Chevelle, reach the bottom of the trough with the Citation, Chevette, the Beretta. I think even the mullet wearing, mouth breather trailer trash will keep these things looking a lot better out of respect for this car

While the new Camaro may never be a collectors item, I don't think you'll ever see them at $2995 in Autotrader either. I prefer to keep mine nice and corrosion free, its called pride of ownership in reverence to a job finally well done by GM.

Road salt is not the end of the world though, its better than cinders thrown down on the road, you just have to keep after it with regular underbody washing it
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #22
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I know some of you guys got the Camaro fever pretty bad, but why would you order a car when it is gonna arrive in November and you don't want to winter drive it? You should really be ordering in March because it will take about 2 months to get in your grubby paws. And by May (When it would come in if you order in March) it would be on the lot in time for the 2010 clearance promotions that happen a lot (in Canada, at least).

Guaranteed you could at least negotiate a bit better of a price, cause lots of the hype will have worn off.

Now some of you may say "My dealer promised me the car would be in earlier than it is"

Well you all know what we here on C5 have to say about your dealer.

When I ordered my '07 pontiac G5, it took 2 and a half months from the day the order got sent by my salesman to the day I had the keys in my hands. And that was with a car that was being made for 2 years already and had most of the bugs worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #23
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:

Doesn't happen here man. Salt all the time on the roads. Even when there isn't snow in the winter, water based salt goes down to pre-treat the roads. Come up north a ways and see a LOT more winter than you are used to in stl. I can tell you that a 426hp car is NO FUN to drive in snow and ice, winter tires, or not.

It all depends on how long you want to keep your car. If you want to ride it hard and put it away wet, more power to you. Just beat the hell out of thing, you would have a lot of fun doing it. If you want to keep your car for more than 3 to 4 years, then people want to try to take care of it. In the northern salty states that means storing it for the winter.

And you really shouldn't care what other people think of you and your car. It's your car and you picked it for whatever reasons you want. Who gives a damn if in 10 years 5th gens are cheap and everyone will have 1.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
The temperature today is in the low 40's, and my back wheels spun when I was merging into traffic from a left turn. These RS tires really do lose their usual grip when they're chilly. If you do try to take it out when the roads are dry this winter, BE CAREFUL. I would've left my Camaro at home today if I could but the Grand Am is being tempermental and not letting me start it without a 10-minute security reset.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #25
Grimmjow
6th Espada

Drives: 05 Mustang (Screaming Yellow)
Man... all this talk about snow and salt and northern living has me not wanting to move up north to NY with my girlfriend. I live in GA now and winter snow is but only a day. At least that's the way it's been the past few years.

I guess it's good she gave me 2 to 3 years time for me to come up there .. bleh.
Grimmjow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
Abygale

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
The temperature today is in the low 40's, and my back wheels spun when I was merging into traffic from a left turn. These RS tires really do lose their usual grip when they're chilly. If you do try to take it out when the roads are dry this winter, BE CAREFUL. I would've left my Camaro at home today if I could but the Grand Am is being tempermental and not letting me start it without a 10-minute security reset.
Yep, I noticed the same thing today. People really need to be careful....I don't want to see all these people posting in the "Crashed Camaros" thread. These RS summer high performance tires are not meant to be driven in the cold regardless of snow or ice.
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I would love to see some colder weather..... right now we are at 91 with 85% humidity .......
Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I'd say drive it when you have some clear days. I drive my cars all through the winter and get them washed (with underbody spray of course) every time the temp goes above freezing. I have a bottle of touch up paint and make sure that I fill in any holes caused by rocks or whatever. I'm hoping that this will delay rust on the vehicle long enough for me to enjoy it for a decade or two.

I also have a 2001 explorer that I'll drive when the snow really comes and they really salt the roads. Out where I am (rural MN) they don't salt the roads as often as they should but when they do they lay a ton down.

Bottom line is, drive your car and have fun. If it gets all rusted out in 10 years just sell it and buy another one. GM is trying hard to make sure they sell a lot of these Camaros, you'll be able to find them no problem.