Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GMPP, Please Compete!

GM Performance Parts has a history of making some decent products. These include well-built exhaust setups, intakes for added performance or sound, and other accessories that help expand the list of options for a vehicle.

That is how GMPP bills itself, proudly touting its options as progressive product additions that help individual owners customize their new cars. Unfortunately, GMPP is wildly wrong. Owners don't want a catback exhaust or an intake from GM. People who are likely to purchase those products are infinitely more likely to seek out performance parts from a company respected for its performance. GMPP is not a respected company in this respect.

GMPP can improve its image by offering products that make it less of an extention of GM's options and more a method of customizing cars. Ford is already doing this. Offering everything from the products that will probably sell to some that almost certainly will not sell gives buyers an opportunity to purchase something that interests them. If the flashiest modification GMPP can do is floor mats, it shouldn't even exist.

GMPP should compete directly with the aftermarket by offering forced induction on V6 and V8 models of the Camaro, custom vinyls, additional wheel options for every single vehicle, warranty-backed tunes, and other parts that express to both the casual buyer and the enthusiast that GM is behind each car with support for whatever needs the driver has, be it to have a flashy ride, something fast, or something comfortable.

GMPP, get to work! You've fallen behind.

This thread is not an invite to discuss a comparative between GM and any other motor company. This thread is an opportunity to express our support as a community of enthusiasts for GMPP to build additional products and keep up with the competition. Inasmuch, let's be friendly and constructive.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Blur, if you pm JohnnyCamaro, here, I'm sure you'll get a ton o' reasons why...

Validation...

Certification...

As to WHY, there ARE a more-than-considerable number of folks who assume, rightly or wrongly, that if it carries the "GM Mark of Excellence", it's as good as it gets and/or they will NOT buy a similar item, elsewhere, under any circumstances...

With all the grief and aggravation GM's been through, we're frankly fortunate to still have GM PP...in ANY guise... Take their E-85 LS3 crate-engine program, for instance. NO ONE has anything like it...eco-friendly mega-power for "restifiers" that you can have delivered to Your Town USA...

"More sku's?"

In time...but most likely with a business case supported by "volume"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Well I think the major issue is people wanting to get performance boosts w/o voiding your factory warranty, am I correct? I agree, it'd be awesome if GMPP would offer serious performance options that wouldn't void the warranty. But LOWDOWN is right, they have to validate the parts to make sure that it won't break anything else during the warranty period. And this is very expensive from what I hear. And to make a large selection of parts available that will not break or cause other parts to break in the warranty period, would require a very large # of sales to justify the costs.

I wish they would though. I'd love to be able to do some serious upgrading and keep my warranty!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Well I think the major issue is people wanting to get performance boosts w/o voiding your factory warranty, am I correct? I agree, it'd be awesome if GMPP would offer serious performance options that wouldn't void the warranty. But LOWDOWN is right, they have to validate the parts to make sure that it won't break anything else during the warranty period. And this is very expensive from what I hear. And to make a large selection of parts available that will not break or cause other parts to break in the warranty period, would require a very large # of sales to justify the costs.

I wish they would though. I'd love to be able to do some serious upgrading and keep my warranty!
I actually have no concerns about the warranty. GMPP should offer some validation that the parts won't cause powertrain failures during a short period of time, but I have no problem with significant warranty reductions or replacing the original warranty with limited warranties on individual parts, much like the ones offered by aftermarket companies.

All I'm asking GMPP to do is support GM cars in the aftermarket the same way that certain competing companies do. While I would like GMPP to back products with even more progressive products, I cannot expect this within reason.

Ford has decided to start offering flame vinyls on Mustangs. I can't imagine that Ford is expecting a large number of orders, so there is no reason GMPP cannot offer similar customization. Vinyls are not that expensive. On the other hand, superchargers are very expensive. Despite this, Ford Racing offers superchargers. Once again, they have a direct competitor in production with a similar annual sales goal. There is no reason they can sell it and GM cannot, especially when GM has managed to earn a worthwhile profit on the Camaro.

Don't get me wrong. The fact that GM engineers engines with 100,000-mile warranties is great. Now, let's add some stuff to those engines in the aftermarket with GM engineering for those who can live with shorter warranties on their powertrains. GM engineers are among the best in the world. I think we'd all like a piece of their expertise in consideration when we're looking at parts to make our cars faster.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote