Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You are correct about people like hearing the engine....but according to Ford's research, I believe, no-one liked the actual engine noise made by the actual engine in the car....That's why the sound was changed, massaged, "processed" to sound like something it's not....something different, more powerful, more old-school, more rumble, whatever....thus, it's a fake engine sound, not the engine sound you would get with the engine you are buying.....
Its not like McDonald's advertising a Big Mac that has neatly stacked toppings and a nice full, fluffy bun and then selling you a squished, sloppy mess. Thats a bait & switch. With these fake engine sounds, its about matching your experience to your expectations. If you thought you were driving something with a powerful engine and it sounds weak, you'll feel cheated. But if it sounds the way you expect (or perhaps even better), is it really a problem?

To use an analogy, think of movies & CGI. Its one thing to dislike a movie because of bad/unrealistic CGI or excessive 'enhancements' because those things take away from the viewing experience. But it would be another thing all together to to say that no movie should ever use CGI because the effects are not 'real'. That would mean, for example, that in Forrest Gump the character of Lt. Dan would have to either be played by a double amputee, rewritten so that he still has all his limbs, or always shot from awkward angles so that the actors shins could be hidden in each shot. Just to avoid a little bit of green-screen CGI. Now, I know that movies are staged creations so essentially, its all fake no matter what. Which brings me to my next point ...

What about all the various little things that are done to the intake & exhaust system to tweak the sounds that come from them? The length of each run, the number and angle of bends made, the internal baffles, the size and shape of the engine cover, the placement and thickness of acoustic insulation ... its all carefully tuned to make cars sound better. Arguably, thats fake too because its a concerted effort to modify the sound that a car makes to make it more acoustically pleasing. The gizmos & gimmicks in this thread are just another layer on top of that. Not better, not worse, just different.

In the end, it comes down to this: would you really prefer a product that fails to meet your expectations as a customer -so long as it does so authentically? I doubt it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its not like McDonald's advertising a Big Mac that has neatly stacked toppings and a nice full, fluffy bun and then selling you a squished, sloppy mess. Thats a bait & switch. With these fake engine sounds, its about matching your experience to your expectations. If you thought you were driving something with a powerful engine and it sounds weak, you'll feel cheated. But if it sounds the way you expect (or perhaps even better), is it really a problem?

To use an analogy, think of movies & CGI. Its one thing to dislike a movie because of bad/unrealistic CGI or excessive 'enhancements' because those things take away from the viewing experience. But it would be another thing all together to to say that no movie should ever use CGI because the effects are not 'real'. That would mean, for example, that in Forrest Gump the character of Lt. Dan would have to either be played by a double amputee, rewritten so that he still has all his limbs, or always shot from awkward angles so that the actors shins could be hidden in each shot. Just to avoid a little bit of green-screen CGI. Now, I know that movies are staged creations so essentially, its all fake no matter what. Which brings me to my next point ...

What about all the various little things that are done to the intake & exhaust system to tweak the sounds that come from them? The length of each run, the number and angle of bends made, the internal baffles, the size and shape of the engine cover, the placement and thickness of acoustic insulation ... its all carefully tuned to make cars sound better. Arguably, thats fake too because its a concerted effort to modify the sound that a car makes to make it more acoustically pleasing. The gizmos & gimmicks in this thread are just another layer on top of that. Not better, not worse, just different.

In the end, it comes down to this: would you really prefer a product that fails to meet your expectations as a customer -so long as it does so authentically? I doubt it.
Could not have said it better myself. I've even presented the analogy that exhaust systems and intake resonators are the exact same premise. I was only met with a comment on how exhaust is a mechanical alteration and not electronic so therefore they were ok and fully embraced.

Which causes me to think it's a lot like people hating on EFI when compared to carbs. New tech scares people, you adapt and mold that tech to do your will or you stay locked in the past, forever fearful.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #17
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Cant wait for the new electric car must make engine noise laws to pass. I wonder if they will have a set sound for them or if the car makers can pick and it just has to be a certain decibel range. Be funny if a car maker made one that gave you a selection v12, v10, v8, w16, inline 6, v6, turbo, supercharger, moped, lawnmower, weedwacker, vtwin, .......?????
They can always bring back the Varoom motor and install it on electric cars..
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
For anyone who may not have this engine sound speaker feature in your car and want one....the aftermarket has your back...

http://www.soundracer.se/?p=98
Need to get one for my Spark.....LOL
Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post

New tech scares people, you adapt and mold that tech to do your will or you stay locked in the past, forever fearful.
The new tech doesn't scare anyone....the only fear to be had is from the makers (Ford) of this fake engine sound, who tried to keep it from seeing the light of day....

After being discovered accidentally by a car magazine editor, this new tech which some blindly worship, has yet to pass the smell test and is turning out to be a PR disaster for Ford....So far the only justification I've heard is that BMW has done this....So that makes it a good thing???....Not necessarily....

