Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
bradford027

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
Fe3 to fe4 conversion problem

Im trying to do the fe4 sway bar conversion on my 2010 ss. On the rear I cant seem to get the bolt out closet to the differential on the factory fe3 lower control arm. This thing is kickin my ass! Lol. Is there a trick? Ive used map gas and every bf hammer in my arsenal and it wont budge! Am i missing something?
Attached Images

bradford027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Have you tried to unscrew it? Honestly not trying to be a dick with that comment but when I did my conversion I think that one had to be unscrewed from where it sits. Might try holding the control arm up and then pushing or unscrewing it? My main problem was the shock mount and getting the hub to line up correctly.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #3
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Did this recently and don't remember having a problem getting it out. Sorry I can't help you out.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
bradford027

I tried running it in and out with an impact and i only get a quarter turn each way. The "cam washer" or whatever its called keeps it from turning. I think the bolt is seized to the inside of the bushing. If i could knock it out even a little i would have a fighting chance of running it out with an impact but it wont move at all. 3lb sledge, 5lb sledge, 4 lb deadblow hammer, map gas, pb blaster......nothin!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
The bolt is trash. Just cut it out with a sawzall. Get a new bolt, bushing and be happy with better poly bushings.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
bradford027

Heres a picture of the "cam washer" that keeps me from turning the bolt.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
bradford027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotls1 View Post
The bolt is trash. Just cut it out with a sawzall. Get a new bolt, bushing and be happy with better poly bushings.
Just about did this, im not sure if i can get a new bolt this weekend is all that kept me from it.

Last edited by bradford027; 02-20-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
I just did lowering springs and had trouble with this bolt on both sides. I was only trying to loosen it to re-time the bushings. I ended up saying forget it as that bushing is very flexible and I was able to loosen everything else. I just assumed for whatever reason it is seized to the inner race of the bushing.

Also heating it will probably not work as you need the inner race to expand from heat. Heating the bolt itself would just make it worse. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but at least you know your not alone.
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
If you get it out of the alignment grooves then it should comes out. Not sure why yours is stuck between them but best bet might be to either cut it or try and thread the nut back on and see if you can get the other side. The fe4 control arms still have the mount for the fe3 sway bar so you could swap one side, wait for a new bolt then cut that sucker off when you get the new one. Kinda surprising how something that really only requires three bolts to be removed takes so long.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
That is the camber eccentric bolt. It's suppose to spin freely for alignment adjustments. If a good 1/2" impact gun or long breaker bar can't spin it, it is seized in the bushing. I would try brute force with the impact/breaker, then just cut it off if. I know my bolt was hard to remove when the trailing arm was applying toe, but your looks like it's fully disconnected.

If you can't find a GM replacement rear camber eccentric, try JPSS. Their bolt provides more camber range when lowering. If you don't mind used, I can look for my old one in my old parts pile. Good luck.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
bradford027

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
That is the camber eccentric bolt. It's suppose to spin freely for alignment adjustments. If a good 1/2" impact gun or long breaker bar can't spin it, it is seized in the bushing. I would try brute force with the impact/breaker, then just cut it off if. I know my bolt was hard to remove when the trailing arm was applying toe, but your looks like it's fully disconnected.

If you can't find a GM replacement rear camber eccentric, try JPSS. Their bolt provides more camber range when lowering. If you don't mind used, I can look for my old one in my old parts pile. Good luck.
Yeah...I spent another hour or so on it this morning with no luck. I'm sure that its frozen in the bushing. I tried the drivers side and it seems the same, although I didn't put a lot of effort into that one lol. I called every gm dealer within driving distance and no one stocks the bolts or washers. I ordered two of each so hopefully by Tuesday ill be back in business. I did get the front BMR sway bar installed with new links. I expected the front to give me issues but it went smooth! I will check on those aftermarket bolts as well. I do have Hotchkis 1" drop springs but when I took it for an alignment after installing them a couple months ago it came right in the shop said. Are the the JPSS bolts only needed sometimes or it more of a standard thing with drop springs?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford027 View Post
Yeah...I spent another hour or so on it this morning with no luck. I'm sure that its frozen in the bushing. I tried the drivers side and it seems the same, although I didn't put a lot of effort into that one lol. I called every gm dealer within driving distance and no one stocks the bolts or washers. I ordered two of each so hopefully by Tuesday ill be back in business. I did get the front BMR sway bar installed with new links. I expected the front to give me issues but it went smooth! I will check on those aftermarket bolts as well. I do have Hotchkis 1" drop springs but when I took it for an alignment after installing them a couple months ago it came right in the shop said. Are the the JPSS bolts only needed sometimes or it more of a standard thing with drop springs?
I had the old Pedders eccentrics(same design as JPSS) from 2010. My car was lowered ~1" and I could adjust rear camber to 0*. Was trying to get the car more balanced on the old FE3 style bars. Since then, I've upgraded to the newer outboard sways and have 27mm/32mm so I've kept the rear to -0.8* to -1.0* for handling. You should be able to get -0.8* on the OE eccentrics.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Hm That's strange, Have you tried jacking up the spindle? Also, the driver's side bolt gets stuck hitting the gas tank (some people it doesn't). I lowered the cradle about an inch and it came out. Good luck. I hated doing the suspension
Old 02-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #14
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
+1 unweight (jack up) the outside end of the control arm. Of course a little WD40 is always a good idea too!

Have you got it out yet?
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote