Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
mgf7097

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Thumbs down Beware Texas Speed and Performance

I had a friend of mine recently buy a bunch of parts from Texas Speed and Performance to upgrade his C5 Corvette. Among the parts he had bought was a set of long tube headers. When we got the headers they looked to be nice quality and finish. We were completing a cam install and head swap and when we finally were ready to put the O2 sensors in the headers we saw that they hit the bottom tunnel of his car due to the angle the O2 sensor bungs were installed.

One other issue we had was that one of the head bolts we had been installing from them snapped before we hit 22 ft-lbs on the torque wrench. Luckily it didn't snap flush with the block so we were able to get the bolt out. It did mean we had to take the head all the way off again and get a new set of head bolts to reinstall it.

My friend called Texas Speed to complain about the two issues (especially the headers since that stopped us from completing the build) but he did not get any help. From what he told me they basically told him he was out of luck. Since I was not the one who talked to them I can't speak to what they told him or what they may have offered him. All I know is we didn't get any help from them and had to go to a shop to get the O2 sensors put in his cat pipes and will have to plug the O2 sensor locations in the headers.

Just thought this may be helpful for anyone considering them. I know I don't plan on buying anything from them after this experience.
mgf7097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why are you posting on behalf of your friend?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post

Agreed!!

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I guess that's helpful to know as far as vette LTs go, but how's the quality of their LTs for the camaro?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
hogwild87

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
had the same issue on my old c5, all i did was take an air hammer and bend the tunnel brace enough to get some clearance. other car we just did at my work we took an auger bit and cut a big whole in the tunnel brace and routed the o2's that way... just some food for thought. over all i was happy with my tsp headers, they held their finish after a year and weren't too bad fitment wise had to loosen the driver side motor mount and go from the bottom side on my c5. what i had an issue with was having to cut my existing h pipe and use janky connection pipes (that didn't come with band clamps i might add) but i called tsp and they were nice enough to comp me like 25 bucks i think to cover the ones i bought from napa, either way with the connection pipes i could never get my tips leveled again no matter what i did... end of rant
hogwild87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
Sps

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS2/RS 1LE Rally Yellow
1 last time I checked this is a camaro forum
2 complaining on behalf of someone else mmmm
3 I've purchased a number of items from texas speed never had a problem, always very helpful when calling for info or advice
Sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
durbojones

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro, M6, AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
I guess that's helpful to know as far as vette LTs go, but how's the quality of their LTs for the camaro?
I am running their LTs for the Camaro and haven't had an issue. They fit quite well.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
mgf7097

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Wow, I was not expecting this response....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
Agreed!!
My friend has a Vette and is not on this forum so I thought I would just throw this up here since I know they sell Camaro parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
I just posted this as a heads up for others that may consider their products. Their product didn't fit and I thought it may be a helpful to know. If their C5 headers didn't fit then who knows what other products might not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild87 View Post
had the same issue on my old c5, all i did was take an air hammer and bend the tunnel brace enough to get some clearance. other car we just did at my work we took an auger bit and cut a big whole in the tunnel brace and routed the o2's that way... just some food for thought. over all i was happy with my tsp headers, they held their finish after a year and weren't too bad fitment wise had to loosen the driver side motor mount and go from the bottom side on my c5. what i had an issue with was having to cut my existing h pipe and use janky connection pipes (that didn't come with band clamps i might add) but i called tsp and they were nice enough to comp me like 25 bucks i think to cover the ones i bought from napa, either way with the connection pipes i could never get my tips leveled again no matter what i did... end of rant
We actually did cut a hole in the tunnel brace which helped one of the O2 sensors to clear. However, the other O2 sensor hit another part above the tunnel brace. So my friend ended up taking his cats to an exhaust shop and having them put a bung in the cats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sps View Post
1 last time I checked this is a camaro forum
2 complaining on behalf of someone else mmmm
3 I've purchased a number of items from texas speed never had a problem, always very helpful when calling for info or advice
1) A vendor is a vendor and this vendor sells Camaro parts. Thought it would be useful for people on this forum to know this experience.
2) I was there during the install and saw the pipes hit. To be honest, even though it wasn't my car, it kind of pissed me off when my friend told me they didn't make it right when he called them.
3) I'm glad you had a good experience from them. My friend bought a lot of stuff from them and we didn't have a problem with anything other than those 2 issues. The quality on the headers was really nice with the exception of the O2 sensors. The head bolt breaking was discouraging but it happens. Bad bolts get through sometimes. Luckily this bolt snapped during install and when the engine was running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbojones View Post
I am running their LTs for the Camaro and haven't had an issue. They fit quite well.
Glad you had a good experience with them. I wasn't trying to flame these guys and say they were garbage. I was simply posting a single experience that happened through Texas Speed. I understand that sometimes things happen. You can have a 1000 good transactions with customers and then have 1 bad transaction where a part doesn't fit right or the customer isn't happy. It happens to the best of businesses. To me, a good company needs good customer service that stands behind their products. They didn't do that in this case which was enough of a reason for me to write this heads up and decide not to do business with them in the future. If someone from TS&P comes on here and tells me my friend is an idiot then I will be happy to retract my review.
mgf7097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I don't think it's right to smear this company's name from getting second hand information.. This would have went over better if your friend took the time to sign up and maybe warned us with his own words.. Not bashing you my friend, just saying posting on the behalf of someone else leaves doubts..
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
wow, guy gets bad parts that don't fit his car, the OP posts about it - and about the lack of response from the company, yet you find issue with the OP? some of you guys drink too much kool aid! I also don't see it as smearing a company, if its what happened, its what happened...if anyone feels its smearing the company than perhaps the company should've handled it differently (not necessarily directed at TSP, but companies in general)
Turbonetics running 8lbs boost at 700rwhp tuned by Hi Rev, installed by K&M w/cat-muffler delete, ACS splitter, Fesler GFX, MPD1 spoiler, Custom painted Rally stripes, Cordon CR1 wheels 275/315s, Hotchkiss comp sways and end links, Barton shifter
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
What does it matter if the OP bought the parts or his friend did. Either way he was their during the install and noticed these issues. However, I think this information would be better put on the Vette forum to give those owners a heads up.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
How is it second hand info if the OP was there during the install???? Thanks for the heads up mgf7097, I get that you were just passing on a bad experience with the companies customer service. I have a friend that has the TSP headers on his Camaro and they are really nice. On the other hand the exhaust system that came with them in the set had to be taken to a muffler shop to be modified because it did not fit together. No customer service problem as he just took it and had it fixed, but I know this would have been a big deal to some people. I come here for info, good or bad, so thanks again for sharing.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgf7097 View Post
Wow, I was not expecting this response....:iono
Bet you won't make that mistake again. Just about everything you post on this forum will be torn apart. And it won't have not one damned thing to do with the intent of the thread.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote