Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-28-2009, 05:10 AM   #57
jking

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
I also say no to undercoating. Years ago (15-20), there was a big undercoating business in this area. (New England) The product names were Z-Bart (oil based material) and later "Rusty Jones" which was a paraffin based product. All the dealers provided it, and you could get it privately as well. I think it helped a bit, but there were other problems such as the undercoating getting into the door locks and so forth. They used to drill holes all over the place and squirt it inside of the panels, and then pop in little plugs.

Another problem was that it would block the passages and holes that are designed to drain water. For example, most car doors have small holes at the bottom so that any water that gets by the window can drain out. Block those holes and the water just sits in there.

Well, in the last 10 years or so, I don't think you can find anyone who does undercoating any more around here. Apparently it either does not work, or the cars don't need it. If you drive your car in the winter around here, it's gonna rust, no matter what.
Wow, Z-Bart, Rusty Jones...I remember them! When I bought a new Buick Skylark in 1978, Z-Bart was big back then. So I made an appt with them and had it done. Back then, it was a good thing, but not these days. That was the last time I had undercoating done on a new car purchase, and I've purchased plenty of them since then. And I've been living around the Great Lakes all my life, so I've seen my fair share of snow, ice, and salt. I've never had a rust problem at all, at least not enough to cause me concern.
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #58
Amelia98
Honorary Female Member =)

Drives: Camaro and a PT Cruiser
I've talked to several people about the top and undercoats that are offered by dealerships. The consensus(?) is that these are overpriced and basically useless if you maintain your car on your own. My price was about the same give or take a hundred dollars with the 21" tires, engine cover, tax and title.

Congrats and ditch the undercoat.

VROOM VROOM
Amelia98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #59
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
It is a spray they put on the car to seal it. I believe that is how they did my sport trak when I got it.
Did you like it. Bey Chevy said they would do it complimentary.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #60
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
useless, especially if you wont drive it in the winter, and its gets black shit all over. Your car body is covered for 6 years anyways
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #61
Danno

Drives: 1993 Trans Am, 2007 Acadia
Regarding that Kevlar stuff: If it's just a sealant, what makes it more resistant to washing road wear than, say, wax? If the stuff is sprayed on, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that the answer is "nothing". I reckon that first time you clay-bar your car it'll be gone, and most assuredly the first time you put a buffer on it.

If it really is a hard sealant, well, then I have a hard time believing that there's some magical spray-able Kevlar that can actually take the impact of a rock chip. If this was true, why don't we have spray-on facial paints for our soldiers to deflect shrapnel?

My advice? If you're concerned about a "paint sealant" (which is what the clear coat is anyway, right?) Go get a good aftermarket polish/wax system like Zaino or Klasse,

previous cars, starting with my first.
1970 Nova
1967 RS/SS Camaro
1969 Chevelle
1970.5 Camaro
A long, undistinguished line of sedans, SUV's, and minivans.

Last edited by Danno; 05-28-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #62
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Regarding that Kevlar stuff: If it's just a sealant, what makes it more resistant to washing road wear than, say, wax? If the stuff is sprayed on, I'll bet dollars-to-donuts that the answer is "nothing". I reckon that first time you clay-bar your car it'll be gone, and most assuredly the first time you put a buffer on it.

If it really is a hard sealant, well, then I have a hard time believing that there's some magical spray-able Kevlar that can actually take the impact of a rock chip. If this was true, why don't we have spray-on facial paints for our soldiers to deflect shrapnel?

My advice? If you're concerned about a "paint sealant" (which is what the clear coat is anyway, right?) Go get a good aftermarket polish/wax system like Zaino or Klasse,
Well, I know there have been some who have said their paint scratched by rubbing against it with their jeans. But I am not too concerned about it. I just figured if they were gonna do it at NO cost, why not. Free wax job right. I just don't want something on their that will be a pain in the ass.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #63
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
If this was true, why don't we have spray-on facial paints for our soldiers to deflect shrapnel?
Because it's horrible for your complexion
Old 05-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #64
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadiesMan217 View Post
Because it's horrible for your complexion
I know some women that just might be using it.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #65
orion007

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Ok guys. I need your help. Dealer faxed my full price this morning to the office. $43,996.02

Acceptable to me. Remember, I ordered the 21" wheels. Anyway, this price is lock stock and barrel. After tax-tag-and everything. The only thing is the 'Undercoat'. 600.00 for the undercoat. I've heard and been told not to do it that it voids the factory warranty.

