Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Mavtop
2SS CGM with IOT

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM with IOT
Long term reliability between V6 and V8?

I was told that if I plan to keep this vehicle for an extended period of time like says 10+ years that a V8 will last longer ie. 100,000+ miles.

Anyone know if it is true?

Is there any evidence that a V8 camaro will outlast a V6 camaro in terms of being an everyday driver?
Mavtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I saw that in a couple threads.

It's just someones assumption. They should both last about the same.

It's a crapshoot as to when an engine gives out. We all know people with really old engines. My LT1 is number 3000's something of the first LT1's and it runs like new after 19 years.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Well my dad knows some stuff about engines and when he took a look at the crossection pics of the LS3 he told me to get a Camaro with it if I could. He instantly recognised it as a newer version of the same basic structure has been using since the 50s and said "Those are good engines, reliable as hell. Make sure you buy one of those." Aye sir!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
it all depends on how you drive and take care of, weather conditions on it etc. But some engines have been known to last forever whether they were 4,6,8 cyl etc. The oly GM 3800 has seemed to always be a real workhorse. The general idea seems like bigger engines seem to last longer because they work less. I just all depends. Some motors are just lemons too.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
For newer cars, 100,000 miles is not much at all. Most live to 200,000 miles and beyond regardless of 4,6 or 8.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavtop View Post
I was told that if I plan to keep this vehicle for an extended period of time like says 10+ years that a V8 will last longer ie. 100,000+ miles.
Maybe if you drove them exactly the same. But a V8 is going to encourage you to rag on it.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Here's what you have to keep in mind...from a mechanic's perspective.

Yes, they are building engines better these days. But...you still have to maintain them religiously. Do the oil changes when required...or before if you want to be real sure. When the sensors start giving trouble...have them replaced if needed. When you get a check engine light, find out why and correct the problem. When you hear a noise...as tempting as it is...do not turn up the stereo. Take it in and find out what it is and have it corrected.

On another note...I worked on a lot of N14's over the years (diesel) in the "big" trucks and have never had to OH one due to it being worn out. Maintenance abuse? Yes! Part failure? Yes!

You are in control of the maintenance abuse and driver abuse. Keep in mind that part failure may, or may not, be driver abuse. Guys with the V8's...you could possibly hear driver abuse on broken components so be prepared for that. But yes...for the most part you can make an engine last forever if the proper steps and safe guards are taken.
dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote