Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Why do you need pads on a 1 Y/O car.?

Hawk sells them on Ebay.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #16
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
And brakes aren't the place to start.

If he was changing his air filter or doing a tune up it wouldn't be a big deal, but when you are putting other people's lives at risk because of your inexperience and lack of knowledge in servicing brake systems, that isn't right.
You could tone it down. Is that how you learned, by someone standing behind you calling you stupid? Here's another idea, why don't you give him advice rather than put him down... brake pads ain't rocket science.

To the OP... You know what you need now, and it sounds like you know how to R&R the pads, replace them, bed them in, double-check your work, then stop back in and let us know how you like them.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
You could tone it down. Is that how you learned, by someone standing behind you calling you stupid? Here's another idea, why don't you give him advice rather than put him down... brake pads ain't rocket science.

To the OP... You know what you need now, and it sounds like you know how to R&R the pads, replace them, bed them in, double-check your work, then stop back in and let us know how you like them.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper595 View Post
well, considering the Duralast brake pads are the exact same part number between the v6 and the v8 models, I'd say you have the incorrect pads, sir. Lesson to be learned here: don't buy from advanced auto. Carquest is much better, if you have one near you.
He bought them from Autozone. I went to Advance Auto Parts for mine and they have excellent quality ceramic brakes. Worked just fine for mine and they have different pads for LS and SS. Plus they don't squeal anymore either so I would say it was an over all improvement not just for the brake dust.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Viper595
Redline drop, or go home

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
He bought them from Autozone. I went to Advance Auto Parts for mine and they have excellent quality ceramic brakes. Worked just fine for mine and they have different pads for LS and SS. Plus they don't squeal anymore either so I would say it was an over all improvement not just for the brake dust.

Apologies, I was under the impression that Advanced bought Autozone, or owned the rights to the company. In any case, you get what you pay for with parts. To the OP: I wasn't trying to flame or make you angry, was just pointing out that the particular website for Autozone doesn't carry any different brake pad parts between the v6 and the v8, which was the issue you were running into. As the others have posted, you can easily find aftermarket parts through a reputable distributor.

2010 Camaro SS #123444 - K&N Typhoon CAI, Muffler Delete, MPD-1 Spoiler, Headlight Armor Blackouts. Mods to come: longtubes/tune/flux capacitor

Understeer
is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Viper595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Not Completely true

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Well A you went to autozone. They sell nothing but garbage and I have yet to find somebody that works there that has any clue at all about anything they sell unless its listed on the computer. Its like walmart for cars. And yea. Dont do any more brake jobs til you are taught. The brake pads you purchased are physically completely different than the old ones off the car. If you cant pick up on that you shouldnt be working on cars. Especially brakes.

First pic is a genric pic of what your factory brake pads look like.
2nd pic is what you bought. Clearly a difference.
Well not completely true ! They know their wiper blade Applications.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #21
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Nope. I went to college to learn automotive engineering, service, and repair. Meaning I was taught by ASE Master Technicians in a classroom before being allowed to touch anything in the shop. Its a simple concept - you are taught the proper way to do something, you practice doing it in under the supervision of a professional, and then you can perform the task competently on your own.

You don't just start doing something without having a clue and assume you'll make out ok. Thats how things get done wrong and accidents happen. I could care less if someone wants to take their engine apart and screw it up, but when it comes to brake, suspension, and steering systems, those are not things to mess around with.

Rocket science has nothing to do with it, and it has nothing to do with being stupid. There is a huge difference between intelligence and having the knowledge and skills required to perform a task. How would you feel if someone ran into you or one of your family members because they improperly serviced their brake system which resulted in an accident and possibly serious injuries?? Its just not worth it.
Wesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
Old 03-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Nope. I went to college to learn automotive engineering, service, and repair. Meaning I was taught by ASE Master Technicians in a classroom before being allowed to touch anything in the shop. Its a simple concept - you are taught the proper way to do something, you practice doing it in under the supervision of a professional, and then you can perform the task competently on your own.

You don't just start doing something without having a clue and assume you'll make out ok. Thats how things get done wrong and accidents happen. I could care less if someone wants to take their engine apart and screw it up, but when it comes to brake, suspension, and steering systems, those are not things to mess around with.

Rocket science has nothing to do with it, and it has nothing to do with being stupid. There is a huge difference between intelligence and having the knowledge and skills required to perform a task. How would you feel if someone ran into you or one of your family members because they improperly serviced their brake system which resulted in an accident and possibly serious injuries?? Its just not worth it.

This guy I would not let him work on nothing of mine, He's a know it all.
I've worked on all kinds of auto's, 1981 fiat spyder, I had a guy like you tell me he could not replace a faulty fuel injector because there was oil in the cylinder. he informed me that i needed to rebuild the engine because the rings were bad. Hell all i neede was an injector, so went to AUTOZONE and got and injector, guess what problem went away.

Wessman I don't care if you wrote the book on Camaro's You don't neeed to talk down to people that are asking for help.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #24
V6owner
Cedar Creek Woodshop

Drives: One Badass 1LE
Quote:

Wow are you 12 or something? Chill out. He is just looking for advice
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #25
malvarez

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro Silver
I went to Carquest and they have the correct brakes. For anyone interested in knowing the part number, it is BCD1404. Thanks for your help.
malvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Hey malvarez what part of the bay you from? Alot of bay area guys around this forum