Should I let them undercoat or not? . Thanx in advance.
This doesn't suprise me since you are dealing with Bay Chevrolet. They are crooks and always will be. They love to do stuff like this. Watch out for that $499 doc fee to. They are notorious for marking up corvettes $5000-10000. When I bought my 06 C6 I went in there to try and make a deal on thier sunset orange metallic one. There were only 2 that color in the whole southeast. One of my good friends was a salesman there and the sales manager would not even consider MSRP for a friend of the salesman. It wasn't like they were that much demand anyway they had been out for a year already. Needless to say I drove to Atlanta and trailered my vette back to Mobile and got supplier pricing to boot. That drive saved me almost $9000 from what BAY wanted. I would much rather order from UJ Chevrolet. They never mark up their cars, hell they are even keeping their dealer camaro for 30 days. They told me the first person that shows up the day it is released for sale gets it for MSRP. Bay on the other hand tried to sell me their black 1LT dealer car last week one afternoon. This was after someone had already paid a deposit on it and was coming in the next couple days to get it. I just walked out, couldn't believe it.
orion007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM   #66
69beast
Account Suspended

Drives: 69 nova 67 hc mustang
you have to have it

I'd say get it....................just because everyone else said not to!!
69beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #67
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion007 View Post
This doesn't suprise me since you are dealing with Bay Chevrolet. They are crooks and always will be. They love to do stuff like this. Watch out for that $499 doc fee to. They are notorious for marking up corvettes $5000-10000. When I bought my 06 C6 I went in there to try and make a deal on thier sunset orange metallic one. There were only 2 that color in the whole southeast. One of my good friends was a salesman there and the sales manager would not even consider MSRP for a friend of the salesman. It wasn't like they were that much demand anyway they had been out for a year already. Needless to say I drove to Atlanta and trailered my vette back to Mobile and got supplier pricing to boot. That drive saved me almost $9000 from what BAY wanted. I would much rather order from UJ Chevrolet. They never mark up their cars, hell they are even keeping their dealer camaro for 30 days. They told me the first person that shows up the day it is released for sale gets it for MSRP. Bay on the other hand tried to sell me their black 1LT dealer car last week one afternoon. This was after someone had already paid a deposit on it and was coming in the next couple days to get it. I just walked out, couldn't believe it.
Damn. Bay did charge me the Document fee, but it was 249.00 and they only had taken 1 order on a Camaro before mine so I jumped on it. Allready got the out the door price. MSRP+Tax Tag and Del. The delivery is bogus too. 250.00 so basically I'm paying an extra 500.00 but I'm good with it because my car will be there on Monday. First time I'm dealing with Bay.

The old guy that was buying the Black 1LT backed out or the deal. They are still trying to sell it though. But at least they aren't asking over MSRP for anything. They've been pretty up front and honest with me. The undercoating I initialy agreed on but cancelled yesterday.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #68
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Damn. Bay did charge me the Document fee, but it was 249.00 and they only had taken 1 order on a Camaro before mine so I jumped on it. Allready got the out the door price. MSRP+Tax Tag and Del. The delivery is bogus too. 250.00 so basically I'm paying an extra 500.00 but I'm good with it because my car will be there on Monday. First time I'm dealing with Bay..
Yep the extra 500 is bogus, but after waiting this long it's a drop in the bucket. I would let them know about it if they want a repeat customer.

My Doc fee was 50 bucks and when they found out my financing was with USAA they gave me $750 off on the spot. I knew about the 750, but it had to be a dealer on my banks preferred list. When I checked they were not. What a cool suprise... I gave my salesman a $50 steak dinner card for that one.

CONGRATS you are in for a great ride next week! I'm having a blast in my 4th day and 375 miles.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #69
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yep the extra 500 is bogus, but after waiting this long it's a drop in the bucket. I would let them know about it if they want a repeat customer.

My Doc fee was 50 bucks and when they found out my financing was with USAA they gave me $750 off on the spot. I knew about the 750, but it had to be a dealer on my banks preferred list. When I checked they were not. What a cool suprise... I gave my salesman a $50 steak dinner card for that one.

CONGRATS you are in for a great ride next week! I'm having a blast in my 4th day and 375 miles.
I would complain about it but I just want my car before something bad happens. Looks like I'll be getting in on 'B' day. lol
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #70
livestrong11

Drives: Black 2009 Z06
irpq11 i have been researching the kevlar finish for 3 weeks now since i picked up my new Z06. a kevlar spray will last 6-8 months and very benificial to black cars to help prevent the dreaded swirls you can really see in black. my buddies friend owns a corvette place in dallas texas he restores old and new vettes. he told me not to do the kevlar that the clear coat is sufficient the first year and to only use spray wet and dry car wax every third wash the first year.then after that to use a good wax every 6 months.(also use a micro fiber dry towel from auto zone NO STREAKS) I LOVE BLACK BUT DAM IT MAKES ME CRAZY!!!
Attached Images

livestrong11 is offline   Reply With Quote