Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
LG chassis/subframe brace review

see bottom for review...started out with questions...lol...

Ok...I talked to a shop guy at LG today. And will call Anthony Monday and see what's up...but I was told they have never heard anything like this...so I'm getting feed back.

Two areas of concern:
Problem 1
The threaded insert that goes Closest to the outside of the car (insert for chassis that has one threaded bolt hole and a tab) will not fit into the oblong/rectangle hole to get into place. I can grind the insert and make it fit without problem.
Problem 2
The brace when flush with the front 8 mounting points is a good 3/4" to an inch from touching the rear cradle at the back mounting points. I didn't receive the nylock nuts but a trip to the hardware store will fix that. But I'm puzzled that we are preloading the rear cradle that hard. The tech said 'yes'. I will have to buy longer bolts for the rear four mounting points to go into the rear cradle to be able to reach and pull this together. I can work my way around the brace and probably tweak it all in line...but wow that's a lot of deflection.

I shouldn't have this trouble with something that is a 30 min install. Not my first rodeo with stuff like this either, heck, we installed the blower on this car with no issue. That's way more involved. Hs anyone else out there installed one of these and had anything similar?

Last edited by grocerygetter; 09-11-2012 at 11:05 AM.
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
They are good people, i'm sure they will get you taken care of on Monday.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
grocerygetter
instigator

No I don't doubt that at all...I posted this not bashing them but to see if my car is a 'freak'.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
10-4
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
grocerygetter
instigator

talked to Anthony today...I must have got the wrong hardware kit or missing part of it. Just left hardware store so problem solved. I ground those mounting inserts so that they fit. The deflection sounds normal. They are preloading those bars hard. Not a bad thing if it all goes on smoothly. Will find out tomorrow!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
grocerygetter
instigator

REVIEW:

With alterations above made...everything went right together as planned. Tighten down the back as you tighten down the front. there were two of us so it took like 15 minutes. lol
The car has Pfadt springs and sways (stage 2), 10" wheels all four corners with 275 nto5s...this addition of the LG brace for sure made a difference. It was very noticeable how much more flat the car is in a turn. The car feels much more stable in transitions turning left and right. Also initial turn it is a little crisper. From a dead stop it still spins up to third..lol...enter 3.70 gears and a blower. The difference is the nasty tail whip when you hit third is gone. It just chirps third now. It also goes straight when it spins. I look forward to the drag radial and 18" set up on the way and to go to the track. I personally think the LG, Hotchkis, and SLP are the only braces doing it 'right' by anchoring the rear cradle to the chassis. That's merely my opinion. The pre-load in the LG kit is awesome, plus the price beats the other two listed. LG is also half the profile of the SLP and I think just as strong or stronger than the hotchkis. LG gives you the option to add their other braces if you want as well. IMO...worthwhile mod for sure.
Any negatives you ask? well, you can barely notice some more NVH out of the chassis. Nothing really making it ride worse...but you feel more connected to the road. More vette like (I had a FRC C5).