Don't be afraid to call some new tech what it is: phony and bs....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #20
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
If Chevy had done this first people here would be praising it as a "Driving Experience Enhancement".
Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #21
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Quote:
The new tech doesn't scare anyone....the only fear to be had is from the makers (Ford) of this fake engine sound, who tried to keep it from seeing the light of day....

After being discovered accidentally by a car magazine editor, this new tech which some blindly worship, has yet to pass the smell test and is turning out to be a PR disaster for Ford....So far the only justification I've heard is that BMW has done this....So that makes it a good thing???....Not necessarily....

Don't be afraid to call some new tech what it is: phony and bs....
So I take it you didn't see or read my previous post? The Ford system is fundamentally different from the BMW system. The Ford system uses antiharmonics to cancel out noises the engineers didn't want in the cabin, it doesn't amplify any engine sounds. BMW on the other hand took it to the extreme and had an entire engine rpm range soundtrack to playback through the sound system.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #22
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
So I take it you didn't see or read my previous post? The Ford system is fundamentally different from the BMW system. The Ford system uses antiharmonics to cancel out noises the engineers didn't want in the cabin, it doesn't amplify any engine sounds. BMW on the other hand took it to the extreme and had an entire engine rpm range soundtrack to playback through the sound system.
Sorry but you are incorrect.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/16...se-control.htm

As shocking, and maybe even disappointing, as the 2015 Mustang's enhanced voice may be, Chief Mustang Engineer Dave Perciak revealed in a 2013 interview that the car's engine sound would be amplified by its sound system. Perciak was asked if the Mustang's 2.3-liter EcoBoost would sound like it belonged in the vehicle.

"With the EcoBoost engine we have both active noise cancellation and we also amplify the existing engine sound order," stated Perciak. "We don't create an artificial sound; we don't pluck one off the shelf; we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the EcoBoost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang, either."
Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
As stated previously if this had been on a camaro before the mustang everyone would be saying how great the technology is. I have test driven the eccoboost 4 cylinder mustang and I will say for what it is it sounds good. I defintely would not have been nearly as impressed if they hadn't used this technology and it sounded like a civic. The reality is v8s are old news rather people want to admit it or not. If you could get the perfect sound (right now it is not at that point yet), higher hp and torque, and better gas mileage out of a lighter weight v6 or 4 cylinder, why wouldn't you unless your ego is bigger than your wallet.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #24
essess

Drives: 10 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Sorry but you are incorrect.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/16...se-control.htm

As shocking, and maybe even disappointing, as the 2015 Mustang's enhanced voice may be, Chief Mustang Engineer Dave Perciak revealed in a 2013 interview that the car's engine sound would be amplified by its sound system. Perciak was asked if the Mustang's 2.3-liter EcoBoost would sound like it belonged in the vehicle.

"With the EcoBoost engine we have both active noise cancellation and we also amplify the existing engine sound order," stated Perciak. "We don't create an artificial sound; we don't pluck one off the shelf; we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers. Today's V6 sounds fantastic, and although the EcoBoost won't sound like a V8, it won't sound like it doesn't belong in a Mustang, either."

This is no different than a sound tube. It is ACTUAL engine noise frequencies from the ecoboost motor coming through the speakers. Its not like its a formula 1 v10 soundtrack playing as you wring the thing out or anything. Its nothing more than keeping the bad noise out and the good noise in. If the gen6 camaro has this it would be no skin off my back
essess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essess View Post
This is no different than a sound tube. It is ACTUAL engine noise frequencies from the ecoboost motor coming through the speakers. Its not like its a formula 1 v10 soundtrack playing as you wring the thing out or anything. Its nothing more than keeping the bad noise out and the good noise in. If the gen6 camaro has this it would be no skin off my back
You missed the point, he said ford just used noise canceling technology and did not amplify the sound of the engine through the stereo, which by fords own admission they do just that.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If a V8 revs in the forest and there is no there to hear it, does it still sound like a V8?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 PM   #27
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You missed the point, he said ford just used noise canceling technology and did not amplify the sound of the engine through the stereo, which by fords own admission they do just that.
To this post, I guess I misread or misheard that the system doesn't amplify sounds. At least they are actual sounds and not off the shelf stuff from a totally different engine.

Like it's been said, this tech is doing electronically what we've all been doing mechanically with CAI's and exhaust swaps forever. To keep the purity of your engine's unmodified sound, do you oppose them as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If a V8 revs in the forest and there is no there to hear it, does it still sound like a V8?
Well, sound is defined as:
sound
noun

vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear.

So...if there is no one or nothing there to absorb the vibrations and interoperate them...no...no it doesn't.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #28
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, just no one is there to hear it.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote