Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #57
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
fixed
Hahaha. But really... i dont think so. 4.6 is the SS's time. And thats what MT gave it.

And also in the stats you see the challenger's manual is faster. That is the first sign of a crappy automatic.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!

Last edited by SemperFi; 11-06-2008 at 11:43 AM.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 AM   #58
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Hahaha. But really... i dont think so. 4.6 is the SS's time. And thats what MT gave it.

And also in the stats you see the manual is faster. That is the first sign of a crappy automatic.
4.6 is the manufacturer's estimated time. It will be faster. Just like the V6 camaro (which, incidentally, low 14s for the 1/4 should be closer to 5.5 0-60, right?).
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #59
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post

And also in the stats you see the manual is faster. That is the first sign of a crappy automatic.
if autos are supposed to be slower how does that mean its a crappy auto?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #60
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
4.6 is the manufacturer's estimated time. It will be faster. Just like the V6 camaro (which, incidentally, low 14s for the 1/4 should be closer to 5.5 0-60, right?).
- Xanthos
I think you give them too much credit. they said the v6 would get 27 on the highway. But now they resign and say it 26. Id say 4.6 is where we will be. And im FINE with that. 4.6 is bustin butts.

Semper Fi!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #61
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
if autos are supposed to be slower how does that mean its a crappy auto?
Not anymore. look at porsche and mercedes. Almost all of their automatics are faster and more fuel efficient. Because they are well developed, with computer controlled shifts and what not. I think youd agree that a computer does a better job than your foot and hand...

Semper Fi!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #62
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Are you serious........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT Engineers

The 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T with its 375-hp 5.7-liter V8 and six-speed manual transmission accelerated to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds (5.5 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip), then reached the quarter-mile in 14.1 seconds
Lets not kid our selfs, the R/T will smoke the the LT

seriously 400 ft of torque

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #63
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
^ He's right. The R/T Challenger is pretty much on par with the Mustang GT, which will both smoke a Camaro V6.

Even IF the Camaro does 0-60 in mid 5's which I think is wishful thinking personally due to its weight and torque... 5.7-5.9 is probably the most accurate estimation that we can say for now. It's .1 quicker than the 5.8 time of the CTS 3.6L V6 and .1 slower. But seeing the Camaro V6 weighs around 120-200lbs lighter it should be capable of 5.7....

Needless to say it won't be beating the Challenger R/T or Mustang GT stock...
Old 11-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #64
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
^ He's right. The R/T Challenger is pretty much on par with the Mustang GT, which will both smoke a Camaro V6.

Even IF the Camaro does 0-60 in mid 5's which I think is wishful thinking personally due to its weight and torque... 5.7-5.9 is probably the most accurate estimation that we can say for now. It's .1 quicker than the 5.8 time of the CTS 3.6L V6 and .1 slower. But seeing the Camaro V6 weighs around 120-200lbs lighter it should be capable of 5.7....

Needless to say it won't be beating the Challenger R/T or Mustang GT stock...
Apparently the people at Road & Track have a broken stopwatch.

Semper Fi!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #65
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Yeah, but even if it doesn't beat them stock, one can do a lot of work with the 4500 dollars saved over the mustang GT and the 7500 saved over the challenger R/T.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM   #66
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Turbo vs Supercharger thread created

back on topic
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #67
Camaro82

Drives: 370z
I might be buying V6 Camaro.

All black!!!
Camaro82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #68
Beau

Drives: Fast
Arg... You guys make my head hurt.

I think I should probably clear up a few things about direct injection and my love (3.6DI).

Firstly, one of the issues is NOT fuel pressure overcoming cylinder pressure. Somone quoted 2000PSI for cylinder pressure. Yeah thats at peak cylinder ignition, you aren't injecting anything into the motor during an ignition event silly :] In addition to that direct injection is actually spraying at well over 1000 PSI, just an FYI.

To all of these "two words" guys that are using one reason the car is making power with 4.5 PSI.

It is a combination of the high compression ratio, direct injection as it cools the cylinder and intake charge, but more so the very good flowing heads.

One thing I wanted to add, you can knock with direct injection too, the ONLY reason why there is a lower propensity for knock is due to simple physics. Blast compressed air onto your hand, as the air moves from high pressure to low it absorbs heat during expansion, so it feels cool to your hand even though it was much hotter compressed. Same with the fuel, the dispersion and expansion of the atomizing fuel going from well over 1000 psi to a 200 psi cylinder ( not 2000, remeber the fuel hasn't ignited yet ) allows it to cool the air charge by a good margin.

I only hope GM moves to E85 with Direct Injection as well, the results would be remarkable, although I would imagine there would be an extra bit of sooting over the DI due to the cooling effect the alcohol would have over even the gasoline which already soots in a DI setup.

Last edited by Beau; 12-07-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #69
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
I had actually spoken to a retired GM engineer who still manages to keep himself in the know with GM's current engine line up, and I can't recall for the life of me what his specialization was called, he was a mechanical engineer but he had some specific title and did work specifically with engines.... Anyways I had spoken to him in regards to the 3.6L DI, VVT V6 and told him all the stats on the engine, like CR, etc....

And I was trying to get some info out of him regarding the engine's potential, I know that D3 performance has made some supposedly promising gains out of just a tune and intake, but he told me from what I told him that the engine stock is pretty close to its full potential, and that without doing any further extensive modifications like converting to F.I. or doing some major internal upgrades, that he wouldn't expect to see any more significant additional gains power wise coming out of the V6 that's going in the Camaro.

Although that just seems to be the case with most 6 cylinder engines....
Old 12-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #70
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Although that just seems to be the case with most 6 cylinder engines....
you must mean new 6 cylinders. in 1991 GMC took a regular 150hp 4.3 Sonoma and beefed it up to 330hp & called it a Syclone. guys have since then bumped them to over 1000hp.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote