Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Potential Solutions to Radio Problems

Feel free to post permanent solutions to radio problems in this thread. In addition, to the solutions to radio problems, we should also address the pitfalls of these solutions. I provide an example below.

Solution: Install an aftermarket head unit using a specific wiring harness that fits the 2010 Camaro. Scosche may make one in the near future.

Pitfall: This solution may render steering wheel buttons useless.

Additional Solution: Find an aftermarket steering wheel without any buttons. [Indpower, can you make one?]

I thought I'd make this thread because I don't want to have significant problems with my radio as I really appreciate car audio and would be furious to find that I can barely use my iPod. After extensively updating my audio systems, I'd hate to find it repeatedly fail on me upon delivery of my Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Unless GM has provided some detailed information on the radio design, I doubt anyone is going to be able to make a replacement. And I highly doubt GM would provide the level of detail needed to do this. Tons of stuff for the rest of the car is controlled through the radio interface.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Unless GM has provided some detailed information on the radio design, I doubt anyone is going to be able to make a replacement. And I highly doubt GM would provide the level of detail needed to do this. Tons of stuff for the rest of the car is controlled through the radio interface.
Traditionally, Scosche has been able to make a wiring harness for about $15 for every car. My Cobalt harness cost over $100 in order to allow functionality of all door chimes and other equipment. It was a pain, so I'm wondering if any electronics experts, GM insiders, or knowledgeable persons could propose a solution. I understand how the radio is a functional piece of equipment for the car, but if I can't listen to music then it isn't doing its job.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
i plan on seeing what i can do with it once i get my car. going to be a pain in the ass w/o a wiring diagram but i'll do some tracing and metering to figure out as much as I can.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Traditionally, Scosche has been able to make a wiring harness for about $15 for every car. My Cobalt harness cost over $100 in order to allow functionality of all door chimes and other equipment. It was a pain, so I'm wondering if any electronics experts, GM insiders, or knowledgeable persons could propose a solution. I understand how the radio is a functional piece of equipment for the car, but if I can't listen to music then it isn't doing its job.
This problem will require MUCH more than a wiring harness. The Camaro deck actually has a full interface to adjust settings for the rest of the car. I don't know why they didn't just put this in the DIC with the other stuff. Now, maybe these settings are just modified by the head unit and are actually stored in some other part of the car's electronics? If that's the case (unlikely) you could potentially replace it.

I think the only person who could really shed much light on this is codeman71.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
codeman71
GM Employee

Drives: 2006 Pontiac G6
Quote:
I think the only person who could really shed much light on this is codeman71.
I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but it would be extremely difficult to replace the headunit. The only solution that I've seen is to leave what's already in the vehicle intact and just add on to it. I know that's not the most elegant solution, but I don't know of another way short of replicating all of the software that's running on the headunit and have the replacement be able to respond to all of those commands.

Check out my videos on YouTube here. Let me know if you'd like to see any other type of video.
codeman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman71 View Post
I'm not gonna say it's impossible, but it would be extremely difficult to replace the headunit. The only solution that I've seen is to leave what's already in the vehicle intact and just add on to it. I know that's not the most elegant solution, but I don't know of another way short of replicating all of the software that's running on the headunit and have the replacement be able to respond to all of those commands.
Would a CleanSweep unit be able to improve functionality? I'm just trying to figure out a way to improve audio quality by making sure that my music plays, displays titles, and sounds better than stock.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #8
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Pretty much what I was thinking. And unless GM releases some sort of tech doc on what commands those are it would be a pain in the ass to reverse engineer all that. This is MUCH more than just a simple door chime heh.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
ZENX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
I suppose this is the best place to ask this question:

Do you guys know of any wiring harness that would work with the 2010 Camaro in order to install the Parrot MKi 9200 bluetooth kit such that the audio from the Parrot can be channeled through the car's speakers and the parrot and mute the audio when there is a call coming in.
ZENX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing... Like where in the car can I stash a kenwood deck so it doesn't look silly and still be able to access it.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
PolishMike

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Too much is controlled by the head unit to replace it. I doubt anyone will ever be able to do it and if they do you will most likely lose a LOT more than radio controls.

The easiest option is to add a head unit somewhere else, run new wires to the speakers (or most likely RCA's to the amp and speaker wires to the amp. Not a big deal.
IOM w/ White Stripes 2SS RS M6 #17772
Now - Stainless Works 2" Headers, Intake, Cam, tune, ect
And shepherds we shall be, For thee my lord for thee. Power has descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.In nomine Patri, Et Fili, Spiritus Sancti
PolishMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #12
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZENX View Post
I suppose this is the best place to ask this question:

Do you guys know of any wiring harness that would work with the 2010 Camaro in order to install the Parrot MKi 9200 bluetooth kit such that the audio from the Parrot can be channeled through the car's speakers and the parrot and mute the audio when there is a call coming in.
If the parrot has a miniplug you can use that to the audio jack for the factory PDIM. As for having it mute the car's audio when a call comes in, good luck....
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
Hess RS
Account Suspended

Drives: 91 Camaro RS
im doing a double din conversion right now, so stay tuned, and check out the double din post. steering wheel controls, onstar, door and light chimes will all still work. Someone had to do it :-)
Hess RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:01 AM   #14
jayson71

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Pretty much what I was thinking. And unless GM releases some sort of tech doc on what commands those are it would be a pain in the ass to reverse engineer all that. This is MUCH more than just a simple door chime heh.
Sometimes it's good to be tone def. Never though it would make my life easier.

Good luck guys keep us posted.
jayson71 is offline   Reply With Quote