Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
MikeySmash

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Oil pump goes out and causes lots of problems.

I have a 2012 2SS/RS with 10k miles. I was pulling out of the garage and I get a warning telling me to turn off the engine and I do. I get it towed to the dealer and they tell me after 2 days, the oil pump is bad and we are going to replace it. Next day they said thrust bearing needs to be replaced too. So they get it back together and when they were test driving it they heard a tapping noise, 3 days later i get a call. It needs a new crank shaft and 2 new rods. After lots of delays they have the parts in and are trying to get it back together but they still need to look at my rear end. when I turn sharp at slow speeds the rear end shakes alot. seems like its bouncing around corners. Has anyone heard of things like this happening and should I be worried about more stuff in the near future to go wrong with the engine. Thanks for any help
MikeySmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Tell them to quit f'ing with it and get you a new motor. The flunkies at my dealership can't even fix the damn radio let alone piece together an engine. Sounds like the rear end needs the limited slip additive put in it. Good luck.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Sucks. Sounds like one of those times where you just wish it was totalled out and replaced. That's a whole lot of I-hope-they-get-it-right.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
MikeySmash

Thanks I was hoping for a new motor and they were about to get one but they "found" the problem and are going to fix it. I sure do hope they get it right
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
They have been inside that motor 3 times for Oil starvation damage Period.

What they can't see now is what will turn up later and with what has happened most likely more has been damaged.....Demand a new engine or a Car.

track the days it has been in the shop..it's got to be close
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
fast34me

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Demand a new car for the issues with the rear end and the engine. Do your own research on CA Lemon Laws.
fast34me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
They have been inside that motor 3 times for Oil starvation damage Period.

What they can't see now is what will turn up later and with what has happened most likely more has been damaged.....Demand a new engine or a Car.

track the days it has been in the shop..it's got to be close
Totally agree with this statement......you don't know what the hell happened in there!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeySmash View Post
I have a 2012 2SS/RS with 10k miles. I was pulling out of the garage and I get a warning telling me to turn off the engine and I do. I get it towed to the dealer and they tell me after 2 days, the oil pump is bad and we are going to replace it. Next day they said thrust bearing needs to be replaced too. So they get it back together and when they were test driving it they heard a tapping noise, 3 days later i get a call. It needs a new crank shaft and 2 new rods. After lots of delays they have the parts in and are trying to get it back together but they still need to look at my rear end. when I turn sharp at slow speeds the rear end shakes alot. seems like its bouncing around corners. Has anyone heard of things like this happening and should I be worried about more stuff in the near future to go wrong with the engine. Thanks for any help
I apologize for the delay and inconveniences you may be experiencing with your dealership and the service of your vehicle. We definitely appreciate your patience as they work to resolve these issues for you. As for the rear end issue you are having; have you brought this concern to their attention? This may be the best thing to do. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
New engine period.
You don't starve an engine of oil and just take out a thrust bearing and a couple rod bearings (I'm guessing those were spun too or they wouldn't be replacing the rods also). All of the engine bearings have been damaged. And who knows what else. Cam bearings for sure.
willhe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Men that sucks, what dealer did you took youre car to?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Call me a cynic, but i think your dealer wants lots of warranty hours. Engine swap - 5 hours? strip, rebuild etc etc, wouldn't be surprised if they put in 30 hours.
When you get it back, drive the crap out of it, and when (not if) it lets go...carry on driving until its totally destroyed...
This does not seem right -- sorry old chap
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
Yea I would be curious what dealer this is too. I have been working primarily with one dealer in SD, and sadly they have been unable to reproduce my issues. I am curious which dealer yours is, and what your end result will be.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
you'd think GM woulda already fixed the oil pump issue by 2012 models.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
MikeySmash

The update I got was the reason it is taking so long is due to hair line scratches on 2 replacement crank shafts and GM is the one telling dealership to not use those ones. GM inspected the new crankshaft before shipping and it has arrived and should be together soon. They are going to look at rear end as soon as its done since they couldn't drive it. They are also putting in paper work to make one of my monthly payments since they have had it so long. Don't know if they will. I plan on driving it hard since I'm afraid and prob sure it's going to break down again. I took it to Courtesy Chevrolet in San diego, CA