Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #29
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
It also isnt big enough to be a functional anything.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #30
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It also isnt big enough to be a functional anything.
It's functionally big enough to be an annoyance!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #31
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
no hoods. Too expensive to manufacture. The slit isn't even on the hood anyways.
Hoods are not too expensive to manufacture. How many different hoods are available from Ford for the Mustang (stock, GT, Boss, Shelby GT, Shelby KR)?

If they had put that stupid immature mail slot in the hood, buyers would at least have the opportunity to get rid of it by going aftermarket and at the same time, getting a whole different look if they wanted to. This car was supposed to be about individuality being able to create your own personalized look according to Scott et all.

Oh by the way - KITT called, he wants his look back....

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM   #32
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro View Post
Off the top of my head other non-functional things on Camaros...
Hood stacks on the first gen SS
Fender slits on the '69
Iroc hood louvers
91-92 Z hood buldges
And Fake double hood scoops on 93-97 4th gens.

Grill openings on 4thgen passing air directly to... front bumper support. They could have made that one a solid bumper, because it was a bottom feeder but it would have looked goofy as hell.

All spoilers on every gen.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #33
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Hoods are not too expensive to manufacture. How many different hoods are available from Ford for the Mustang (stock, GT, Boss, Shelby GT, Shelby KR)?

If they had put that stupid immature mail slot in the hood, buyers would at least have the opportunity to get rid of it by going aftermarket and at the same time, getting a whole different look if they wanted to. This car was supposed to be about individuality being able to create your own personalized look according to Scott et all.

Oh by the way - KITT called, he wants his look back....

You can get rid of it, buy the V6 version and replace it or swap with someone who wants the slit. No big deal.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #34
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
the scoop is part of the original show car design

1) even if the scoop on the Camaro is fake it still looks cool and everyone begged GM to make the Camaro exactly like the show car and the scoop is in the exact same place, although i think the show car scoop looks wider.
2) RS/SS sounds like the easy solution to remove the scoop slot.
3) mustang GTs have a fake hood scoop, just like my mustang GT. i thought it was cool at the time.
4) although many grownups know they dont need a fake scoop, there is a crowd out there who has to have some kind of scoop/stripes/spoilers/etc. so that scoop looks like a compromise but it definitely flows with the lines of the car and non-enthusiasts probably will think that it is a real scoop anyway since other camaros in the past had real ones.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #35
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
You can get rid of it, buy the V6 version and replace it or swap with someone who wants the slit. No big deal.
Ya but my problem is that I like everything else about the SS front facia (wider chin spoiler, wider lower grill, corner kick outs). I'll figure something out. BTW - those front facias are not as easy to change as a hood is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
1) even if the scoop on the Camaro is fake it still looks cool and everyone begged GM to make the Camaro exactly like the show car and the scoop is in the exact same place, although i think the show car scoop looks wider.
2) RS/SS sounds like the easy solution to remove the scoop slot.
3) mustang GTs have a fake hood scoop, just like my mustang GT. i thought it was cool at the time.
4) although many grownups know they dont need a fake scoop, there is a crowd out there who has to have some kind of scoop/stripes/spoilers/etc. so that scoop looks like a compromise but it definitely flows with the lines of the car and non-enthusiasts probably will think that it is a real scoop anyway since other camaros in the past had real ones.
RS/SS would not change the scoop. Front facia on SS remains the same when RS is added. It is only the headlights and color of SS emblem that changes (possibly the grill).

If the KITT car look is going to get more sales then leave it in but mine will be removed. In the meantime, I think I am going to get into the aftermarket biz and go talk to a manufacturer in China about making a insert for the slit which has a little red light going back and forth......
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #36
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
it's better than no scoop at all!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #37
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
it's better than no scoop at all!
That's where we differ. I love the clean look of the upper header panel of the RS in your sig. I find the scoop makes the front too busy. No scoop also makes the bulge in the hood more noticeable.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
That explains why...

Good pic of the shrowd and hood latch in relationship to the scoop.

I still wonder if that can be cut out. It will probably at least cool the radiator/engine bay a little better.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Good pic of the shrowd and hood latch in relationship to the scoop.

I still wonder if that can be cut out. It will probably at least cool the radiator/engine bay a little better.
I bet there is room underneath that reinforcement/cover.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #40
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdago View Post
That seems to be the standard respone to something that is not quite up to expectations. The response from everyone is "Don't Worry" you can take care of it with after market parts".

Would it not be great if it came with the wider backend and the functional front scoop and rear scoop in front of the rear tires. I do not know about you but I would be one happy camper.
I agree 100%. I would love to get my car from the factory the way I want it, but I still like modifying it. For me, those modifications make my car mine, and if a functional scoop is not standard, it makes mine just a tad better than the next one.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 07-23-2008, 12:17 PM   #41
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I bet there is room underneath that reinforcement/cover.
Agreed
Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #42
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
You could switch to a pin-on hood and remove the latch. I also see why all models have the cowl hood. Looks like that is for motor clearance, even on the V6.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Closed Thread

Tags
2010, intake, mail slot, scoop