Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
spare tire questions and concerns

not sure but i think i read in here somewhere that the ss will not have the spare option not sure of that .my concern is that in newyork state its a saftey violation not to have a spare tire and a jack.you can get a ticket for this .not sure about other states also what other kind of car would use the same size donut maybe we can find one of them at a juck yard or something.i guess we can use one from a malibu
camarossrs2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
That doesnt sound right to me.. Quite a few cars now days do not come with a spare or jack. Its also not part of the 'inspection' process (not required equipment) so I do not see how you can get a ticket for not having one.
jtzako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
I'm not happy about not having a spare tire. I'd rather sacrifice the weight and have one in the trunk in case I need it. My 350Z was a much smaller car and came with one.

To be honest, that's probably one of my biggest gripes about the car.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
TomSlick

Drives: 2014 RED HTO 2LT/RS
I opted for having less trunk space and a spare than relying on "inflate-a-flat" in a can!
TomSlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
i just called my buddy up who is a sgt in nyc he told that they used this method post 911 it was a way to get into peoples trunks to search for certain things .so they gave out tickets for no jack and sparetires as a safety infraction .my bad on that im sorry

Last edited by camarossrs2150; 04-17-2009 at 07:47 AM.
camarossrs2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 View Post
not sure but i think i read in here somewhere that the ss will not have the spare option not sure of that .my concern is that in newyork state its a saftey violation not to have a spare tire and a jack.you can get a ticket for this .not sure about other states also what other kind of car would use the same size donut maybe we can find one of them at a juck yard or something.i guess we can use one from a malibu
Those little donuts will not fit over the Brembo calipers on the SS. Don't waste your time looking! I have C5 brakes on my '98 SS and the same thing applies for me - my donut won't fit on the front wheels now because of the larger calipers.
I'm not too concerned about having just a can of "fix-a-flat" - that's what AAA and cell phones are for - but that can and an inflator will not be any help if you get a puncture in the sidewall.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
I opted for having less trunk space and a spare than relying on "inflate-a-flat" in a can!
You do know the spare is under the trunk so you don't lose trunk space at all.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
This thread 50% Wrong... The spare donut IS an option for an extra few bucks on the LS. It does fit... and it does not take up extra trunk space.

If you don't opt for the spare you get a built in electric pump with gauge in the well where the spare would have gone. It actually looks pretty heavy duty and nice.

Edit: For the SS you get the pump only...

This is 2009 and we all have cells now for the RARE sidewall tear.

Hope this helps clear things up...

Last edited by mlee; 04-17-2009 at 10:14 AM.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
OrangeCruSSh

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2500HD Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This thread 95% Wrong... The spare donut IS an option for an extra few bucks. It does fit... and it does not take up extra trunk space.

If you don't opt for the spare you get a built in electric pump with gauge in the well where the spare would have gone. It actually looks pretty heavy duty and nice.

This is 2009 and we all have cells now for the RARE sidewall tear.

Hope this helps clear things up...
I was told that it does not come with the SS model and that that option was a mistake to even be offered. Now I'm really confused.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
VenomZ302
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You do know the spare is under the trunk so you don't lose trunk space at all.
The donut will not fit over SS brakes, so you'd have to get a full sized spare (and one of each size, at that), which will limit your space.

Quote:
This thread 95% Wrong... The spare donut IS an option for an extra few bucks. It does fit... and it does not take up extra trunk space.
Not on the SS...

3/13/09 - Ordered Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS M6!
7/13/09 - Built!
8/11/09 - Delivered!

2G1FT1EW2A9124579
VenomZ302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:

This is correct - for the V6 car only. Donut spare (N65) is not available as an option on the SS.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I stand corrected for the SS... On my 2SS I was offered it and turned it down. Salesman probably didn't know what he was doing at the time. If I would have ordered the spare it probably would have bombed when they tried to put it in the system.

Good thing I didn't want it anyway. I will edit post
Old 04-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
RoRo

Drives: 2005 Corvette Lemans Blue
OK...so the spare offered on the LS won't fit over the Brembo brakes....but is that axle specific? Aren't the rear rotors a bit smaller than the front? If this is the case you could conceivably, in an emergency, swap out a wheel from rear axle and put it on the front, then put the spare on the rear. Obviously, you would have two different diameters on the rear, which is not good for the rear-end, but it would only be for an emergency situation.

I'm just asking if this is possible.

Anyone have the exact measurements?

Current car: 2005 Chevrolet Corvette coupe...lots of bolt ons....pretty quick
RoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
garfin
Resident Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
OK...so the spare offered on the LS won't fit over the Brembo brakes....but is that axle specific? Aren't the rear rotors a bit smaller than the front? If this is the case you could conceivably, in an emergency, swap out a wheel from rear axle and put it on the front, then put the spare on the rear. Obviously, you would have two different diameters on the rear, which is not good for the rear-end, but it would only be for an emergency situation.

I'm just asking if this is possible.

Anyone have the exact measurements?
Yes... and strangely enough the rear rotors are actually larger than the fronts on the SS! (14.4" in the rear vs. 14.0" in the front). The V6 cars have 12.6" rotors in the front and 12.4" rotors in the rear.
However, I believe the issue is not with clearance on the rotors, but clearance on the calipers. Front and rear calipers on the SS are both 4 piston Brembos. Single piston both front and rear on the V6 cars if I'm not mistaken.

Best regardSS,

Elie