Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
catdaddy

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS CGM
USB Stick or MP3 Player

Like most of you, I am waiting impatiently for my Camaro to come in. In the mean time, I am thinking of all the things I want to get for it. The first thing I am gonna get is either a USB stick or an MP3 player to dedicate to the car. I know the radio can control both, and I know if will recognize the ID3 tag on the file but I wondering if it will recognize playlists on an MP3 player and allow you to play them or will it just dump all your songs into on list.

If it will, I will buy a small MP3 player and use that, otherwise I can get a USB stick for much cheaper.

I tried searching the threads for an answer to this question but couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.
catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
I'll connect my iphone up.... let it charge while I liten to music on it!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Plus you can hide the USB Stick and if it gets stolen they cost like $10. Stick for sure!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
USB flash drive for sure.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...604#post448604
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
I spent about 8 hours transferring my CD's to a USB stick yesterday in anticipation of our 5th Gen. I hope I did it correctly!

What is going to prevent stuff stored in the console of the car from banging against the USB stick, causing it to loosen up or break off?

http://modernclassicsauto.com
'68 Chevelle Malibu Coupe; '67 Chevelle Wagon; '99 Convertible Camaro SS #0069; '07 Z06; '06 Silverado Crew Cab 2500 4x4 dually; '14 Sonic RS Hatchback
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWLSS View Post
I spent about 8 hours transferring my CD's to a USB stick yesterday in anticipation of our 5th Gen. I hope I did it correctly!

What is going to prevent stuff stored in the console of the car from banging against the USB stick, causing it to loosen up or break off?
A usb Extension cord look it up
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Why not USB hard drive? Much more music.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
trudawg660

camaro can only index 10,000 songs and it wont read hard drives.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Like most of you, I am waiting impatiently for my Camaro to come in. In the mean time, I am thinking of all the things I want to get for it. The first thing I am gonna get is either a USB stick or an MP3 player to dedicate to the car. I know the radio can control both, and I know if will recognize the ID3 tag on the file but I wondering if it will recognize playlists on an MP3 player and allow you to play them or will it just dump all your songs into on list.

If it will, I will buy a small MP3 player and use that, otherwise I can get a USB stick for much cheaper.

I tried searching the threads for an answer to this question but couldn't find one. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.
I personally think a USB drive is definitely the way to go. You can still do playlists even on a USB drive, so you don't need an MP3 player. The one thing that you might want to consider is the amount of music you have. As has been stated elsewhere, the Camaro can only index 10,000 songs (due to memory limitations). You should still be able to browse all of your music using the 'Folder View' option in the menu, but it won't be indexed by Artist, Album, etc. If you do have a lot of music and need it indexed, you should get an iPod. The iPod does the indexing and stores the index on its hard drive (or flash memory), so there are no song index limits with an iPod.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Hey Codeman. Will the Camaro dig through subfolders while it's indexing songs? When I transfer music from my PS3 onto a thumb drive, it always goes into a "/Music/Artist_Album" type folder, like "/Music/Metallica_Reload." Is that going to work fine for the Camaro, or do I need to move all the mp3's from all the albums into one big folder?
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
HTWLSS
Camaro Disciple

Drives: Camaro, Chevelle, Corvette...
Send a message via MSN to HTWLSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg660 View Post
A usb Extension cord look it up

An extension cable leaves even more in the console to get tangled up. What will keep something in the console from bumping against whatever is plugged into the USB port from getting hit?
HTWLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Did you make them MP3s or WMAs (only those will work)? If you used iTunes to rip them, make sure you changed the default setting to rip to MP3 instead of AAC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
I personally think a USB drive is definitely the way to go. You can still do playlists even on a USB drive, so you don't need an MP3 player. The one thing that you might want to consider is the amount of music you have. As has been stated elsewhere, the Camaro can only index 10,000 songs (due to memory limitations). You should still be able to browse all of your music using the 'Folder View' option in the menu, but it won't be indexed by Artist, Album, etc. If you do have a lot of music and need it indexed, you should get an iPod. The iPod does the indexing and stores the index on its hard drive (or flash memory), so there are no song index limits with an iPod.
What about with a Zune? When I hooked my Zune up to the Camaro it had to "index" for a minute or two. Will it have this limitation?

Oh and thanks for supporting non-iPods. The Apple haters among us appreciate it greatly.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:

Not sure how different it is than the USB connection in my 135i, but I have not had any issues with this for over a year now .....

I think you'll be good to go ..

Crowley
Old 05-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
trudawg660

Quote:

An extension cable leaves even more in the console to get tangled up. What will keep something in the console from bumping against whatever is plugged into the USB port from getting hit?
well here you go
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Flex...p_ob_e_title_1